Author Topic: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers  (Read 133924 times)

Offline Foxfire

• Prepper
Re: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2011, 01:04:30 AM »
I'm having a major problem with keeping more than two windows open.  How can I change this?  Most times you can just click on the back button but this new computer is different.

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2011, 06:05:20 AM »
Foxfire,

Few questions:

1)  What operating system are you using?
2)  Are these Windows Explorer windows or Internet Explorer windows or some other window?
2)  Can you expand on the "problems"?  What is actually happening?

Offline creativem2

• Prepper
    • The Movie Review Podcast
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
Ahhh linux.  I love it, Mint is pretty cool.  I run it as my main OS and setup a VM for Windows.  I have an old box with CentOS running LAMP that I use for dev.  Does that make me a nerd?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2011, 05:40:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys... downloading ubuntu now. (No real clear idea what to do with it once I get it, but maybe I can figure it out :) )

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2011, 12:21:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys... downloading ubuntu now. (No real clear idea what to do with it once I get it, but maybe I can figure it out :) )
Burn it to a disc and do a dual boot system. I had a minor hiccup when I did it, but it eventually got fixed. I would suggest that you have another 'puter with internet access while setting up and installing Ubuntu to access help if needed. That really saved my 6.

Offline Foxfire

• Prepper
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2011, 01:46:02 AM »
Foxfire,

Few questions:

1)  What operating system are you using?
2)  Are these Windows Explorer windows or Internet Explorer windows or some other window?
2)  Can you expand on the "problems"?  What is actually happening?

Hi MM!

I have Microsoft Windows and I'm using Internet Explorer.

The problem I'm having is this...if I'm reading the forum and a link is given to another article...if I click on that link I cannot get back to the forum by clicking the back button...I have to click out and go back in.  For some reason the second I click on the link the back button is rendered unless.  Does that make sense?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2011, 05:51:58 AM »
Burn it to a disc and do a dual boot system. I had a minor hiccup when I did it, but it eventually got fixed. I would suggest that you have another 'puter with internet access while setting up and installing Ubuntu to access help if needed. That really saved my 6.

Ok... I saved it to a flash drive instead of burning to a disc... I'm going to need to do it again. thanks, BD.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2011, 08:46:51 AM »
Ok... I saved it to a flash drive instead of burning to a disc... I'm going to need to do it again. thanks, BD.

Working from a flash drive is fine.

Offline creativem2

• Prepper
    • The Movie Review Podcast
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2011, 09:41:31 AM »
If you're going to put it on a flash drive I recommend using Unetbootin.  Just copying the iso to the flash drive will not work.  You'll also be able to test it out running it from the flash drive (it's slow) instead of installing the OS on your hard drive right away.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »
Ubuntu is ok, I believe there is a utility in it now for making a bootable USB stick (I haven't done an Ubuntu build in a while now though so I'm not sure).   I use Puppy linux as it has a simple utility for making a bootable USB stick.  (Just boot off a Puppy CD and run the wizard, presto).  It runs FAR faster off a stick than any other linux distro I've tried and it seems to have the widest range of compatibility with hardware when running off the stick.  The last version I had I tested on over 50 machines and it worked on all but 1, the new version 5.2 worked on that new one but i've only tested it on about 9 or 10 machine so far.

The quality of the USB flash drive and its read/write speeds will make the big difference in performance.  But puppy loads completely into memory if you have 512MB of RAM.  So its as fast as it can possible run once loaded.  (Boot time is far faster than Ubuntu or Debian also.

Hit me up if you need any help with it.  the puppy ISO is only 120 MB or so compared to the full CD/DVD downloads for other distros.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
Hi MM!

I have Microsoft Windows and I'm using Internet Explorer.

The problem I'm having is this...if I'm reading the forum and a link is given to another article...if I click on that link I cannot get back to the forum by clicking the back button...I have to click out and go back in.  For some reason the second I click on the link the back button is rendered unless.  Does that make sense?
You didn't say which Winows and IE, but in general:
  Most forums, including this one, open external links in a new window. Therefore you cannot go Back to the forum. You have to either close or minimize the article window, or look on the taskbar for the tab for the forum, and click on it. This will bring the forum to the front. This actually applies anytime you have two or more windows open.
I have seen some sites which have a trick (re-direct ? ) built in so that you cannot go Back unless you use the dropdown list of previous pages ( the little down arrow next to the Back button ) and skip back a couple of pages.

Hope this helps!

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »
firefox + tabs mix plus = new windows open in new tabs

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »
Yep, thats why I like Chrome best so far.  All new window links open in new tabs.  Plus I always right click and "Open in new tab" when I hit links so that I maintain my current windows.

Not being a Firefox user, I was curious if it allows you to save your "account" so that no matter what machine you log into, you have your favorites etc without installing any 3rd party software?  thats my favorite feature of Chrome.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2011, 03:43:38 PM »
there is a new firefox sync user but I use other plugins for a long time so i haven't tried it.

I have to use FF for work due to superior JS debugging... but i install chrome for all friends/family who give me computers that stop working due to IE usage

-Nick

Yep, thats why I like Chrome best so far.  All new window links open in new tabs.  Plus I always right click and "Open in new tab" when I hit links so that I maintain my current windows.

Not being a Firefox user, I was curious if it allows you to save your "account" so that no matter what machine you log into, you have your favorites etc without installing any 3rd party software?  thats my favorite feature of Chrome.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2011, 03:51:21 PM »
Figured this would be a good way to procrastinate on the task i should be doing... list of plugins i currently use for firefox

AffiliateFox - auto adds your affiliate ID to any amazon page
ColorZilla - ads a color picker to bottom bar. (useful for getting hex and rgb codes)
Delicious Bookmarks
facebookvideo - allows DL of facebook videos
firebug - the best JS /html tool
firefox sync - installed it but haven't used it
google bookmarks button reloaded - for my google bookmarks
google bookmarks for firefox - also for my gmarks
greasemonkey - does various things
html validator - a work tool
java console -
lastpass - to hold all of my less important logins (bank ones etc i enter each time)... it disabled insecure built in PW storage and replaces it with secure storage in the cloud. when you start the plugin you login with a master password to enable it...
measureit - allows you to take pixel measurements of any rectangle you draw on your screen
phpedit xdebug extension - work BS
pwgen - generates random passwords
reload plus - allows me to customize page reloads to be the way i want them (before a new FF version changed it)
shorten URL - a must have! click it an a bit.ly link of whatever page you are on is put in your clipboard... so easy!!
tab mix plus - another must have! tons of options regarding how events effect tabs
web developer toolbar - just that

retired:
zoho notebook... i now use evernote for web clipping... much better... this is a must have tool for any blogger doing research. Much more useful than bookmarking!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Thank you for that!!

I grabbed ColorZilla, shorten URL, and pwgen.  You just made my life a HECK OF A LOT easier, Nick.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
Any suggestions?

I just loaded Audacity software and am learning it.
I need to set up a pc with two mics so I can do interviews.
Some of my interviews will be two people sitting at my desk talking and some will be with me at my desk and the person I'm interviewing calling me on my home phone. I thought I could just use speaker phone and point it at a mic.
In a perfect world, I would like to record mobile with two mics but I haven't seen any portable MP3 devices with two mic plug ins.
Eventually these will be posted on my website. I have no idea how to do that yet, but I'll deal with that as I need to.

Quality is not a big concern. Money is limited.
 :)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2011, 05:36:47 PM »
Some of my interviews will be two people sitting at my desk talking and some will be with me at my desk and the person I'm interviewing calling me on my home phone. I thought I could just use speaker phone and point it at a mic.
In a perfect world, I would like to record mobile with two mics but I haven't seen any portable MP3 devices with two mic plug ins.
Eventually these will be posted on my website. I have no idea how to do that yet, but I'll deal with that as I need to.
Not sure if you can do 2 mic's w/o adding another soundcard. But I'm not 100% sure on this.
For phone interviews i think google voice can record calls.
or see if Skype can record calls placed using it. Or you might be able to record a skype call on your computer.

hmm. research time

Update: google voice can record incoming calls to your google voice #.
Skype requires a 3rd party app to record.

Offline Calista

• Prepper
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2011, 06:10:38 PM »
Non-Techie Alert...

I just upgraded my '97-vintage desktop ;D to this system before the special offer disappeared:

Dell Optiplex 380 Desktop Intel Dual-Core 3.2GHz (4GB/250GB/Win7 Pro) $304 Free Shipping

On the advice of a techie friend, the only upgrade I decided on was a video card from New Egg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121377

My questions are:

1. Will I need tools to open the case and insert the new card? (I've never done this sort of thing before.)
2. How do I get rid of the pre-installed bloatware?
3. How do I transfer all my files and bookmarks off the laptop I've been using, along with my Firefox add-ons?

Please type S-L-O-W-L-Y. I've read all the posts in this whole thread and stand in awe of you youngsters who have known all this stuff since kindergarten when I was still taking notes in stenography. :D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »
My questions are:
1. Will I need tools to open the case and insert the new card? (I've never done this sort of thing before.)
yes. usually not too tricky to do. but when you boot it you'll probably have to go into the bios settings to turn off the old video card so the new one is the default card.

Download and run: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
works good, allows you to see what is on your system and delete crap.

3. How do I transfer all my files and bookmarks off the laptop I've been using, along with my Firefox add-ons?
that is harder to do. Microsoft has some tools for xfering data.
For Firefox, you can export your bookmarks or use something like XMarks/SyncPlaces to store your firefox info on an external server. Check them out of the firefox add-ons page.
Anyone else have suggestions?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »

Probably just a Phillips head screwdriver.  You may have to stare at the back of the case a while before you see how things fit together.

Be sure you don't electrocute your computer and video card with static electricity.  Try to find somehwere to ground yourself before touching any of the electronics.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »
No need to disable the on-board video display.   Just plug the new card in and move your VGA/DVI cable to the new card.  Boot the computer up.  The system should display just fine on the new card (or at low resolution until the drivers are installed).  Then if you ever want to add a second monitor, just plug it into the old on-board card and presto, dual monitors.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2011, 12:46:14 AM »
I like X marks for browser transfer.

Probably just a Phillips head screwdriver.  You may have to stare at the back of the case a while before you see how things fit together.

Be sure you don't electrocute your computer and video card with static electricity.  Try to find somehwere to ground yourself before touching any of the electronics.

Make sure to touch the case first and this should mitigate most static issues.

The easiest is to reinstall the OS and drivers. Sure you can remove the programs, but that often only removes "most" of the program and can cause bugs you won't want to deal with on a new PC.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »
Hare,

darcy from stumblinghomestead.com uses one mic and just cranks his speakers up loud while using skype to record his calls... so that WILL work

My suggestion? ipadio.com

you call a phone then conference your guest on. I've demoed it and it works great!!

To download the MP3 just subscribe to your ipadio feed in itunes (advanced > subscribe to podcast > paste in your feed)  then after you record just update that feed and it will download the MP3... they don't offer a direct link to download from their website.

if you have a "smart phone" try the ipadio app on android or iphone

ipadio is FREE and unlimited record time on calls!! Also great to do jack spirko inspired "car casts"

check out nickladieu.com for my ipadio podcast

second option... use skype...

skype to skype is best for audio quality

you will need http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator whenever you record a guest to even out the levels after you record

in audacity noise removal is your #1 tool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlKX6p85R2M#

hit me up with any questions... also what is the link to your podcast?  #2 i know you are doing some backyard permaculture... any interst in being a guest on saveourskills.com?

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:19:57 PM by ladieu »

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2011, 09:48:05 AM »

Skype requires a 3rd party app to record.

you can record it free in audacity if your soundcard supports the stereo mix or "what you hear" channel

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2011, 10:01:08 AM »
for interviewing one person just get nice and close to each other. one mic will do you just fine!

No need to overthink it.

Also if you have a "smart" phone like an iphone or android recording from a voice memo app will give you superior quality i have found, and a benefit is you can record anywhere

-Nick

Any suggestions?

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2011, 11:10:49 AM »
Wow! Thanks ladieu!
I don't have anything recorded yet but as soon as my site is ready I'll be telling everyone.
As for interviewing me, I'm doing a bunch of stuff this spring so maybe after that.
Thanks again!

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »
My wife is trying to find someone to build a website for her small property management company.
She got one proposal for $2500.00. This person is using Wordpress as a basis. She is going to make
a new template.

Does this make sense?

Alternatives?

Website would be pretty basic. a few photos, but she wants to post management info/advice.
I suggested a blog, but she doesn't want that type of formate (not chronological)

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »
It is a fair price for the work first of all, but I'll give you some alternatives anyways

I have 2 suggestions for you

#1 you can pm sis wolf on the forums

#2 99designs.com

bonus:

#3  http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

My wife is trying to find someone to build a website for her small property management company.
She got one proposal for $2500.00. This person is using Wordpress as a basis. She is going to make
a new template.

Does this make sense?

Alternatives?

Website would be pretty basic. a few photos, but she wants to post management info/advice.
I suggested a blog, but she doesn't want that type of formate (not chronological)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »
a new template.

Does this make sense?

Alternatives?

WordPress makes all kinds of sense in this case.  It'll be a cleaner, more efficient way for her to post without having to dive into the HTML.  It WILL be a blog, but blogs don't necessarily have to be chronological, or allow comments, or any of that.

$2500 is a good price to make a totally new theme (there's a LOT of work that goes into a totally new theme, but I'd have to see this company's previous work to tell you if I thought their work was worth $2500 - a judgment you're able to make on your own, I think).

I charge quite a bit less than that (and have a discount for TSP or Hoodlum members, and offer a huge discount for former clients), but I do NOT make entirely new WP themes.  If I did, my price would be about the same as the company who quoted your wife.

If you wanted to shop around, I suggest exactly what Nick suggested:

It is a fair price for the work first of all, but I'll give you some alternatives anyways

I have 2 suggestions for you

#1 you can pm sis wolf on the forums

#2 99designs.com

bonus:

#3  http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

Alternatives are iffy.  A regular website would require that your wife knows HTML and can dive into it and make changes without breaking the site.  It's possible, but it would require more work on your wife's part than is necessary nowadays.

Have her ask that company for a WP leaning portfolio, so that she can take a look at what they've done in the very recent past.  Remember that all web developers improve dramatically on a very regular basis if they have any desire to "stay fresh", so look at their most recent stuff, rather than the work they did a year or more ago.