Author Topic: Adding addtional shelves for canned goods  (Read 750 times)

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Adding addtional shelves for canned goods
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
This last weekend the wife and I spent all day Sunday and then part of Monday evening building additional shelves onto our metal shelving from the local box stores.  Simple enough Idea I made face boards for the front and back with a half lap joint where it joined the cross boards.  I used 1x4s for the front and all others are 1x6s. There is a 2X2 screwed to the face boards on the 3 1x6s at the height of the 1x4. This gave me a lip around the 3 non access sides to make it harder to push off jars off accidently.  Since we do not live in a earthquake area that should be fine.  If you are in an area that is prone to earth quakes then you may want to bump up to a 1X8 or 1X 10 to give you more side protection.  This is all held to the key way cutouts in the shelves by 1/4 bolts threaded into Tee nuts.  Those make it strong without needing a wrench on the inside.

The photos at this link should give you a better idea of the design.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimisod/albums/72157674686096905

6 shelves should hold 72 pints each or about 50 Quarts, so that makes a dent in the pantry that is not yet put away. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Adding addtional shelves for canned goods
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »
Karma for a great post and well illustrated project . They should do a great jod for supply rotation.

Offline Redman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:50:58 PM »
Congratulations on the way you used "off the shelf" materials. Nice job.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 01:52:01 AM »
now that is a neat idea on shelving Dexion....I will keep the photos as i have some of this kind of shelving system!