Author Topic: domain name purchases  (Read 515 times)

Offline stash

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
domain name purchases
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:01:11 PM »
I would really appreciate your help out there. I just had two different ideas that are both permaculture based and I really want to buy two different domains as soon as possible. Can you explain all the ins and outs of how to shop for a domain name? sometimes I hear about people spending $8.00 mo and then I will hear about how people will spend 3k.....confused. I was reading some stuff about it, and one article said to go with shared web hosting, bluehost.net? Thanks for all your help!

LVWood

Re: domain name purchases
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
A domain name is just a name to drive traffic to your website.
GoDaddys sells .com domain names for a slow as $12 a year.

For a web site Wix.com has offerings for budget minded people.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Re: domain name purchases
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:19:13 PM »
[Moving this topic to the Do It Yourself board, for lack of a better location...]

Here's a broad overview of what you need:
  • A domain name
  • A service to host your website
  • The website itself

These are really three separate things, and you might obtain them from three (or more) separate sources.  Briefly:

• A domain name:
    This is just the name (example.com, example.biz, example.info, whatever).  If you want a name that nobody else already owns, it will be very cheap.  If you want a name that someone else has already registered, they will be trying to make a profit off their investment and it'll cost you a bundle.

What you are buying is the right to use the domain name for a fixed period of time (usually 1 year minimum, but you can often get a discount for paying for several years).  Brand-new (not currently owned) domain names are sold by a Domain Name Registrar, of which there are about a zillion.  I've only used a couple myself.  Pair Domains is competent and reliable, but not the cheapest.  Hosting Nation is very annoying to use.  I helped someone else who was using Name.com, and they give a fairly good impression.

You can buy a domain name before you've arranged for a hosting service.  It'll just redirect to a placeholder saying "this domain is parked" or something similar.

Don't get a .top domain.  These are very very cheap, which means they're the favorite of spammers and other Internet scum.

• A service to host your website:
    There are lots of options here.  Traditionally, you'd start with shared web hosting, because it's cheap, and then if your site is hugely successful you'd upgrade to a hosting plan with higher bandwidth/storage limits, or eventually lease an entire server for yourself.  Nowadays there are various "cloud" options too (which I can't advise you about, since I've never used them).

At the low end, if you only need a very simple website, your Domain Name Registrar may even provide simple site-building and site-hosting services along with your domain name purchase.

• The website itself:
    This is where the greatest fraction of your effort will go (if you're building and maintaining the website yourself), or the greatest fraction of your expense (if you're paying someone else to do it).  Give this a bunch of thought before you select a web hosting service.

Do you want something resembling a blog?  The most popular software choice is WordPress.  Even if you're envisioning something non-blog-like, it's worth considering WordPress because of its versatility and the number of features you can add to it.  For DIY website-builders who only want a simple website, the learning curve is gentle.

But there are lots of other options depending on what you want your website to do.  Maybe you want a wiki, or a forum, or something unique and complex, or just a simple handful of web pages.  Think this through, and decide whether you're going to learn the necessary skills yourself or hire somebody to help.