Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Medical Needs and First Aid / Re: 23 and me... as a survival tool?
« Last post by Alan Georges on Today at 05:36:49 PM »
I am concerned about what the laboratory does with your DNA information.
I am not particularly concerned about this at the moment, but who knows what the future will bring?  At the very mildest, perhaps hyper-targeted advertising.  At the worst?  "We see that you are a member of this now unpopular ethnic group."

Once that data leaves my hands, its future use is forever at the whim of whoever can buy or steal the testing company's database.
At this price and with a decent amount of wire for dipoles, it could make a practical leave-it-at-the-BOL radio.
Emergency Preparations / Re: maybe there's some to OP-SEC?
« Last post by Alan Georges on Today at 05:22:06 PM »
This makes sense.  The usual standard is "cleared to know" AND "need to know."  Sounds like the gent in question routinely neglected the second part.

This is even more important when using a radio to not give such details.
True.  You never know who's listening.  Nothing wrong about saying "let's take this over to a phone conversation."  I've had and heard this happen many times.  Usually it was more about medical or personal conditions, but there are a lot of other things not fit for the airwaves.  "Hey, I'm going out of town for a week, can you watch my place?" for example.
Emergency Preparations / Re: maybe there's some to OP-SEC?
« Last post by Carl on Today at 05:06:34 PM »
This is even more important when using a radio to not give such details.
Emergency Preparations / maybe there's some to OP-SEC?
« Last post by Smurf Hunter on Today at 03:29:18 PM »
To protect the privacy of others, I'll omit some details.

A local person who's professionally involved in state, local and federal emergency management just sent this post to a neighborhood watch forum.
Again, this person held management roles at agencies you've all heard of, so not just "some dude".

Someone burglarized our utility shed last night and stole our Honda EU 3000 generator. It had a wheel kit as well. If anyone noticed somebody pushing a generator down the street last night, please let me know. We're keeping our eye on pawn shops, Craigslist, and other places people like to sell stolen property. It was also reported to police. I have reported this information to the police.

I have met this person a few times and had some casual conversations about emergency preparations.  While I'd never visited the property, I had heard about the "prep shed" and details of some of the goodies within. At the time this was shared, I was known as a vetted city volunteer (background check, etc.) so I was not a completely random person - however I am willing to bet loose lips were involved here.  Maybe a relative of a "trusted" volunteer overheard something. Many of us have some friends or family struggling with substance abuse and other problems. If desperation grew enough, it's hard to know what's possible.

Anyhow, while I'm not the paranoid type, not everyone you meet needs to know what gear you own, where you store it or how prepared you are for that big earthquake some day.

The HAM Radio Board / Re: CW: the whole thing
« Last post by Smurf Hunter on Today at 03:09:22 PM »
Yeah, it remains to be seen how this works in practice.  It was just a clever organization of things.
Emergency Preparations / Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Last post by Carl on Today at 12:55:39 PM »
I'd like to see that some time...  ;)

It is in my Ham shack,stop by and look at it all you want.
The HAM Radio Board / Re: CW: the whole thing
« Last post by armymars on Today at 12:53:51 PM »
 I remember using the tree from ARRL code practice records that my friend loan me. It slowed me down because first I'd copy in my head a "T" then  "M" then a "O" and so on. It's best to lean the sound like a new word. You can teach me a new word or maybe a letter in a foreign language.
Emergency Preparations / Re: My wifes' view on prepping!
« Last post by mountainmoma on Today at 11:51:38 AM »
Our wood boiler provides us with heat and domestic hot water. It has a 1100 gallon water jacket that is heated when we run the boiler. Usually only twice a week. Then the heat is pulled from that water for DHW and radiant heat. We need electricity to run the circulator pumps. But we have a wood stove to keep us warm when the electricity goes out. With a gravity fed water system from a 1200 gallon tank, we have tap water and hot water for a week without electricity. If we need to go longer than that, we can run the generator for 3-4 hours, pump the tank back full again, burn the wood boiler, and we are back in business for another week. If we are careful with how much we use, we can push it to two weeks.

That sounds like a good system. You could easily stretch that water out if you realy needed to, I bet a month, unless you have alot of stock to water, if you needed to. But nice you can have business as usual for a week !

I also have a 1200 gallon, gravity fed, water tank. I usually boost the pressure so we can take showers upstairs, but if I think we are going to have an extended outage, I can flip the breaker off to conserve battery power for other uses.

Default for power off, what the battery power goes to is: well pump, stove and HW no power;  pressure pump, house lights,  most outlets powered. Due to the way the house was already wired before I put in the solar/battery back up means that we have lights everywhere except the downstairs bathroom (which has no window either ! ) and utility room, and most outlets means all outlets except none in the kitchen, downstairs bath, and hallway with the answering machine. So, modem/wifi stays powered, and if the power is off for more than 24 hours, I run an extension cord to the refrigerator. One day I will have that changed, as I have an extra breaker in the backup panel. The well pump can be switched over to battery back up by hand by undoing wire nuts in a box in the well house and connecting it to back up electric. Both water pumps are sized to run off the inverter.
Emergency Preparations / Re: My wifes' view on prepping!
« Last post by Zef_66 on Today at 10:25:40 AM »
Same for me LvsChant, hot water is what we are short of in a power outage, but we do fine without, heat some for dishes on the woodstove, and for cleaning us too.

Our wood boiler provides us with heat and domestic hot water. It has a 1100 gallon water jacket that is heated when we run the boiler. Usually only twice a week. Then the heat is pulled from that water for DHW and radiant heat. We need electricity to run the circulator pumps. But we have a wood stove to keep us warm when the electricity goes out. With a gravity fed water system from a 1200 gallon tank, we have tap water and hot water for a week without electricity. If we need to go longer than that, we can run the generator for 3-4 hours, pump the tank back full again, burn the wood boiler, and we are back in business for another week. If we are careful with how much we use, we can push it to two weeks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10