Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Medical Needs and First Aid / Re: california Hep A outbreak
« Last post by LvsChant on Today at 11:43:52 AM »
When my boys were babies, we were informed by our pediatrician that NM was a high-risk state for Hep A. So... we got the boys vaccinated on the schedule recommended. Didn't really consider it for myself, but perhaps I should.

We did get our oldest son vaccinated for Hep C before going off to college also. We never had any problems or side effects for our boys beyond the normal soreness and feel it is a wonderful thing to be able to prevent these illnesses. For example... when is the last time you heard of anyone you knew dying from tetanus? We are indeed very spoiled to get to make those choices now.

And... for the anti-vaccine folks, you are being protected to some degree by the rest of us who do vaccinate... so please no criticism of those of us who do vaccinate our children :) (And I won't criticize you for choosing otherwise for whatever reason).
Emergency Preparations / Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Last post by LvsChant on Today at 11:29:46 AM »
I'm back in gardening... the garlic is up and about 6 inches high... I planted turnips and rutabagas and the sprouts are beginning to come up. We have a fairly mild winter here, so should be able to get greens for salads for quite awhile, as well as the veges in the last part of the year... Don't really like cooked turnips and rutabagas that much, but they grow really well here and are good eaten raw.

Since it is too late for a full-on garden, I am busy composting and readying the beds for spring planting.

Gathered pecans from our trees... they are just starting to fall. They really don't do much until after the first hard freeze, but I am gathering what is coming down now, little by little. It should be a good year.
Great news! I hope it works out, Victoria.
Medical Needs and First Aid / Re: Hepatitis A outbreak
« Last post by Smurf Hunter on Today at 10:57:40 AM »
Even if you question the safety of the vaccine schedule (and I do) getting one specific vaccine for a local problem is far off from the schedule given to kids under 2. Even if vaccines cause autism (I doubt this) you're past the risk point.

I'd do it. You're mitigating an appreciable risk with a very low risk procedure.

FWIW I actually have been more active keeping up my vaccines. We have outbreak problems in the Somali community and I have some exposure through friends. I do think the schedule for kids is a little aggressive and I don't like the methodology of the data (comparing to previous schedule rather than a true control) but most of my beef comes from my data analysis background. There's no hard evidence, just poor science. Adult vaccines carry almost no risk.

I do avoid the flu vaccine. It's not mathematically effective based on my number crunching. My wife gets it and I don't try to stop her. Not being effective doesn't prove that it is harmful. One could argue it's valid if only as a placebo.

I'm sure I pissed off both sides.

I have two close friends with autistic children.  Both firmly stated they'd rather their child live with autism than die or be crippled by polio.

Also, on a personal note as my son has a severely compromised immune system, he has had nearly every vaccine available in the last 18 months.  He's 13 now.
This has really changed my perspective.  Not that I'm pro or anti, but rather "how nice you have the luxury of a debate".

@LvsChant
ALL

I have sent out 20 queries to New York City book agents as of last week.  Yesterday, Monday, I got an email from one of those agents who is interested in taking my book!  I have to put together a proposal and am working on that now.

I didn't expect an interested agent so soon.  This agent only accepts nonfiction and that is why I chose her to send a query.  There are a few agents like her - only taking nonfiction.

The proposal is long to put together - I should have it off to her by tomorrow.  Then, I wait to see if she actually accepts the book.
Medical Needs and First Aid / Re: california Hep A outbreak
« Last post by surfivor on Today at 09:40:44 AM »
 I would try to find out more about it but I have heard little or nothing about hep A and would not become panicked.

The current outbreak has reportedly killed 17 people and effected others. I don't trust health officials to report things accurately anyway. There's probably a very good chance that since CA is pushing mandatory vaccines they need to come up with or focus on some outbreaks to scare the population

Previously the worst outbreak killed 4 people and was caused by food contamination

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_United_States_hepatitis_A_outbreak

The 2003 United States hepatitis A outbreak was the most widespread hepatitis A outbreak in the United States. It afflicted at least 640 people, killing 4, in north-eastern Ohio and south-western Pennsylvania in late 2003. The outbreak was blamed on tainted green onions at a Chi-Chi's restaurant in Monaca, Pennsylvania.
Food Storage / Re: Long Shelf Life Foods?
« Last post by surfivor on Today at 08:57:31 AM »
ground nuts are easy to grow anywhere except in deserts or very dry conditions, the tubers are easy to keep viable in some moist dirt and can be either eaten or replanted in the spring if stored that way in the winter.

Ground nuts have a good amount of protein and carbs and are considered the most nutritious wild food in north america. They where eaten by the native americans
Emergency Preparations / Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Last post by Stwood on Today at 08:50:52 AM »
 8) 8)

« Last post by Cedar on Today at 07:29:26 AM »
Not to be a jerk, but a can opener and a cheap camp stove give you vastly more options.

Alot more. And I'd consider learning how to use a 'haybox'. I tried it a few years ago when I did my British WW2 rations challenge. They did it as a way to conserve fuel...it s basically like a slow cooker. I used a plastic food cooler with a Crock-Pot or dutch oven inside, with a bunch of towels and blankets under, around it and o er the top before the lid was shut. I use this alot for making yogurt too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haybox
http://thermalcooker.wordpress.com/category/thermal-cookers/haybox/

Cedar
« Last post by Carl on Today at 07:22:54 AM »
  Many sausage type meats come in airtight seals and are good for a couple of years and don't forget ,the gift you keep on giving,....FRUITCAKE is high calorie and lasts forever. I also suggest grits,yakisoba,and many other dry ,noodle type meals as low cost and they fill you up meals.

I also make pancakes or breakfast cakes with the packaged angle food cake mix (the one that has egg in the mix) and all you need is water and a hot pan...and your imagination to make some good ,sweet pancakes and other breakfast cakes and sweet treats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10