Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Thanks MS.  I'm totally going to try this.   :)  The library geek in me should have known about this long ago.

Look on the back of the title page for the ISBN number - a 10 digit number (newer books have a 13 digit number but they probably have the scannable barcode/UPC number on the cover.)  Unless the book is really old or it is a Scholastic paperback book, it should have an ISBN number on the back of the title page.  Use this number if your scan doesn't bring up the correct product information.

you are right, we did use this when we had one.  but I like old books.  I like the way they smell.  I like the way my sewn books from 1890s are in better condition then the books bought last year.  Sure, the covers might be in pieces, but it is still readable.  the new books that are glued are missing whole chunks of pages.  And old books assume that you have an education and the vocabulary, prose and syntax is more pleasant.  Anyway, we have a lot of books without barcodes.  lol
This is awesome.  My wife and I have faaar to many books (last time we moved it was 35 boxes of books...), this is a pretty cool way to keep track of everything and/or figure out if we still have a copy of XYZ
One of the lowest cost per gram of protein that I’ve found for storage foods is split peas.

Re amounts of protein to store.

If I’m getting this, for now while I’m relatively sedentary, I should be aiming to not exceed 2,000 calories per day, to be distributed as:

60g protein (240 calories)
 56 to 78g fat (504 to 702 calories)
 264 to 314g carbs (1,058 to 1,256 calories). 

When “SHTF” I may need up to 2,800 calories per day to be distributed as:

135g protein (540 calories)
109g fat (981)
319g carbs (1279 calories)
Homesteading and Self Reliant Living / Re: Survivor Library
« Last post by totalredundancy on Today at 05:04:19 PM »
This is pretty cool.  I haven't done more than skim some of the books at this point, but it'd be interesting to see what nuggets are in there that we could apply to modern homesteading
Modern Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines / Re: AR15 build for lefties
« Last post by TNVolunteer on Today at 02:13:49 PM »
I am like Sequanti, lefty through and through.  I also own and regularly shoot ARs.  The only thing for me that is an absolute must is an ambi fire selector.  The rest is nice to have.  An ambi mag release is nice and all my rifles are so equipped but I've trained myself out of using them. I used Norgon releases.  They are small and unobtrusive and easy to use. While not necessary, I do like ambi charging handles.  Make the rifle a tad easier to run.   I've never seen the need for a left eject rifle as the built in brass deflectors work just fine.

TNV

Modern Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines / Re: LaRue's New "MBT"
« Last post by TNVolunteer on Today at 02:07:23 PM »
I've don't have one of their triggers so cannot comment on it directly but will vouch for the quality of all the other products I've purchased from them.  Have one of their uppers that I bought years ago and it is an absolute tack driver.  Own several of their mount as well.  High quality kit all around and good customer service.

TNV
Food Preps / Re: What are the cheapest long term fats that I should store?
« Last post by Carl on Today at 01:49:49 PM »
  Coconut oil,impeller expressed is my choice ,is a solid till above 75 degrees and has many health benefits along with 18 months to 2 year shelf life.
You can use it for cooking or add it to foods as you would margarine or butter , I make pancakes from angel food cake mix (the one with egg whites in the dry mix) and all you need is water and coconut oil (and a little honey ) for a fast tasty breakfast.
Homesteading and Self Reliant Living / Re: Cleaning out roundup barrels
« Last post by Mr. Bill on Today at 12:58:33 PM »
This is just my intuition, based on biochemistry education from a really long time ago:

If the barrels are metal, you might be able to clean them with a lot of work.

If they're plastic, maybe not.  The glyphosate itself is pretty water-soluble, so it ought to wash out... probably.  But Roundup also contains a bunch of other stuff, and I don't know what all of it is.  If the plastic has absorbed anything, it'll slowly leach back out.

I'm not Roundup-phobic (gotta use the stuff around here to hold down the weeds and prevent a fire hazard), and I don't believe that a tiny trace leaching out of the barrel will be enough to make your veggies toxic.  But it might be enough to interfere with their growth, and who needs that?
The vast majority of fats don't store well long term, especially nuts.  They go rancid, smell awful, taste bad, and can actually make you sick.

As far as protein, then yes, beans are great.  Quinoa is also awesome, but make sure you've tried cooking it a time or two before relying on it for survival.  It's not quite as simple as some other grains.
Food Storage / Re: Vacuum sealing for beginners
« Last post by albaprep on Today at 12:49:19 PM »
Yep  Amazon is where we get ours too. We quite like the 'Andrew James' vacuum dealer in Amazon. Very good value for the money - it has lasted us for ages sealing lamb , jerky etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10