Author Topic: Best camping invention - Pie Irons!  (Read 24108 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Best camping invention - Pie Irons!
« on: April 16, 2010, 04:07:10 PM »
Who uses pie irons? Post your best stories and recipes!

I'll start:
I was taking the family camping and we stopped at the local camping/surplus store to pick up a few things. My wife was inside and I was out with the car/kids. She came running out of the store holding these metal thingies that looked like large, metal flyswatters and started to rant about needing to go to the store and get white bread and cherry pie filling. I thought she had lost it (by sniffing the insides of the surplus boots) and asked in a neutral, calming voice 'Why?'.
She then started to tell me about cooking with pie irons as a kid and how her family would use them for nearly everything. After that trip I was convinced they are great things to have when camping or running from zombies. But I still think she was sniffing the boots...

We like grilled cheese sandwiches. Take some bread, cut off the crusts, butter one side, put the bread butter side out in the iron halves, put sliced cheese in between and close the pie iron. Now let it slowly toast/melt over a nice fire and Voila! Excellent Grilled Cheese sandwiches! I like to add slices of various meats to mine.

A site about pie irons:
http://www.pieiron.com/

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline outdoorlady79

• Survivor
Re: Best camping invention - Pie Irons!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:54:47 PM »
+1 can't wait to see what others add.  I just got mine in the fall after camping season, can't wait to try them out.

Offline Lunk

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »
Aw, I need to go over to my folks and steal theirs now. I think I was the only person in the house who used it growing up.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 01:20:24 AM »
I must advise against using one of these AFTER a wee bit excessive consumption of the adult beverage of choice.

If left in the fire too long, they will melt. Details area bit fuzzy, but I do remember pulling the handles out of the fire. ::)
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:33:50 AM »
I must advise against using one of these AFTER a wee bit excessive consumption of the adult beverage of choice.

If left in the fire too long, they will melt. Details area bit fuzzy, but I do remember pulling the handles out of the fire. ::)

This is why you should buy the cast iron ones instead of the aluminum ones.  If you melt a cast iron pie iron in a campfire after an over indulgence of tasty adult beverages, not only do I want to go drinking with you, but I really want to learn how you make your fire and what you're burning.
It's ham radio, or better yet, amateur radio, not HAM...it isn't an acronym.

"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 12:19:08 PM »
This is why you should buy the cast iron ones instead of the aluminum ones.  If you melt a cast iron pie iron in a campfire after an over indulgence of tasty adult beverages, not only do I want to go drinking with you, but I really want to learn how you make your fire and what you're burning.

Lotta hydrocarbons, a big air compressor,  and a corn crib/ pig feeder thingie and needless to say a lot of smart juice. :beer: :beer:

Offline Sequanti

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:48:49 PM »
Just took the family camping last week. We got the double pie iron, thinking it would be more efficient. The double was about $5 more than the single, and therefore much cheaper than two singles. My wife suggested these things. Somehow I missed the pie iron experience when I had gone camping as a kid.

We weren't too creative—we simply made "pies" in them. Same procedures as the grilled cheese, but with cherry and apple pie filling. It worked great. They turned out quite tasty.

The double might be a little heavy for young children to manage in the fire.

Next time, I think I try a Cuban sandwich or a calzone. I expect either would work well in it.

Offline conservative01

• Survivor
  • Remember, you create your own anxiety.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 09:34:12 PM »
Taking the kids camping next weekend may have to get one and try it. I have one kid that would live off grilled cheese sandwiches if I let him.
At the top Of every EDC list
1. Situational Awareness
2. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 10:24:58 PM »
We used to call them mountain pies and I still have the 3 irons my parents bought 35 years ago.  We would make just about anything you could fit on the bread...just remember that you aren't really cooking stuff as much as heating up stuff except for things that cook real fast.  We would spend friday morning prepping mountain pie supplies so when dad got home early from work we could leave for camp right away. I would also point out that you get better results from putting them in a nice bed of coals rather than holding in the fire.

The easy stuff is a can of your favorite pie filling.  Put a few tablespoons in the middle and heat in the coals.

Hershey bar and marshmallows.

Pizza sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni.

Left over steak chunks from last nights dinner and a whipped egg.  (Steak and egg samich)

Corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese with some thousand island dressing to dip it in.   OMG this is so good I may build a fire in the yard and have at it.

Thin sliced italian roast beef with previosly sauteed onions and peppers and provolone cheese.

Sweet lebanon bologna, tomato and swiss cheese.

Umm I have to go now... :P

"Build a politician a fire and keep him warm for a day.
Set a politician on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.  Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote."

Collector of rare and antique inflatable goats.

Offline Lunk

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 11:14:02 PM »

Corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese with some thousand island dressing to dip it in.   OMG this is so good I may build a fire in the yard and have at it.

You can use the stove. That was how I did it most days when I was a kid.

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »
Who me beat me to the punch, these things can cook anything you want get creative ;D

Offline mbarnatl

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »
I remember growing up and going camping... I used to get out ours and make some jelly pies for a late night snack. LOL

Here is a couple of reciepe sites for Pie Iron cooking:

http://www.bestcamprecipes.com/pie-irons/
http://www.pieiron.com/recipes.htm
http://recipesource.tripod.com/rvrecipes/id10.html
http://www.pieironusa.com/recipes.html
http://www.boondockers-used-sports.com/pie-iron-cooking.html
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

Offline chrisdm8

• Senior Survivalist
    • GizmoDirt - Foodstand
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »
Man, I saw these things in the stores all the time and never gave it much thought. I might just have to go out an get some before this summer's camping trip.

On a side note, I followed one of the links and the irony had me rolling in laughter. Where else can you find a recipe for Mountian Pie Burrito with an for weight lose secrets.

Change the food supply chain with this mobile app that connects local growers and consumers efficiently and sustainably.

http://foodstand.gizmodirt.com

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:05:13 AM »
My wife used to use them over a gas stove when she was a kid... I can see some taste test in my future next time we go camping.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 06:33:32 AM »
I am adding this to my list of must have items...
I tell ye true, liberty is the best of all things; never live beneath the noose of a servile halter.²
    - William Wallace, Address to the Scots, circa 1300

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 02:21:50 PM »
This thread rocks!  I am so glad I mentioned pie irons in the hot pocket thread and gave Archer the inspiration to start this thread.  +1 more for Archer.

"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 02:33:58 PM »
I have two large (14 x 14 inch or so) grated thingies (Don't know the name of them).  I use them primarily for grilling fish or other "Soft" items so they don't get tore up when I have to flip them.

Mine doesn't have the round hamburger things in it but its a lifesaver on the grill or over an open fire.

Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com Just an average guy, reviewing gear for the average guy (or gal).
http://www.zombieasc.com  We teach survival skills and we come to you!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 02:31:41 PM »
I have two large (14 x 14 inch or so) grated thingies (Don't know the name of them).  I use them primarily for grilling fish or other "Soft" items so they don't get tore up when I have to flip them.

Mine doesn't have the round hamburger things in it but its a lifesaver on the grill or over an open fire.

I have one of those for grilling veggies. Works quite well.

Thanks kc9eci!

Offline Donnie

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 08:08:47 AM »
Slice potatoes and onion very thin. Salt, pepper and a little olive oil.  Very good. Scheel's sells a cookbook just for pie irons    73 Donnie

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »
This weekend I tried two slices of bread with a filling of sliced up hotdogs and chilidog sauce.  Yummy!  Also has some leftover meat from some gyros so did that with some cheese and chopped onion.  Again, need I say it?  Yummy!

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »
, I need to pick up another set of these.  Very useful and versatile.  Used them like mini Dutch ovens.  One of my favorites was a quick peach cobbler (more like peach cake).

Tale a single serving snack cup of peaches and sprinkle bannock and sugar (bisquick or cake mix).  Place in coals for about 10 minutes and bam.  Everybody has there own little cobbler (cake)

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein

“I know you don’t see a ball. Trust me, God has placed a ball right here. You just can’t see it because you faith is not deep enough yet”

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 01:52:49 AM »
chilidog sauce. 

Chilidog sauce?

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 06:05:02 AM »
I believe thats canned chili.  I love the beanless canned chili for my regular chili dogs too.  LOL
Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com Just an average guy, reviewing gear for the average guy (or gal).
http://www.zombieasc.com  We teach survival skills and we come to you!

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »
We used those when I was a kid all the time.  I need to get myself some.

For dessert, get some raisin bread and add canned pie filling in the middle.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »
My daughter used one at a friend's camp out and insisted that we get one.  I did but haven't used it yet.  I will this summer though.

She said that bread, peanut butter, and jelly was delightful. 

I'm thinking about some Pillsbury biscuits with some meat in there.

Guess we have all summer to experiment.  I'll have to post any good recipes on this thread.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 08:48:16 PM »
Chilidog sauce?
In WV, this would indicate a thin beef chili - for hotdogs - but typically just referred to as sauce.

The key for WV style is to add a fair amount of water when cooking the hamburger and use a potato masher to get the meat really fine in texture. Then add tomato paste, pepper flakes, etc to finish the sauce.

In my area, the big leaders are T&L Hotdogs, Ritzy Lunch and the Custard Stand. Those really in the know, head to Fairmont for Yan's Hot Dogs. (Bit of advice, he is kinda like the soup nazi - do not ask for ketchup on your dog!)

www.ritzylunchwv.com

Offline pappabear

• Survivor
  • "Si vis pacem, para bellum"
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »
I have seen these for years, but never even thought of this kind of stuff...on the list of have to have's...LOL

by the by...anyone ever had BISCUITS ON A STICK???  (i know off topic, but the stories of camping as a kid made me reminisce)

pappa bear

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 06:54:11 PM »
I have seen these for years, but never even thought of this kind of stuff...on the list of have to have's...LOL

by the by...anyone ever had BISCUITS ON A STICK???  (i know off topic, but the stories of camping as a kid made me reminisce)

pappa bear

Bannock on a stick from this weekend. Same thing really

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein

“I know you don’t see a ball. Trust me, God has placed a ball right here. You just can’t see it because you faith is not deep enough yet”

Offline pappabear

• Survivor
  • "Si vis pacem, para bellum"
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 06:58:50 PM »
RIGHT ON DOC...

do y'all roll it in sugar and cinnamon???

Pappa Bear