Author Topic: Hiking Backpack  (Read 8843 times)

Offline mobowhunter

• Prepper
Hiking Backpack
« on: May 31, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »
I have a Boy Scout Troop going to the Grand Canyon  next summer. I am looking for a large good quality pack since we will be taking 5 to 15 mile hikes once a month until we get there.
Semper Fi
Keep your arrows flying straight.

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
Re: Hiking Backpack
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
I would suggest 4,00 cubic inch pack, your preference on internal or external frame. Go to your local suppliers and try on several to find the right fit.

Thing to remeber going down is the easy part you still have to come back up :D

Ranger Dave

Offline mobowhunter

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:37:51 PM »
I prefer an internal pack. I would like to use it as my get home bag as well.
Semper Fi
Keep your arrows flying straight.

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 08:42:30 PM »
Personal preference is an internal frame Kelty. My last trip to Philmont I used a Kelty Red Cloud 5500 c.u. inch, it was a little too big kept getting overloaded 60lbs. My current pack is a Kelty Big Bear 5,000 c.u. inch(in avatar). I find it is just about perfect for me, if there is such a thing.

Ranger Dave

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »
Regardless of the pack you buy, I suggest you find a retailer that will let you load it up with the estimated weight you'll be packing and walk around the store a little.  Frames range in size between brands and models, you want to be sure the one you like fits your individual torso properly and allows the transfer of weight comfortably.

Offline TwoXForr

• Prepper
    • Stories from the Mind* and Keyboard of A.A. Forringer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 12:21:28 PM »
REI stores do just that load up the pack with the approximate weight you will be carrying and then fit the pack to you. 

If heat is a factor (like at the Grand Canyon) you want to look for air flow, in the past External Packs have been better at this but Internal packs have been getting better and better at this. 

I suggest getting The Complete Walker (probably have an edition at your local libray) and do your own research. 

And use the pack a great deal beforehand, you will work out the kinks and get your packing down to a science. 
Writer, LEO

Offline Fyrsprite

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 07:51:59 PM »
It's a bit small to carry too much, but I'm nuts for my camelbak pack.  I freeze the water bladder overnight and it keeps my back nice and cool throughout the day along with giving me all the nice cold water I could care to drink.  It's been to several of the big national parks out west here with me, Glacier among them quite a few times.  Great day pack.

Offline TwoXForr

• Prepper
    • Stories from the Mind* and Keyboard of A.A. Forringer
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »
A lot of the recent models are compatiable with drinking systems, but I myself am hesistant to put a bladder or water in my pack with my food and sleeping bag. 

When hiking with kids I tend to shy away from bladder drinking systems, it is very hard to determine if they are drinking enough water, as opposed to nalgene water bottles when it is obvious how much the have drunk if the water bottle is filled at the begining of the day. 
Writer, LEO

Offline Maus

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:38:30 AM »
I second or third the idea of loading it up to the weight you'll be carrying.  My son went to Philmont with a Kelty Coyte 80l pack.  It fits good at a packing weight of 25-35 pounds.  When he was carrying extra food and water to our dry camps and was pushing 40-45 pounds, the waist belt didn't hold on his hips properly and he ended up with a good deal of back pain.

He ended up padding his hips with his fleece which gave him the support he needed on the trail.  But getting a proper fitting pack for that weight would have been a much better choice.

For water he used a platypus 2l bladder and 2 1l nalgenes.  the Nalgenes were easier to use our filter to fill and sterilize the water in than the bladder.  He ended up filling his bladder from the Nalgene.  The bladders allow you to drink on the trail without stopping to pull a bottle, but the kids have to be disciplined enough to drink.  If there is a question on the kid drinking enough on the trail you'll want to address that long before the trip.

One kid got a wet pack from the bladder but it wasn't because of a puncture.  They forgot to plug the hose in fully.

Enjoy the Grand Canyon.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:35:36 AM »
After 4 years in the infantry, lots of backcountry hunting trips, and almost 8 years as a scout leader, I prefer an external frame pack, due to the previously mentioned reason of airflow, and because on many packs, the pack can be removed from the frame, and the frame used as a pack board.

The other feature I like and would look for is straps (which seems to be the norm now) that let you cinch down the load so it don't shift. I would rather carry 50lbs properly loaded and secure, than 40lbs that keeps shifting as I walk, which is still preferable to 30lbs in an old Alice pack.

Getting one that fits properly is the single most important thing.

Offline Mo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 05:14:30 PM »
I've owned quite a passel of packs.  My wife says I'm worse than she is with shoes and purses...  :o  A few years back I scored a Kelty Redwing and became a full on fan-boy of Kelty packs. 

The Kelty Redwing is 50 liters which with my warm weather gear I can use it for day hikes on up to 3 days without skimping much on food or gear.  For Trips of 2 or more nights I really like my Kelty Coyote, it is about 5,000 cubic inches and unless you have a giant sleeping bag and tent you can load it up with enough gear and food to be on the trail unsupported for at least five days. 

The Kelty Redwing is comfortable to me up to ~40 pounds.  The Kelty Coyote has been comfortable for five hours + with 50-60 pounds of gear.  It will probably do more but I've not had the need to test it beyond that, even with long sections of dry trail between water sources. 

Another thing I like about the Kelty packs is the easy access to gear.  The new Redwings are a hybrid panel top-loading design that is easy to access gear without having to pull every item out of the pack.  The Coyote has center panel access which is also very easy to access gear without unpacking everything. 

I find them very comfortable even after having them on for most of the day.  Adjustable, multiple sizes available and affordable.  The durability has been excellent and the color options Dark Forest and Caper (kind of a Coyote brown) blend nicely with my AO.

I like them well enough to have purchased a Redwing for everyone in my household, a total of five packs.  They get regular use, mine is used at least four times a month and this year I'm averaging 7 days / month getting my pack out on the trails.  My Kelty packs are near the top of my most used gear.

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »
First off just wanted to say I have to affiliation to REI.

Go to REI and get their membership. $25 I think. You can try on packs and they will even weight them down for you. Also that have a 1 year return policy for members. Find a pack that you like and try it out, if you don't like it bring it back.

As for brands they all are a little different one that fits me might not fit you.

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 01:58:29 PM »
“There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion.”
? Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 02:37:16 PM »
The over one shoulder "Hello Kitty" messenger bag works for me.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 02:37:27 PM »
First off just wanted to say I have to affiliation to REI.

Go to REI and get their membership. $25 I think. You can try on packs and they will even weight them down for you. Also that have a 1 year return policy for members. Find a pack that you like and try it out, if you don't like it bring it back.

As for brands they all are a little different one that fits me might not fit you.

I *don't* have an affiliation with REI, but I was thinking the same thing.  I got a deal on my membership for $20, and that (I believe) is for life, not an annual fee.

It also gets you hefty discounts on classes, and they seem to have some pretty good ones.

endurance

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 03:58:13 PM »
FYI, post is a year old and OP hasn't logged into the forum since August 2014.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »

Are you (gasp) saying that (sniffle) he LEFT US (sob)?

I'll be fine.

No, really.  I will.

Just pass the ice cream.

(sniff)

nelson96

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 05:01:26 PM »

But we're not done giving advice.  We are all so good at that.  ;D

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 06:02:42 PM »
But we're not done giving advice.  We are all so good at that.  ;D

Here, let me tell you the best way to do that...

nelson96

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 06:23:30 PM »

IMO, you should do it differently, but YMMV.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 06:33:10 PM »

You have to suggest it to him like it's his idea Rita....

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 06:37:09 PM »
You have to suggest it to him like it's his idea Rita....

Oh, I forgot.

"Hey, remember that one time when you did it the other way?  You were so manly looking then.  I was really impressed."

Is that better?

nelson96

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 06:43:16 PM »

Oh, I forgot.

"Hey, remember that one time when you did it the other way?  You were so manly looking then.  I was really impressed."

Is that better?

What if Mo is a girl?  Or were you speaking to me?  In that case, I only do it one way, the right way.  ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »
I tried it the other way once,saw it on a youtube video...they must have edited out the bad part though.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 06:54:58 PM »
Happy Memorial Day ...you guys (and gals) are a humorous bunch.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
What if Mo is a girl?  Or were you speaking to me?  In that case, I only do it one way, the right way.  ;)

You mean your wife's way?  :P

nelson96

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »

+1 .....  If I deny that I will lose all credibility and I only had an ounce to start with.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 07:52:05 PM »

I never act without orders from the bridge.  ;)
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 08:31:28 PM »
See, I knew the men here were smarter than average.  ;D

Offline JWP

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 12:20:58 PM »
I've got quite a few hiking packs and can heartily recommend either a Kelty (I have both a 5600ci Red Cloud which is seemingly indestructible, and a Coyote 80) or Osprey (I have an Atmos 65). While Kelty seems to make a very fine product, and I don't regret purchasing them, I've pretty much decided to stick with Osprey going forward due to the quality and features.