Author Topic: lantern for camping  (Read 5873 times)

Offline vica82

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
lantern for camping
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:47:11 AM »
Hi everyone,
What good lantern can you recommend for the beginner in camping. We (I and my  husband) want to go camping this summer. We need a light for the tent. It should not be heavy, because we will be backpacking. So please, advise anything.
PS: the  lantern will be the Christmas present

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Re: lantern for camping
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 01:18:27 PM »
I haven't actually tried Luci Lights myself, but I totally fell in love with them when I saw them.  People on other forums have used them and been pretty happy with them.  Lightweight, compact (they're inflatable) and solar powered.

http://www.rei.com/search.html?q=luci+light&ir=q%3Aluci+light&page=1

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 07:54:23 PM »
A while back I reviewed a decent little camp lantern that runs on D-cells here on the forum.  Here's a link to it on Amazon, they're about $19.  In the same thread, Carl later recommended a newer model that runs on AA's, and it looks maybe even better at $17-ish.  Either of those would make a fine camp lantern for beginners, or anybody else for that matter.

I haven't actually tried Luci Lights myself, but I totally fell in love with them when I saw them.  People on other forums have used them and been pretty happy with them.
Those look really cool!  Think I'll pick up a few in the new year.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »
I'm a fan of the UCO lights.  Flashlight and lantern all in one. 
http://www.rei.com/product/850176/uco-clarus-led-lanternflashlight

The Black Diamond lantern/flashlights are nice too.
http://www.rei.com/product/878207/black-diamond-orbit-lantern

If you're planning on lighting up a campsite another option is to consider battery powered Christmas Tree lights.  I wrap them around the trees, tent guidelines, etc and it makes a very pretty evening (also use them for power outages.  I've got the most festive living room when the power's out!)
http://www.amazon.com/Homestarry-Flexible-Operated-Waterproof-Wireless/dp/B00RF7B7H6/ref=pd_bxgy_86_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WXS92N6S5VTNF3B0PWP

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »
If you're planning on lighting up a campsite another option is to consider battery powered Christmas Tree lights.  I wrap them around the trees, tent guidelines, etc and it makes a very pretty evening (also use them for power outages.  I've got the most festive living room when the power's out!)

I love that idea!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 08:02:38 PM »

I loved that they were inflatable,  so they take up almost no space at all.  And solar, so no replacing the batteries.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 10:55:01 PM »
When I am going light weight, I use a UCO candle lantern, supplemented by a headlamp for tasks after dark.

When truck camping I use an old Coleman propane double mantel lantern I have had for years.

Offline vica82

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 02:35:40 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Homestarry-Flexible-Operated-Waterproof-Wireless/dp/B00RF7B7H6/ref=pd_bxgy_86_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WXS92N6S5VTNF3B0PWP

the idea is really awesome! thanks we will try to do the same..

Offline vica82

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 02:42:59 AM »
well, I viewed one lantern, here https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/emergency-lighting/flashlights/1750330_5959_nebo/ It looks like not bulky, but the brightness is not certain. 157 lumens.. what does it mean?   Black Diamond Orbit Lantern is also good and besides, it is cheaper.. what is better?

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »
well, I viewed one lantern, here https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/emergency-lighting/flashlights/1750330_5959_nebo/ It looks like not bulky, but the brightness is not certain. 157 lumens.. what does it mean?   Black Diamond Orbit Lantern is also good and besides, it is cheaper.. what is better?

I don't know much about it myself, but I found this online:

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 10:56:33 AM »
for tent camping I really like UVPaqlites:  https://www.uvpaqlite.com

I carry a good headlamp and an original paqlite or two.  Hang them on your pack to charge during the day if you have any sun, or shine your headlamp on them for a minute to get enough light for a couple hours in the tent. 

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 06:58:53 PM »
for tent camping I really like UVPaqlites:  https://www.uvpaqlite.com

I carry a good headlamp and an original paqlite or two.  Hang them on your pack to charge during the day if you have any sun, or shine your headlamp on them for a minute to get enough light for a couple hours in the tent.

That's really interesting!

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 08:37:59 PM »
I also have a couple big ones placed in the house as night lights in places that don't have outlets.

And used the little ones as trail and stand markers for my hunting stand.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »
A while back I reviewed a decent little camp lantern that runs on D-cells here on the forum.  Here's a link to it on Amazon, they're about $19.  In the same thread, Carl later recommended a newer model that runs on AA's, and it looks maybe even better at $17-ish.  Either of those would make a fine camp lantern for beginners, or anybody else for that matter.

While the AA powered lantern is a bit more modern looking ....at full (slightly brighter than the 4 "D" cell lantern) brightness it
is only good for a couple of hours though it is easy to dim and then lasts about as long as the 4 "D" lantern for average use
on a weekend. I suggest a few motion detection ( Mr BEAMS) lights for movement in a camp and for night security.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beams-MB532-Operated-Motion-Sensing/dp/B008X099PG/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1450391230&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=mr+beams+motion+sensor+light
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

endurance

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 05:30:56 PM »
Regarding lumen output, your old 2D cell flashlight you had as a kid before LEDs came out was about 20-30 lumens.  If you're inside a tent and you have a one lumen headlamp on, you can read a book comfortably.  If you're trying to fill the tent with enough light to play cards and not struggle to see if that's a black card or a red card, 150 lumens is perfectly adequate.  If you're at a picnic table and you all want to see your food, 150 lumens will work, but if there's six of you playing cards, you're going to struggle (you don't have the tent reflecting the light back toward you in all directions.

That big twin mantle propane lantern was about 1000-1500 lumens; adequate to light up the whole campsite, roughly like a 100 watt bulb in the middle of camp. 

There are LED lanterns now that put out 500-1000 lumens and personally, I'm moving in that direction for car camping in the future.  No more broken mantles, no more expensive little propane bottles, no more fire risk, but the trade off is that they won't heat your tent.  Everything has its trade offs.

Also, note, if you're doing any reading with a headlamp, more than about 10-20 lumens is kind of blinding as it reflects light back into your eyes.  It's like trying to walk to the bathroom in a campground without a flashlight after sitting around that twin mantle lantern.  Good luck with that! :o

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 05:42:52 PM »
I haven't actually tried Luci Lights myself, but I totally fell in love with them when I saw them.  People on other forums have used them and been pretty happy with them.  Lightweight, compact (they're inflatable) and solar powered.

http://www.rei.com/search.html?q=luci+light&ir=q%3Aluci+light&page=1

These are extremely popular with our local boy scout troop for backpacking.  They weigh almost nothing and recharge via solar.

That all said, for CAR CAMPING I'd pack a bit more bulk/weight and get some additional lumens.

I recently got these to supplement our black out kits and will likely pack one when camping next summer.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM8HTIS

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 12:15:24 PM »
My advice on lighting: get a wide round tin (like 4" or more diameter), with a lid if possible. Buy some cheap, long-burning candles (I used cemetery candles for that).  Pull out the wicks along with their bottom metal holders. Depending on the size of your tin, place 3-4 wicks into it, possibly attach them to sticks or wires laid over the edge of the tin, to hold them in place. Melt the candles (can be done carefully on fire, or safely if you place the melting tin/pot into a pot of hot water and heat it). Once it's melted, pour the wax onto the tin with waxes. Let it cool down. Light 1-4 wix at a time, depending on how much light you need.
That's what I carry in my pack all the time and it works well. I chose a wide but low tin, so it's very stable. Packing it with a lid on prevets the candle getting damaged or having debris stuck on it. I also keep a couple matches in the tin, so I can light the candle as soon as I unpack it, without looking for a fire source. Can't advice to use this in a nylon modern tent (though people also do it), but since I'm using a cotton tarp, I don't really fear to use it. I saw people having a tiny wire grid made for their tins, which allowed them to boil a small cup of water on it.
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »
 :popcorn:
Even as men wrecked upon a sand, that look to be
washed off the next tide.