Author Topic: Back at it  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
Back at it
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:13:21 PM »
So I just spent weeks in the field on an exercise.  No PT.  I could feel myself getting weaker, while Charlie squats in the jungle, getting stronger.  I went for a run today and felt like crap.

We all have things that get in the way of fitness.  The important thing is to pick yourself up and get back into it. 

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: Back at it
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:33:14 PM »
I hear you. I just got back into lifting and am enjoying it. I've stayed walking/jogging with the dog as well.

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 10:50:52 PM »
Agreed, working out and staying active is a way of life, it is easy to let things get in the way. I have started BJJ again becuase my kids have taken an interest and I want to be able to help them when they arent in class.
"I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
6.8 SPC 44 percent more energy then the 556 in the same package...
https://www.facebook.com/Hoarfrostfarms
http://www.ar15performance.com/
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 08:32:32 PM »

We all have things that get in the way of fitness.  The important thing is to pick yourself up and get back into it. 

To truly understand the above:
First get a 99% blockage just prior to the bifurcation of the left ventricular artery. Survive that. Survive the surgery. Then walk to the bathroom by yourself or try too...

Regards,
Shadowalker
Want proof that the worst Disasters all begin with man: Godzilla = 28, Tokyo = 0

Online surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 11:27:13 AM »
 I cut some wood and hauled some logs for growing mushrooms this past weekend as well as some firewood logs.

I try to walk a good amount a few times a week.

I go to some martial arts classes

if I have time I am going to paddle my canoe even if it's winter weather ..  I used to surf in the winter but it's too cold at my age but paddling a canoe in the winter is not as hard as surfing in the cold (though to some people winter canoeing sounds crazy). I think the key is to not go when it's windy and go on smaller rivers where there is more shelter from the wind

I also bought a kayak and since it's winter I want to go to go to some indoor pools that they have where people will help me learn the eskimo roll. Once I get that down I can think about running some bigger rapids next year in the kayak, but nothing too crazy. I would like to run the dead river in Maine some day

In the cold weather I also go to church, bible studies, mens groups and so on; often quite a bit more than I go in the summer. This can help me to stay positive and have more energy so I can get out of bed easier in the morning and get going because the winter weather can be challenging psychologically. If you're not feeling right then it can effect everything else
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:41:36 AM by surfivor »

endurance

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »
Chem, good on you. I still have yet to get lifting again, but I've resumed some hard cardio, yoga and core work. It feels good.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 04:16:36 AM »
Lifting 3 days on one day off, I need to do more cardio.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca

Online surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 08:05:21 AM »

I wanted to mention that playing the drums seems to be a type of exercise that people might not have thought of. I am more a guitarist but I jam on the drums with my neighbor at my BOL who plays guitar. We jam in a cold garage but after playing the drums for a little while I end up having to shed layers .. You have to hit the bass drum with your foot so it's not just arms that move

I would consider joining a gym in the winter for a month or two if I was between contracts. It could be a way to meet people and something different. Some have indoor swimming pools

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »
I had been out of exercising for a few years (office work).  Being over 60 just slacking for a few months I start to lose a lot of condition and strength.  When I retired I decided to get back into more activity.  Started with some long day hikes twice a week, then some bicycling and vigorous yard work (hauling gravel, digging and moving dirt, cutting some trees, etc.).  That helped but still a long ways. 

Then last fall I decided to do some temp labor work to force myself into longer hours of activity. I was working 10 hrs, 6 days a week and in constant motion, squatting, pushing heavy carts, lifting, and working tools. I did some stretching before work, too.  That made a huge difference.  After 2 months I felt 10 yrs younger and way more capable.  Been off a month and going back to a project next month.  In this break I have continued stretching every day which has restored a lot of range of movement and flexibility.  And I am alternating days of simple workouts of calisthenics+walks with kettlebells.  Really making a big difference in trimming the torso, strength and endurance. 

It is so darn hard to get motivated when I am way out of condition.  But after a month or so of working out even a little I start to look forward to it.  I am determined to keep at this and stay in shape so I can have more fun with adult kid s and now grandkids, and be healthy for my wife.  For body exercises I am just doing pushups, crunches, plank, and laying down 'bicycling".  I am working up to being able to do burpees but just doing a very few right now.

My kettlebells/equipment workout is one 54# hand swings, press, and "rowing", along with rubber band chest expander and hand grip.  On the hand grip I seem to have something messed up in one of my left hand fingers/knuckles and forearm so I do much less resistance with that side.  On the right hand I use a 100# spring grip, and probably move up pretty soon.

I am trying to keep my workout simple enough that I will stick with it and not get carried away like I normally do until I injure myself and stop for a long time.  And I am trying to minimize equipment.  I might add a couple of fixed weight dumbells later this year.

I'm saving the the money from the next labor project for a good rowing machine.  I practically grew up learning to row on Puget Sound and have used different machines at various clubs over the years.  I plan to do this and walking as my main cardio several times per week.  I've done spinning, elliptical, and treadmill before but enjoy the rowing much more.

I was thinking of the Concept2 D rower, but now thinking maybe the WaterRower Classic.  It will be a couple of months before I can get one but planning to get a very durable machine.

Any suggestions for your favorite body weight exercise (given constraint for doing just a few types per workout)? Or kettlebell or other "minimalist" equipment exercise?  Or favorite rower?  Thanks!
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 03:20:58 AM »
TRX suspension systems are pretty cool and very versatile.  You can adjust resistance with positioning and angles.

-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca