Author Topic: Dash Cam  (Read 6693 times)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
Re: Dash Cam
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 12:01:24 PM »
Good to know. I think I may try the one Chrisfox recommended. I have a friend who is good with wiring and I want to learn so a capacitor makes sense. And hardwired is the way I wanted to go anyways. Knowing that makes me feel better about the heat concerns too.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
Just keep the power cord. It's nice to use it in a rental car for some reason.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 12:17:51 PM »
Just keep the power cord. It's nice to use it in a rental car for some reason.

Like when you have a rental due to an accident where you wish you'd had the dash cam?

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 11:07:05 AM »
Most of the better cameras will already have a cap instead of a battery. There are a few lower end/midgrade cameras that people seem to think highly enough of that you can buy plug and play caps or different lenses for. Alternatively, there are versions of at least a couple of those cameras that are sold with better lenses and a cap already installed.

Just do your research on whichever camera you decide to buy...mostly on where you're buying it from. Many cameras are available as counterfeits at well under half of what the genuine product costs. Lots of those sellers are on amazon or ebay.

endurance

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2017, 11:52:38 AM »
Can anyone confirm that the A119 will turn on if the car is parked and hit at night and record enough of an image to see the car (even if not the plate). I have a friend who parks in an apartment complex and her car gets hit regularly, like it's intentional and wants to identify the perp.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 10:17:06 AM »
It sort of does. You want a dashcam that has true parking lot mode that buffers the recording. On those models, the camera is always "recording" even when parked but will save the video from like 10 seconds before the hit and how ever long you have it set to record after. On the a119, and other budget dashcams,  it just starts recording when it feels the hit. There is also a lag for when it starts up so you may miss what hit you.

Something like the QVIA R935 DUO, which I've installed on my neighbors car and works great,  would do the trick but there are many out there that will work.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 11:42:45 AM »
In the car 24/7. That's why I got the one with a capacitor instead of a battery. All of the reviews said don't get the battery powered one in hot weather.

That's my experience. My battery-backed model worked fine for a few months, but is now a bit wonky since the battery holds no charge.

Unfortunately, most dashcams on the market today are cheap, off-brand Chinese/Russian clones with little/zero tech support.

endurance

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
It sort of does. You want a dashcam that has true parking lot mode that buffers the recording. On those models, the camera is always "recording" even when parked but will save the video from like 10 seconds before the hit and how ever long you have it set to record after. On the a119, and other budget dashcams,  it just starts recording when it feels the hit. There is also a lag for when it starts up so you may miss what hit you.

Something like the QVIA R935 DUO, which I've installed on my neighbors car and works great,  would do the trick but there are many out there that will work.
Thanks for that. That's exactly what she's looking for.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 03:55:22 PM »
So I'm still educating myself, and will do a lot more once I get ready to pull the trigger. Are you saying the A119 doesn't record all the time, only when there's an impact?

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 06:39:09 PM »
It does when you are driving. Some more expensive models have a parking mode that records when you are parked and motor isn't running. I really didn't need that feature so I just went with a basic model.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 06:44:01 PM »
They also have a sensor in it that if it senses a hit, it will tag that video and not record over it. I have mine set to record 3 minute segments. Once it gets to the end of the SD card it will start recording over the oldest video. I turned it off. There were too many false hits, everytime I hit a pothole it would tag that video and wouldn't over-right that one. I figure if I'm ever hit and need the footage, I'll have sense enough to take the sd card out and save the video I need.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2017, 09:00:19 AM »
OK, that makes a lot of sense. The parking sensor thing is neat, but I'm not sure if the premium is worth it considering only one angle is covered. If it's pointing to the front and you get hit from the side you'll most likely have no usable info.

endurance

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 09:17:10 AM »
OK, that makes a lot of sense. The parking sensor thing is neat, but I'm not sure if the premium is worth it considering only one angle is covered. If it's pointing to the front and you get hit from the side you'll most likely have no usable info.
Unless you back in. ;)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
Unless you back in. ;)

Which I always do if I can, but I can still see getting bumped in the side or rear. I guess for what I've seen in cost difference for that feature it doesn't make a lot of sense for me.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »
Yea I thought about it for a little bit. Then I realized that if anything happens in a parking lot, most likely will be slow speed and the damage won't be that bad. That's the greatest joy in driving a beater. "Oh you just hit my car with your BMW, no problem let me hammer that dent out with a 5 pound sledge, done"  ;D

endurance

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2017, 12:57:58 PM »
Yea I thought about it for a little bit. Then I realized that if anything happens in a parking lot, most likely will be slow speed and the damage won't be that bad. That's the greatest joy in driving a beater. "Oh you just hit my car with your BMW, no problem let me hammer that dent out with a 5 pound sledge, done"  ;D
You, just fiberglassed the rust hole in my quarterpanel and haven't gotten around to bondo or paint. It's insurance to me. Nobody would steal a car as ugly as mine.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2017, 02:56:23 PM »
Just bought the A119 with the GPS. I'll give that a shot and see how I like it and how it performs. There is a newer version (A119S) but right now all the reviews say they're equal since the firmware is still being optimized. I'm thinking another 119 for the van to start. Then if the 119S gets better I'll buy those for the front and point the 119 out the back.

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
I did a little research but it seems not many would work well for city night driving with cars/ headlights coming toward you and street lights. Those are the conditions I would need a dashcam to work in, and normal daylight of cause. I know the glaring headlight problem is a difficult one to overcome, but has anyone had a cam that worked well in city type night driving?

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
More expensive units see better at night. Polarized filter helps with the glare. Still, you won't be able to get license plate numbers at night when the cars are moving fast with any dash cam just yet.

Vico Opia 2 was one I was looking at. It's night time is better than what I have now but not $150 better.
https://dashcamtalk.com/vico-opia2/

Offline Ralph

• Survivor
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2017, 10:53:35 PM »
I know that scenario is a problem for almost any camera. I figured some might work better than others. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2017, 08:59:34 AM »
Bought the A119 and like it, however I think I got a bad GPS unit so I'm going to have to return it...

Chris, does your A119 get hot when running? When I turn the car off and feel the camera it is hot to the touch. Not so hot that I can't hold it but it's still pretty warm.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2017, 03:08:40 PM »
I've never even thought to touch it to see if it was hot. I'll try it after work tonight.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2017, 10:58:59 PM »
Thanks. Do you use the GPS unit or just the camera?

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »
Just the camera. I thought about getting the gps but decided against it. All I'm worried about is someone hitting me and saying it was my fault. Also it was kind of warm, but I can't tell if it's the camera itself or just sitting in the sun. We just hit some 80 degree days.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 08:07:43 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I got my new unit Saturday and I'm pretty sure my first was defective. The new one feels much cooler. I did get the GPS unit but for the second I think I might pass on it. I like the idea, but I don't see how useful it would be and some things I've read say that if you use it to not have it display your speed... so what's the point of it? I don't see how location data is relevant when you can clearly see where the car is. For an off-road vehicle I could see the GPS coordinates being useful.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2017, 02:54:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I got my new unit Saturday and I'm pretty sure my first was defective. The new one feels much cooler. I did get the GPS unit but for the second I think I might pass on it. I like the idea, but I don't see how useful it would be and some things I've read say that if you use it to not have it display your speed... so what's the point of it? I don't see how location data is relevant when you can clearly see where the car is. For an off-road vehicle I could see the GPS coordinates being useful.

The GPS is useful because it should be capable of displaying your speed on screen in the video. I'm not sure why anyone would not want to display their speed, unless they are a habitual speeder and are worried they'll be ruled at fault because they were driving above the limit.

I'm going to be buying at least one unit very quickly as my wife hit a mailbox yesterday(low speed, scuffed paint) and hit a parked car today at about 40mph. Today's incident very likely totaled her jeep.  :-\ She has no recollection of exactly what happened either time.  :'( Getting her checked out by our doctor Monday.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Admin Bait!
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
    • Mai Thai Coffee
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2017, 05:52:53 PM »
My unit did display speed when it worked. The reason I'm choosing not to go that route is I can't see how the speed being displayed will help me. I don't speed, but what if something happens and I was going two over but I'm not at fault? I've seen enough slimy insurance work to expect that the driver's insurance would claim I was partly at fault because I was two over.

If I'm clearly not at fault and the footage shows it I don't see the need to have speed displayed. If I'm driving recklessly and speeding the footage will show that as well. If I'm at fault then it probably won't matter if I wasn't speeding.