Author Topic: Keychain flashlight recommendations?  (Read 4944 times)

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
Keychain flashlight recommendations?
« on: January 26, 2017, 05:53:43 PM »
Looking for an inexpensive light. My main concern is that it will not come on in my pocket and run down the battery. I don't need anything especially big or dazzlingly bright.

Thanks for your help!
Even as men wrecked upon a sand, that look to be
washed off the next tide.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
Re: Keychain flashlight recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »
I just got a Fenix E15, it's a little big for some but wow am I impressed so far.  Little sucker is BRIGHT with the rechargeable battery installed.  I've carried Fenix lights for a while now and lost my previous one about a week ago.  I think it was an older E15.

$30 on amazon.
-Dave

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 06:03:53 PM »
I have one of these on my key chain.  It takes 1 AAA battery and has 3 brightness levels, the brightest is 150 lumens.  You twist the rings to make it light.  I've never had ti come on in my pocket.  I'm a big fan.  The wife doesn't like that it's slightly bigger than the AAA battery.

I started out with a nano light and I was pretty happy with it.  It's tiny and is fairly bright.  I just don't like things that take button cells.  As soon as I found the one up above with the AAA battery, I ordered it to replace my nano light.  This works great to find the stuff you've dropped or as a temporary need.  But the coin cells don't last long.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 06:18:12 PM »
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
At the local “dollar store” we bought a pile of keychain lights that are led and red laser.  Small “hearingaid” batteries.  Great? No.  Useful for a short period, yes.  We’ve dumped them all over the place as a short term emergency “flashlight” to find something better.
Retired, but still working in the garden...

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »
The new four sevens 1 123 is stupid bright and has an awesome USB rechargeable option.  Not too expensive for what it is.

Fenix, four sevens, county comm all have great single 123, aa or aaa lights, just pick the features you want.

I am a fan of aa lights.  A small size penalty for triple the battery capacity and easy to find batteries if you need replacements on the road.

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
+1 for the streamlight nanolite.  I forget it's even there until I need it,  and it's pretty bright for how tiny it is.  I'm impressed with the battery life too.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 02:25:19 AM »
+1 for the streamlight nanolite.  I forget it's even there until I need it,  and it's pretty bright for how tiny it is.  I'm impressed with the battery life too.

I got several for family and as 'walk in' surprise gifts for any visitors at Christmas time 2 years ago and it proved more memorable than
many previous gifts that were never commented on after . I use mine often as it can be carried anywhere and is just enough light.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Sailor

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 05:00:57 AM »
I have a box of these under $10 Olight's.  I have the 90 lumen black ones not the 120 lumen silver.  I give them out as gifts.  1 AAA battery.  Super bright for a task light.  I usually don't need 500 lumens when I am under my desk trying to see that USB port lol. 

https://www.amazon.com/Olight-i3E-EOS-Flashlight-Flashlite/dp/B017R560WC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485518241&sr=8-1&keywords=olight+aaa

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »
I have a box of these under $10 Olight's.  I have the 90 lumen black ones not the 120 lumen silver.  I give them out as gifts.  1 AAA battery.  Super bright for a task light.  I usually don't need 500 lumens when I am under my desk trying to see that USB port lol. 

https://www.amazon.com/Olight-i3E-EOS-Flashlight-Flashlite/dp/B017R560WC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485518241&sr=8-1&keywords=olight+aaa

I just ordered one because I can't have enough LED lights.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »
My GF just found the flashlight I lost.  It was in the pocket of a blaze orange jacket I wore a little over a week ago to walk the dog at night.   :facepalm:
-Dave

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
My GF just found the flashlight I lost.  It was in the pocket of a blaze orange jacket I wore a little over a week ago to walk the dog at night.   :facepalm:

My dog wears a headlight around her neck as she fears the dark,it is low cost and funny to see her bounce around with it.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 11:36:06 AM »
LOL, I'll bet Carl.  Duke has a LED collar I got on amazon but he has gotten it wet so many times in the mountains I'm not sure if it works any more.  They aren't real expensive though so I'll probably pick him up a new one for this season if it won't take a charge.  He disappears in the dark without it, and he is a sneaky one.  Curious George so to speak. 
-Dave

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »
LOL, I'll bet Carl.  Duke has a LED collar I got on amazon but he has gotten it wet so many times in the mountains I'm not sure if it works any more.  They aren't real expensive though so I'll probably pick him up a new one for this season if it won't take a charge.  He disappears in the dark without it, and he is a sneaky one.  Curious George so to speak.

Brandi has her own facebook page and the Jan 5 2016 video of her playing NIGHT BALL is funny, she has more friends than me and that's not so funny.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010895351769

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 03:34:21 PM »
a new breed of keychain lights has appeared...

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product-category/t-series

endurance

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 07:57:14 PM »

I have a Thumb and loved it so much I bought one for a friend before he deployed.  Great little USB rechargeable light.  Works great clipped on to your hat as a headlamp, onto your shirt pocket or backpack strap as a fixed light on your chest, or clipped onto your hood liner so you can see your dipstick.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 12:19:44 AM »
I've got a Nitecore Thumb and a Tube. The Thumb is much handier and not much bigger. The ability to charge with USB is a total game changer for small lights.
23:57:30

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 05:42:27 AM »
A light to look at my dipstick ? That's a great idea.

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 07:01:30 AM »

You're killin' me!  I've been developing a flashlight addiction lately, and I thought I had it under control.  ;-)
I'm attracted to the Thumb and the TIP CRI.
MUST- -RESIST- -ORDERING ! !   :o

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 07:49:12 AM »
I really like the Doug Ritter modified Photon lights; a lot of functionality in a tiny package.  I like the pinch feature so it can be turned on with one hand instead of having to twist a bezel.   http://www.dougritter.com/dr_photon.htm  I order them through Knifeworks.com

The Streamlight Nanolight is pretty good but to replace the batteries is far more expensive than the light!  Cheaper to buy a new one than replace the batteries.

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 11:43:02 AM »
I really like the Doug Ritter modified Photon lights; a lot of functionality in a tiny package.  I like the pinch feature so it can be turned on with one hand instead of having to twist a bezel.   http://www.dougritter.com/dr_photon.htm  I order them through Knifeworks.com

Those are cool.  Only feature I would add, is make the key ring hookup on the side, so you can bite it without your keys hanging out of your mouth.  I know... it's not intended to be a bite light.  But really... visualize all you have on you, for some silly reason, is your keychain light, and you need your hands free to put on tire chains.  I know, right tool, right job... *sigh*.  ;-)

The Streamlight Nanolight is pretty good but to replace the batteries is far more expensive than the light!  Cheaper to buy a new one than replace the batteries.

I thought the same thing, and finally found LR41s in bulk:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AQ7ME6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »
I thought the same thing, and finally found LR41s in bulk:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AQ7ME6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yep, I get all my "watch batteries" on Amazon.  Not willing to pay $5 each in the store.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline James

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »
I have a Photon Micro on my keychain, and recommend it for that purpose 

https://www.amazon.com/LRI-PWK-Photon-Keychain-Micro-Light/dp/B00006I4Y2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487011141&sr=8-2&keywords=photon

Although I will add the caveat that I don't use it as often because I almost always have a Streamlight in my pocket. 

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »

+1 for nitecore.

I have the Tube and it's great. It seems like it's quite a bit smaller than the thumb or TIP, and I personally like to have my keychain as small as possible. The tube puts out 45 lumens, which I learned is bright enough to use as a headlight for my snowmobile when I forget my headlamp (also nitecore).

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
haha! i love it!
you move a Thumb and all the Nitecore junkies come out!

that company has scored in several ways.....