Author Topic: Rita's 2017 Garden  (Read 1781 times)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Rita's 2017 Garden
« on: January 28, 2017, 01:50:51 PM »
It's looking like I have some that wintered over from last year's crop.  Not a whole lot, mostly herbs, but I got to keep:

Italian parsley
Sage
Bunching onions
Green onions - none of the onions did very well
Three artichoke plants - they did nothing last year, but look like they might this year.

I already started some seeds indoors:

Two types of dill - I use it a lot
Zucchini
Cilantro
Another variety of parsley
Glass gem corn - really a Hail Mary pass - I'll be stunned if it grow, but it's AMAZING so I'm giving it a try

In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to set out tomatoes, beets, peas, and lettuce too.  I'll probably grow some catnip as well, but I'll be keeping that indoors.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Rita's 2017 Garden
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 01:53:27 PM »
That Glass Gem corn is so coooool looking. I have seed. It it has not been planted. Your artichokes will likely do something this year.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:05:07 PM »

I hope you're right and the artichokes produce.  I love it, and it was the one crop I was really disappointed not to see.

In case anyone else is wondering about glass gem corn, this is what it looks like.  Now you can see why I'm desperately hoping it will grow.

Online chad

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 02:30:53 PM »
I hope you're right and the artichokes produce.  I love it, and it was the one crop I was really disappointed not to see.

In case anyone else is wondering about glass gem corn, this is what it looks like.  Now you can see why I'm desperately hoping it will grow.

Looks like a Monsanto "special" project ::)

Dose it taste good?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »
Chad, it is actually a popcorn, which can also be used as a flint corn as well. This is an open pollinated heirloom corn which h was around before Monsanto even was a dream. I have  never popped it yet, as I was establishing seedstock

Cedar
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:46:57 PM by Cedar »
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 02:38:41 PM »
Looks like a Monsanto "special" project ::)

Not GMO, but it was bred for the gorgeous colors.

Here's a link to the story behind it.

http://www.nativeseeds.org/community/199-the-story-of-glass-gem-corn-beauty-history-and-hope

Dose it taste good?

I haven't been able to grow any yet, but I've been told that it's good for popcorn or corn meal.

Online chad

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 02:43:45 PM »
Very interesting..

It's a work of art.

Offline tomboy72

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 05:45:43 AM »
The glass gem corn is beautiful and I wish you luck with it.  I'm also envious that you will be setting out plants in a few weeks.  It will be mid-late May before I can even think about setting out tomatoes here.  :)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 06:06:35 AM »

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 06:15:14 AM »
The glass gem corn is beautiful and I wish you luck with it.  I'm also envious that you will be setting out plants in a few weeks.  It will be mid-late May before I can even think about setting out tomatoes here.  :)

Don't envy me.  It's both a matter of getting to start early and needing to start early. 

Around June, our temps climb to 100F and stay there until at least September, with highs going up to 110F or more (I've seen 117F since I've been here).  That pretty much ends our growing season.  If the plants survive the heat, there's another month or two in the fall when they'll produce, but often they've been fried to a crisp by then, even with watering deeply every single day.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 06:16:04 AM »
Just... wow.  8)  That is beautiful.

Isn't it awesome?  That's why I'm trying so hard, even though I doubt they'll grow here.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 08:38:46 AM »
I'm starting to see the corn seedlings pop up, and a hint of the summer squash too!

I've checked the weather reports, and the lows aren't supposed to go below 40F in the foreseeable future.  Since our last average frost day is Valentines Day anyway, and I have the day off from work, I'm going to get some plants to set out today!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »
Well that was a bummer.

I've still got my seedlings doing well so far, but with the weather being warm (1:00 pm and it's 66F) and looking to stay that way over the long haul, I figured I would take my day off and start planting.

Nope.  The store hadn't stocked much yet, and what they did have sold out over the weekend.

I'll still got some potting soil, tomato cages, a new hose (the heat here destroys them) and a new watering wand (I broke the last one).  But the only plants I could find that I didn't already have were raspberries and cauliflower.  Maybe next weekend...

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
Plants are looking good.  The lettuce is coming up, the beets look good, and the cauliflower is really thriving.  The peas and corn are even doing well.

Thankfully, the temps are going back down for a bit.  We were hitting low 90s the past few days.  Yeah, in March.  But we're supposed to drop back down to the 70s later in the week.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »
Massive rainstorm yesterday.  Only 3/100 of an inch predicted, but weather here tends to get a bit out of control at times.  Unfortunately, none if it touched my garden. 

With temps the way they are now, I'm watering twice a week for plants in containers.  In the summer, that goes up to a couple inches of water every day.  It's brutal.

I've already harvested some of the dill, which is no surprise. It's super easy to grow.  And the cauliflower are slightly larger than golf balls, so I'm hoping to get some of those on the table before it heats up too much.  Most plants hate highs in the 110s with lows in the mid-90s.

The beets also look like they're doing really well, but I'll have to dig one up pretty soon to see.

And I still have high hopes for the glass gem corn, but it's a race against time.

Offline Stwood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 02:49:14 PM »
I'm anxious to till the garden and get started. I envy you all with a earlier, warmer climate sometimes.
Up and coming Prepper (2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »
It's nice.  We can usually start in early to mid February.

But once June hits, nothing grows.  It's not even cool at night.  Then we can start up again around late September or October, so we really have two short growing seasons instead of a long one.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 06:48:37 PM »
So bummed.  I meant to bring some fresh dill to my mom's house when I visited, but I forgot.  So when I made her salmon, I had to actually buy some from the store when I had a thriving plant at home.

Offline Stwood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »
We do the same. Forget stuff that we could have done.
I think we all have too much to do.
Up and coming Prepper (2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 10:32:28 AM »
We do the same. Forget stuff that we could have done.
I think we all have too much to do.

I think you're right.