Author Topic: Going on vacation, need a cheap knife I can throw away  (Read 1341 times)

Online ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
Going on vacation, need a cheap knife I can throw away
« on: February 05, 2017, 08:03:12 PM »
Headed to NH this summer for vacation. Since I can't carry a knife on the plane, what would you consider the best cheap knife to pick up at after I land. One where you wouldn't mind either giving away after a week or tossing away.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Going on vacation, need a cheap knife I can throw away
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 08:26:46 PM »
You are going on vacation with no checked luggage?  Knives are OK in checked bags.  I understand the desire to not checks bags with extra fees and potential theft. But you might consider checking some less important and bulkier items in a bag along with a knife and other items not OK for carry-ons: I always pack a liter of water to have in case arrival gets messed up and I am stranded or checking in very late at night; plus I like to have other toiletries and first aid items, sewing kit, etc.  I've traveled quite a bit with a handgun and ammo and a couple of knives (according to destination laws) in checked bags and never had a problem with theft.  Reports of baggage theft seems to be much worse through Chicago and maybe a few larger cities, so I always try to go through and arrive at regional airports if possible and definitely stay away from Chicago.  Denver has never been a problem for me and I can't recall any theft scandals there.

Another option is to mail your knife to your destination and mail it back home, insured.  Cheaper than buying even a low cost knife.

To answer your actual question, I assume you are talking about a sturdy folder rather than a sheath knife.  If it is throw away and picking it up there, then you are limited to what is available locally.  That probably means Gerber, Buck, Schrade, or some no-name Chinese knife for under $30.  If available, I have found the Kershaw knives to be pretty well made and many models under $30 (Chinese).  Kershaw uses a "flipper" for quick opening but the blades are generally 3" or shorter.  For a heftier camp utility knife Gerber or Buck are probably more likely.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Pistolero

• Prepper
  • Certified Firearms Instructor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 08:27:24 PM »
Then put it inside your checked luggage. 

When I want a decent, yet, serviceable knife at a reasonable price I'm prone to go with either Becker Tool, or CRKT blades.  Even Walmart has some interesting knives for sale, 'on the cheap'.  My favorite inexpensive blade is the Becker, 'Companion' which Amazon sells for around $75 bucks. 
'Les yeux sont le miroir de l'âme’

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 08:28:17 PM »
Buck Vantage  $25

I picked it up while traveling by air and left it with family when I flew back.

I liked it so much I bought the Pro versions for EDC when I got home, and they are still some of my all time favs.
23:57:30

Online ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »
I don't travel anymore with checked bags. Makes life so much easier. One bag is enough for a week for me. I didn't even think about mailing one to myself. Have to look into that. Just looking and there's a Home Depot on the way on 93, they usually have a multitool or small knife I could get.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 10:03:50 PM »
I have no issues with any of the suggestions. For light cutting work, don't look down your nose at gas station knives. I don't consider them for serious work but they keep your serious knife (cutting seat belts, muggers, etc) from getting dulled or nasty from opening packages and letters.

A lot of them are locking blade and one hand opening now.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:26:49 AM »
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 02:52:37 PM »
Walmart. I can get by with the cheapie for a week or so. Pocket knives at walmart.com you can order and ship to store for free. I like to look for Walmarts before I travel for work to be able to pick up snacks and such after I land.
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 03:37:35 PM »
Walmart. I can get by with the cheapie for a week or so. Pocket knives at walmart.com you can order and ship to store for free. I like to look for Walmarts before I travel for work to be able to pick up snacks and such after I land.

I do the same thing (not Walmart specifically but groceries, etc).  My first stop outside the airport is to pick up some bottles of water and some food and anything I might have forgotten.  Sometimes plans don't work out and I've end up back at a hotel late with most food places are closed and I hadn't eaten since lunch.  Or my flights were seriously delayed/canceled and when I arrive it is 1am.  Usually a Safeway is open.  Walmart or similar would be even better.  Just have to be sure of the neighborhood before roaming around that late, or wait and shop first thing in the morning before meetings.  I've been in several offices where there was a very local power outage due to construction mistakes, so even when everything seems normal a hotel can be out of power too.  A few items can make any disruption more tolerable.

I totally understand the convenience of only taking carry-on.  When we travel overseas that is what we do because losing luggage could be a real hassle, expense and inconvenience.  But traveling within the US I am willing to risk a lost bag for the convenience of having everything I want: firearm, knives, survival kit, first aid kit, sewing kit, etc.  Only once was my baggage lost with a firearm, on Southwest out of Portland and it was delivered to the hotel the next morning intact (it was put on a much later flight).  When I travel with my wife we put one change of clothes in each other's bag so if one is lost that person will have at least some clothes to switch between. And we both take similar "accessories" so we have at least one set if needed.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 07:03:54 PM »
Another possibility is to buy an inexpensive knife online and have it shipped to your hotel/friend where you are staying over.  If you don't need a folder, then the Morakniv sheath knives are a fantastic value.  I've bought several of the Companion stainless knives for around $13 each and carbon blades are even cheaper ($11).  If you have Prime subscription then shipping is free.
https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline-Utility-Sandvik-Stainless/dp/B00T3E692M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486432840&sr=8-4&keywords=morakniv

Although, I like the Morakniv knives so much it would be hard to part with one even at $11.  Just FYI, the $35 Bushcraft model is superb as well, but the Campanion SS is an unbeatable deal.

Online ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 08:55:24 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going with the mailing of a knife but backwards. Buy something nice when I get there and mail it back to myself before I leave. Then I get to keep a nice knife instead of throwing one away.   ;D

Going to spend the day after I land just cruising around Boston for a day before I start looking for work in NH. I can pick something up there if I find something cool.

endurance

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 12:23:38 AM »
That's why I always check baggage.  A knife for one, but also just all those things I don't want to have to explain, like a steripen, disposable ponchos, headlamp, multitool, paracord, potassium iodide tablets, trauma kit, etc.  I could cut down on my kit, but then I would feel naked when I arrived in the new city.

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 11:41:53 AM »
Something to consider is a replaceable blade utility knife like the Gerber EAB.  Ditch the blade and carry it on, then buy a new blade at the other end.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Lite-Pocket-Knife-31-000345/dp/B002RILCLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486492866&sr=8-1&keywords=gerber+utility

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 11:48:29 AM »
That's why I always check baggage.  A knife for one, but also just all those things I don't want to have to explain, like a steripen, disposable ponchos, headlamp, multitool, paracord, potassium iodide tablets, trauma kit, etc.

I've gotten concerned looks and questions for taking lavender on a plane, so I can only image how the potassium iodide discussion would go over with TSA!

Online ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 06:51:48 PM »
It's going to be fun explaining my herbal tea and meal replacement shakes I'm taking.

No officer that ain't weed
http://i.imgur.com/8DGavPV.jpg

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 09:55:12 PM »
good idea with the gerber eab. I do love having my gerber eab with me, in fact i've replaced it 3 times since i keep loosing the damn thing. keeping it in my front pocket means it falls out, finally found a good used .38 cartridge belt carrier that it fits good enough until I get the supplies to make a better one.

but the mora is a good idea also. hmm, i'll have to consider that the next time i fly.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline surfivor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 07:44:28 AM »
 You need a knife for self protection, general use, working with wood, camping, cleaning fish, all of the above ?

I lost my tiny little knife coming back from Idaho, I left it in my carry on by mistake .. I got it at EMS

I think the easiest way to make a knife is using a file and some antlers but I have never tried it, I just read about it .. I think antlers are hard but easy enough to file. You can make arrow heads from them also
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:52:17 AM by surfivor »