Author Topic: Skills for Kids to Learn  (Read 1857 times)

Offline clayfarmer

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
Skills for Kids to Learn
« on: February 24, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »
Hey all,
I have 3 kids, and the oldest is 10 years old (almost 11), and is really showing an interest in learning how to "do stuff".  I'm kicking around an idea, and I need your help.  I'd like to come up with a list of 26 skills to teach him over the next year. I want to be very intentional about it and plan it out, because if I don't, I'll get busy with life and next thing I know he'll be 18 :-(

So I'd like to start out with 26 outdoor skills (26 allows 2 weeks for each skill).  Obviously I need to teach him how to balance a checkbook, change a tire, etc etc, but for this, I want to focus on outdoor/primitive skills.

For example, last week I taught him how to make a fire with matches.  Not rocket science, but he didn't know how....and now he does. 

Some other ideas I came up with are:

- building a knife, I have ordered a kit from knifekits.com, so we'll be working on this next
- starting a fire, various methods (flint/steel, etc)
- knife sharpening
- navigation with map/compass
- building snares, trapping,etc
- camping
- hunting/fishing (we already do a lot of this, but do more/different things)

I don't expect him to become an expert on each thing in 2 weeks.  I just want to introduce him to all these different things and see where his interest takes us.

So I need your help building out this list.  Or maybe theres a book or website that covers this type of thing?   Any and all ideas appreciated. 
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark"

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Skills for Kids to Learn
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 11:02:39 AM »
  Exposure will get you fast...so teach them how to build debris shelters

Being found is job two...teach them to arrange logs/trees into a cross so as to be easier to find from above

Use of cordage for shelter skills etc.

a pocket kit with knife,matches,cordage,band aides ? fish hooks
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:58:52 AM »
Sounds like Boy Scout requirements for the first class rank :)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:00:58 PM »
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »
Sounds like Boy Scout requirements for the first class rank :)

It's not called the be a boy if you feel like it scouts yet?

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline clayfarmer

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »
You know, if the Scouts were still what they were when I was a kid, I might have him in it.  Unfortunately, they've changed.  That's OK though - skills should be passed from father to son. 
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark"

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 12:42:27 PM »
skills should be passed from father to son.

Karma and amen dude!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 03:05:25 PM »
You know, if the Scouts were still what they were when I was a kid, I might have him in it.  Unfortunately, they've changed.  That's OK though - skills should be passed from father to son.

I live deep in enemy territory (politically) and scouts are one of the few traditional groups available where we can be ourselves it seems.

My oldest is almost 13.  He's not super ambitious with learning new stuff like I'd hope, but I gently push him to try new stuff.  We recently spent a weekend working on winter skills building.  Pitched a tent on 4 feet of snow, built fires in the snow, etc.  If nothing else it builds confidence for kids to know they did something they thought would be difficult and succeeded.  He's also wrapping up his first aid merit badge.  All practical stuff.

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »
One sub-skill that wasn't mentioned but is included in many others is knot tying.  Pick your top ten knots, bends, hitches etc and then use them for the other skills. 

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 05:59:41 PM »
Building a fire.  Don't start out with something like flint and steel.  Start easy.  Teach them the right way to build a fire so they can get is started with 1 match.  Only then should you move on to more difficult methods. 
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »
One sub-skill that wasn't mentioned but is included in many others is knot tying.  Pick your top ten knots, bends, hitches etc and then use them for the other skills.

square, clove hitch, and some form of tautline are essential

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 03:10:19 AM »
square, clove hitch, and some form of tautline are essential

I said use of cordage for shelter etc, I guess I needed to better define my thoughts.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 08:09:17 AM »
I said use of cordage for shelter etc, I guess I needed to better define my thoughts.

You are fine Carl.  It's the people who buy a hunk of paracord, throw it in the bug out bag, but lack the skill to tie their own shoes :)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 08:36:48 AM »
You are fine Carl.  It's the people who buy a hunk of paracord, throw it in the bug out bag, but lack the skill to tie their own shoes :)

But,as a person who has major dexterity issues,I have discovered knots that I can deal with...even tieing my shoes is often very difficult.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
I think it's more important for kids to learn how to build a fire than it is how to start one. A stack of wood and tinder built to start with a single spark from flint or firesteel is way easier to start with a flame. It'll also start from a coal obtained via more primitive methods.

Wild edibles. Somewhat seasonal, depending on where you are.
Shelter building. Exposure can kill a lot faster than dehydration or starvation.
How to find water, and primitive(but effective) purification.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 12:47:11 AM »
My daughter and I have been building Estes type model rockets.  We did a simple kit for the first, a payloader for the second.  I ordered another for her to try to build while I am gone and plan on progressing to two stagers when I get back.  Basic crafty skills, a little math in computing altitude using the angle measurement method.  I will be encouraging her to choose a payload experiment of some sort.

She has shown some interest in amateur radio and we have done some studying for her Tech but it was in the very earliest stages when I left.  I don't think it will get momentum with her unless she sees the wife and I operating more.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 05:56:07 PM »
She has shown some interest in amateur radio and we have done some studying for her Tech but it was in the very earliest stages when I left.  I don't think it will get momentum with her unless she sees the wife and I operating more.

Not sure where you're at or how severe local weather is, but you might try piquing her interest by listening(or even participating) in storm spotting with Skywarn.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 05:54:37 AM »
Not sure where you're at or how severe local weather is, but you might try piquing her interest by listening(or even participating) in storm spotting with Skywarn.
I probably will at my next duty station.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 07:13:50 AM »
My daughter and I have been building Estes type model rockets.  We did a simple kit for the first, a payloader for the second.  I ordered another for her to try to build while I am gone and plan on progressing to two stagers when I get back.  Basic crafty skills, a little math in computing altitude using the angle measurement method.  I will be encouraging her to choose a payload experiment of some sort.
Model rockets are good all around.  Did them as a kid, did them with my kids, still dabble in them as time permits.  Like you said, crafty skills and math, but then it can segue into so much more, like basic engineering, advanced model building, programming... and then we get to the true high geekery that combines model rockets with a ham Tech license.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 09:18:59 AM »
The bushcraftusa forums have something called bushclass: a primitive skills challenge.
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/forums/bushclass-usa.132/
You'll find some great ideas there.
There's also the book "A Dangerous Book for Boys". There was another one, originally written some time in the early 1900s that Jack mentioned in the last few weeks. Can't remember the title for the life of me, though.

RE: Boyscouts, it seems to be really troop dependent. Some are great, some are... less so. I'm hoping to be a troop leader and to get my son into it when the time comes. If not, Baden-Powell it might well be.
Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill