Author Topic: Russia selects replacement(s) to the AK-74  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Russia selects replacement(s) to the AK-74
« on: March 15, 2017, 05:57:36 AM »
Russia finally is starting to adopt a replacement to the AK-74.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/03/13/russia-will-adopt-ak-12-aek-971-assault-rifles/

These rifles have been around a while and people had wondered why it wasn't done a long time ago.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Russia selects replacement(s) to the AK-74
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 06:24:24 AM »
These rifles have been around a while and people had wondered why it wasn't done a long time ago.
Interesting stuff.  I'm glad to see the Giant Safety Lever of Klack is gone.  Maybe waiting so long to make the switch was a simple economic decision.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 10:40:35 PM »
No reason to fix what ain't broke. The existing AK safety/selector works just fine even if it is clumsy to use. They could have changed it to a more accessible design a long time ago if it was truly needed.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 11:22:14 PM »
No reason to fix what ain't broke. The existing AK safety/selector works just fine even if it is clumsy to use. They could have changed it to a more accessible design a long time ago if it was truly needed.
Well they are changing it now...but this time it's not needed for some reason it's just a fad? ::)
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »
I think at this point, they're tired of listening to people whine about the safety that isn't like an AR....that and Mikhail ain't around anymore to tell them not to screw with a well proven and reliable design. *shrug*

Aristotle

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »
Time marches on. A 1965 Ford pickup "worked".  But a new Toyota pickup can go twice the duration between oil changes, gets twice the mpg and twice the HP, needs less maintenance and happily operates beyond 250K miles.  It's okay to love the old thing, but if you were running a business, or equipping an army in this case, practical attributes matter.

I think it's curious that both new rifles still feature a piston. 

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 12:52:38 PM »
Time marches on. A 1965 Ford pickup "worked".  But a new Toyota pickup can go twice the duration between oil changes, gets twice the mpg and twice the HP, needs less maintenance and happily operates beyond 250K miles.  It's okay to love the old thing, but if you were running a business, or equipping an army in this case, practical attributes matter.

I think it's curious that both new rifles still feature a piston.

In 1965, that ford pickup very likely still had a points ignition and it definitely had a cheap mechanical fuel pump along with an easily serviced carburetor. Anyone with basic hand tools and just a bit of knowledge could keep one running. That new Toyota pickup has a mile of wiring and a multitude of electronics which can and do fail....and are significantly more difficult to diagnose and repair. The failure of a ten cent resistor/capacitor/etc. can render that vehicle inoperable. That's not what I call progress.

Aristotle

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 07:11:28 PM »
In 1965, that ford pickup very likely still had a points ignition and it definitely had a cheap mechanical fuel pump along with an easily serviced carburetor. Anyone with basic hand tools and just a bit of knowledge could keep one running. That new Toyota pickup has a mile of wiring and a multitude of electronics which can and do fail....and are significantly more difficult to diagnose and repair. The failure of a ten cent resistor/capacitor/etc. can render that vehicle inoperable. That's not what I call progress.

With all due respect, I'm a happy Toyota truck owner.

Cheers to free market choices!