Author Topic: Markets for rabbit skins  (Read 193 times)

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
Markets for rabbit skins
« on: March 17, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
Does anyone have suggestions for useful ways to get rid of then skins of meat rabbits? 

I realize that there are lots of custom projects, but I don't really have time to tan and produce bespoke items and there is also a limit to the number of rabbit fur things I need.  Are there good markets to sell pelts into?  Need to be tanned first?  etc?  (I realize the profitability would be low inmost cases, but something is better than nothing.)  Thanks!

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Markets for rabbit skins
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:39:14 PM »
I don't have any first hand experience.  But a friend who raises rabbits told me that she doesn't do anything with skins because they are too thin.  When butchering rabbits at such a young age, they haven't time to develop a thick enough skin to make them usable.  She does sometimes save and use skins from her breeders that are older when they are culled.
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Markets for rabbit skins
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:13:39 PM »
Interesting.  I just feel bad throwing them away!