Author Topic: Talk to me about...feet!  (Read 294 times)

Offline Ice Princess

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Talk to me about...feet!
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:02:32 PM »
Hey all, I work at a stockyard on weekends, miles of walking involved. I'm approaching 30, has anyone else found their feet changed size around this age?? My regular shoe size is still comfortable, and next size up seems too big. About... Two? Three? months ago while working I bruised the heck out of my big toenail (just from walking). Research tells me this is probably due to poor shoe fit. Next question, any tips/tricks to deal with the toenail in the interm? The bruise is growing out but I'm gonna lose the nail. Its tender and not securely attached. Sorry if that was TMI, but I figured anyone in a sudden bug out or unexpected hike scenario could benefit from the info as well :) 

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Talk to me about...feet!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »
Couple of thoughts:
Mine changed sizes a bit due to pregnancy.  Don't know if that is a possibility for you.

Also, when you measure shoes, do you always use the same foot?  Hubby has one foot at 7.5, the other is 8.5.  Makes finding shoes that fit comfortably difficult.  And he only found that out about 5 years ago, age 35. 

Finally there are a few brands of shoes that are designed to give more room in the toes.  I cannot remember what they are.  I will look at hubbys tomorrow.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 10:03:29 PM »
When I worked for the power company a while back, we were required to wear heavy shoes that had ankle support, so most of us wore hiking boots (15-20 miles of walking on a normal day).

I found wearing men's boots helped a lot because they're wider.  Now you'd have to go down a bit in sizes because a men's 8 doesn't equal a woman's 8, but I would give it a shot.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 12:23:19 AM »
Sounds like your feet are important to your work. Have you tried a high end outdoor store? Some of the trail shoes these days are tough, light, supportive and comfortable. They can be spendy though.  If you want to scratch the back of the person that fitted you buy the first pair there and order online afterwards.

I have never lost a whole nail, sounds painful.

I may be in the running for ugliest feet. A military career with my feet encased in boots has left it's mark.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 07:51:38 AM »
I may be in the running for ugliest feet. A military career with my feet encased in boots has left it's mark.

Jay is right there with you.  He may not wear boots, but a combination of genetics and almost 40 years of 16 hour days in dress shoes while he walks all over conventions and nightclubs photographing things has given him fat toes with teeny, tiny toenails.  It ain't pretty.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »
I worked manufacturing for a couple of years, was on my feet all day, and yes my feet absolutely got bigger (I'm 27). I mostly noticed it in the width around the ball of my foot (the width around my heel largely stayed the same) and in the total length. I had to get rid of (literally) all of my old shoes and buy new ones because my feet felt crunched in every pair I owned. I went up probably 1/2-1 size.

Keen shoes are my saviors. With the wide toe box, good arch support, and asymmetrical fit, I hardly notice I'm wearing them.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »

I may be in the running for ugliest feet.

Jay has fat toes with teeny, tiny toenails.  It ain't pretty.

TMI, people.  TMI   ::)
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.