Author Topic: HOW TO PREPARE FOR A CAMPING TRIP?  (Read 1474 times)

Offline linjiawen0910

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
HOW TO PREPARE FOR A CAMPING TRIP?
« on: September 15, 2017, 01:21:12 AM »
I want to go camping,

HOW TO PREPARE FOR A CAMPING TRIP

What should I prepare?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: HOW TO PREPARE FOR A CAMPING TRIP?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 02:54:04 AM »
  Plan for shelter,comfort,drink,food,HYGIENE  ...hot or cold? How to have hot or cold environment,food,drink.

Start with camp set-up in your yard,practice shelter,drink,food carry,storage,preparation

Your question lacks detail enough to give better answers...so let's see more detail?
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 04:40:28 AM »
Your question lacks detail enough to give better answers...so let's see more detail?

Yeah, I camp a bit with my husband and always prepare differently depending on several factors. Are you tent or trailer camping? If tent camping, will you have a car nearby or are you hiking in? Is there potable water at the campsite? How many nights are you staying?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 07:07:03 AM »
Where are you going? Where are you staying? What do you have? What is the weather? What is the wildlife like there? Are you going to have raccoons into your beer? Do you need to hang your food in bear boxes? How long are you going? Is there a fire ban? Are you planning on cooking? Or have no cook foods to eat ( my daughter and I chose to take no cook on our last trip we took).

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 07:47:38 AM »
find a basic list like this:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/166914729917184608

That list has too much stuff on it so make your own list of basics

Just go for one night, then next time you go you will have a better idea what you should have brought.

Camping is good, it helps you appreciate what you have .. a roof over your head, hot water etc and you will get fresh air .. be strong, unless you're going to the everglades or the big swamp don't worry about a few bugs or inconveniences. On the other hand; UFO's and big foot, watch out for those so I would camp near other people.

Learn to light a camp fire. If you are cold because you didn't bring enough warm stuff or big foot is out there so you can't sleep, then get up and light a camp fire. A tarp and rope is good if it rains.

Make sure you camp where it is ok to collect firewood and there is deadwood around that is off the ground and dry or bring your own firewood
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:04:48 AM by surfivor »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 09:05:14 AM »
What style of camping?

Are you pulling the family SUV into a reserved spot at a state campground or backpacking into US Forest land, carrying everything you need on your back?
I've done a bit of all of it, and the gear I take varies considerably.

Truth is, we could have a thread specific just to tent selection and setup.
Another thread on camping food.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 09:17:35 AM »
 You only need a tent if there are a fair amount of bugs or if it's going to be rainy and windy. If just a light rain and no bugs, you can set up a tarp by running rope between trees. Use some bungy chords or similar to get the rope tight. Pick a night when heavy rain is not expected. In desert areas scorpions could be something to be aware of. Some people just sleep under the stars

If you are car camping and things go bad, you can always sleep in the car

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 09:26:30 AM »
You only need a tent if there are a fair amount of bugs or if it's going to be rainy and windy. If just a light rain and no bugs, you can set up a tarp by running rope between trees. Use some bungy chords or similar to get the rope tight. Pick a night when heavy rain is not expected. In desert areas scorpions could be something to be aware of. Some people just sleep under the stars

If you are car camping and things go bad, you can always sleep in the car

Camping solo perhaps.  Bringing along a wife or girlfriend, you might want to do better than a tarp if you don't want this to be your LAST camping trip ;)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »
Camping solo perhaps.  Bringing along a wife or girlfriend, you might want to do better than a tarp if you don't want this to be your LAST camping trip ;)

maybe, but women are joining the military these days as well. If you have never been camping before and you are bringing a woman whom you want to stay with who has never been camping, that could be an adventure.

If you have no military experience and haven't been camping, I wasn't sure if they would let you on the forums. So I would get out there and get it done no matter what you have to do.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 10:29:50 AM »
maybe, but women are joining the military these days as well. If you have never been camping before and you are bringing a woman whom you want to stay with who has never been camping, that could be an adventure.

If you have no military experience and haven't been camping, I wasn't sure if they would let you on the forums. So I would get out there and get it done no matter what you have to do.

Even some of the toughest, most independent women enjoy being treated like a lady from time to time.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »
Even some of the toughest, most independent women enjoy being treated like a lady from time to time.

From time to time ? If you go camping on rare occasions and they have a problem with that, then it means mostly all the time which is typical probably. Or, as I imagine with many, once you are roped in then no more camping ..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:09:14 PM by surfivor »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
From time to time ? If you go camping on rare occasions and they have a problem with that, then it means mostly all the time which is typical probably. Or, as I imagine with many, once you are roped in then no more camping ..

By chance are you single?   :rofl:

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »
By chance are you single?   :rofl:

I would give up whatever I had to if I liked someone enough if necessary but that never happened. Many of the women I have known or others in my family, their idea of relaxing always involves significant luxuries of fine food, wine, fancy this or that, sight seeing, museums, accommodations, etc. All that is fine but if I can't get out on a hiking trail, surf some waves, or get some exercise then I can't relax even if you put me in a giant castle. I have a desk job and try to exercise but when I am away or on vacation, I need to be active otherwise I will not sleep as well, etc ..

I've known a few women that if you mention camping or that you like camping, then they automatically decide right away that you are not compatible with them. That seems pretty common
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:57:19 PM by surfivor »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »

You betcha!!  I have sleep outside at -48f (willingly), in the back of a pickup bed in a gravel pit with frozen Tim Bits to eat, a couple weeks ago just tossed sleeping bags, a BOB, a cooler and slept in the canopy, but I like five star hotels, high end chocolate, and a dozen roses too ( any colour mind you). And although it is rare to see me in a dress and high heels, it does happen periodically.

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 02:22:17 PM »
                                  -------------------------
Have Woman ? ----- > |                       YES  | -------> Buy nice tent
                                  ----- NO --------------
                                          |
                                          -----> sleep on ground or in a cave is sufficient, use ground cloth

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
  I am thinking we may have overwhelmed the original poster or scared them to silence.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »
 You may want to find a woman first and then see if camping works out. I don't recommend camping alone on Bear country, it' better to bring your girlfriend so your not alone.

Sometimes it's just scary or spooky out in the woods alone.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 04:10:11 PM »
You may want to find a woman first and then see if camping works out. I don't recommend camping alone on Bear country, it' better to bring your girlfriend so your not alone.

Sometimes it's just scary or spooky out in the woods alone.

With what little info was given ,the poster may be a woman....lighten up as none of the persons posts or bio mention their SEX.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »
Hopefully we did not scare him/her/them away....but we did kinda need more info on where/how/what.

Cedar

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 09:02:06 AM »
Surf's comments about bringing a woman along for defense reminded me of this old gem:

We hadn’t gone more than a half-mile into the heavy timber when, out of nowhere, there suddenly came a huge
sow grizzly bear crashing through the brush and charging straight toward us at full speed. I guess she must
have had a cub around because she was mad as hell and coming to kill both of us in an instant. There was no
place to run, no time to run (can’t outrun a grizzly anyway), and I’m standing there with nothing but a tiny
little Beretta Jetfire loaded with one .22 short in my hand.
Laugh if you wish at its effectiveness, but it only took one well-placed shot to my brother-in-law’s kneecap and
I was able to escape a major bear attack by only walking away at a brisk pace

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »
  I am thinking we may have overwhelmed the original poster or scared them to silence.

The original poster was a spammer from China, but he started a good thread before getting ejected. ;D

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 11:30:38 AM »
The original poster was a spammer from China, but he started a good thread before getting ejected. ;D

Wow, seriously?  Impressive spammer...  Makes me wonder who else on this board is a spammer?   :P
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
- Isaac Asimov

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 12:43:26 PM »
  It must have been the SIG FILE link to generators....The thread does provoke thought though.

Offline MJWitt

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 10:04:55 AM »
Yes, I toowas enjoying the thread.  Now if we could only get all spammers to contribute as well as this one did! :)

Smurf Hunter had it right that we could have many discussions on all of the subtopics mentioned here (and many more!).  I love camping, and my 9 y/o daughter and I go at least once a month.  I commit to it and put it down on the calendar to block off, otherwise life creeps in.  Great chance to practice and test our preps, life skills, and teach them to the next generation.  The daughter loves fire building and starting with a striker/fire rod.  As we just moved into the rainy PNW we will have to up our game a bit.  ;)

Maybe we need a camping master thread with some children for gear, food, etc. discussion?  I'd be interested, although I suppose those could easily call under current threads, but we might lose the grouping.  Just a thought.

Headed out to a new campsite mid-October with a new tent.  Can't wait.