Author Topic: Paracord Projects: Post Them Here  (Read 160373 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: Paracord Projects: Post Them Here
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »
Archer beat me to it,  The doughnuts are very simple, just time consuming.  The links Archer posted will do a better job of explaining it than I will.  LOL

Thanks I usually keep a 25 foot doughnut on my key-chain, but I used it up and haven't picked up any more yet.  Surprisingly handy in that format, so easy to take off what you need without messing the whole thing up.
The 'Doughnut' is great for pulling off what you need and not ending up with a mess to re-coil.  However, if you want to have a fast way to deploy 6-25', go with the quick deploy method.

'Hard Core Link"
http://uniqueropecraft.blogspot.com/2011/09/unique-quick-deployment-lanyard-system.html

BBK 'Rip Cord' (retail product)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5HkrYdHG_A

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
The 'Doughnut' is great for pulling off what you need and not ending up with a mess to re-coil.  However, if you want to have a fast way to deploy 6-25', go with the quick deploy method.

'Hard Core Link"
http://uniqueropecraft.blogspot.com/2011/09/unique-quick-deployment-lanyard-system.html

Nice! thanks!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »
Nice! thanks!
No Problem... I didn't think to mention that I use the 3 peg.  2 'center pegs' with the pull loop on the 3rd peg.  It works, but I don't think it's as neat as some others...

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2012, 01:50:27 PM »
No Problem... I didn't think to mention that I use the 3 peg.  2 'center pegs' with the pull loop on the 3rd peg.  It works, but I don't think it's as neat as some others...
ah nice. i need to get more paracord to play with..

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2012, 02:14:59 PM »
Thanks Idelphic for another idea.  I think this looks great.

inbox485

« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2012, 03:33:35 AM »

'Hard Core Link"

The doughnut method is what was used in traditional Japanese rope tying (the name of the knot escapes me at the moment). The bundle would be anchored inside the sleeve, and the loop would be looped around the middle and index fingers. The loop would facilitate forming a series of slip knots (similar to knitting) that could be used to to tie up and / or strangle undesirables. The knot can be done using the thumb and pinky fingers for small cords or your feet for thicker cords.

Offline jtcweb

• Prepper
    • My 10 Acres
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
http://shopclassonline.com/2012/04/simple-jig-for-tying-a-paracord-rapid-deployment-bundle/

I was looking around the internet and youtube for a way to have a bundle or fob of paracord that will come apart quickly.  Check out my blog post for what I cam up with.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2012, 06:36:07 AM »
Thanks for the idea and post! +1

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »
Happened to be poking around on the Instructables site and found this:

Quick Release Paracord

It's a variant of the Paracord Donut.

Online Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2012, 05:38:40 AM »
That would be really useful for long sections of paracord that you keep in a bundle and use in their entirety.   Nice find Idelphic.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:39:42 PM by Docwatmo »

Online Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »
Last year my amazing wife started making me a paracord belt, using the "Infantry braid" style weave.  Turned out it was going to be too thick when it was done so I hung it in my office and didn't touch it for about a year.  Then I was doing some reorganizing and I ran across it.  Decided I wanted to use it for a shoulder strap to carry my SRK, a small FAK and maybe a water bottle.  Since there was about 20 feet of leftover paracord, I managed to tie it and create a loop for a shoulder strap.  Right now, it is tied into a loop, so I can either pass it through the belt to hold it down, or I can use a small carabiner to clip it to the belt to hold it in place.  I will be adding a clip or clasp of some kind so I can put it on the belt without removing the belt.   My SRK is just too big for belt carry, getting into and out of a vehicle is a pain with it. 

The Yellow FAK is just a cheapo bag I picked up for a couple bucks and filled with first aid supplies.  I am going to replace it with a Maxpedition Fatty pouch as soon as I can get my hands on one).

I was thinking of butchering an old belt to use the buckle and sew it into the  strap in place of the loop.  But would LOVE some ideas of ways to make it convienant to take on and off.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »
Don't know exactly what you are thinking of Doc but you mention a belt buckle and I like the way my Max bag has these large plastic buckles that snap open and closed. Amazon has some similar HERE - not sure if this helps you at all.  Blessings, TBM

Online Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2012, 05:19:30 PM »
WE must  be on the same Wavelength TBM, I was cleaning out my office and I found EXACTLY one of these same clips that my wife had bought for the belt project.  I'm dinking with it to see how to best attach it.   

I took my 2nd hike with it today and it worked great.  I actually slip the bottom loop under the hook on my holster on the front of the holster (Can slip it on and off one handed easily) and that worked great.  I did have some slippage on the sheath, but it's not bound in right now, just kind of riding.  Gonna weave a couple of small gear loops in it and that should solve my problem.

Thanks!!

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »
WE must  be on the same Wavelength TBM, I was cleaning out my office and I found EXACTLY one of these same clips that my wife had bought for the belt project.  I'm dinking with it to see how to best attach it.   

I took my 2nd hike with it today and it worked great.  I actually slip the bottom loop under the hook on my holster on the front of the holster (Can slip it on and off one handed easily) and that worked great.  I did have some slippage on the sheath, but it's not bound in right now, just kind of riding.  Gonna weave a couple of small gear loops in it and that should solve my problem.

Thanks!!

Of course we're on the same wavelength - we're goat loving mods of a feather.  Glad this is working out for you.

I've been trying to come up with some new ideas for paracord projects for Christmas gifts for hunting friends so anything different you know of would be appreciated.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2012, 05:21:29 AM »
TBM,

I was cruising through the topics to see if someone had already posted about homemade Christmas presents, and found this thread.  My goal was to promote the personal touch of gift giving this year.  In that regard, I'm going to be making rifle slings that are personalized for each person in my family (favorite colors, etc.).  When I came across this thread I was doubly amazed since my projects are going to be using a lot of paracord.  Although not all the slings I make are going to be the paracord type, I thought that maybe this will be the best thread to post my projects since it is already established (and a sticky post!).

If I need to start a new thread that's no problem, since my main point of the thread posting is to get back into hand making gifts for our loved ones instead of buying them cheap ChiCom crap from WallyWorld.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2012, 12:03:07 PM »
For anyone thinking about starting a new paracord project, SupplyCaptain.com is running a Cyber Week Sale right now.

CYBER WEEK SALE
10% OFF ALL ORDERS OVER $50
COUPON CODE:  CYBER
VALID THROUGH 11/30/12

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2012, 08:21:32 PM »
TBM,

I was cruising through the topics to see if someone had already posted about homemade Christmas presents, and found this thread.  My goal was to promote the personal touch of gift giving this year.  In that regard, I'm going to be making rifle slings that are personalized for each person in my family (favorite colors, etc.).  When I came across this thread I was doubly amazed since my projects are going to be using a lot of paracord.  Although not all the slings I make are going to be the paracord type, I thought that maybe this will be the best thread to post my projects since it is already established (and a sticky post!).

If I need to start a new thread that's no problem, since my main point of the thread posting is to get back into hand making gifts for our loved ones instead of buying them cheap ChiCom crap from WallyWorld.

I'm way late to this party.  Sorry I missed this post Flippy.  Did you make the slings?  Post some pics if you did.  I did paracord survival gifts last Christmas (photo on page 4 of this thread) so this year I cheated and we bought all the guys Life Straws for their packs. I've been wanting to make something for me to have in my max bag for just in case but haven't found just the right idea yet.  When I do I'll let you know.  Blessings TBM

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2012, 09:05:47 PM »
Really glad I found this post. I am getting ready to get a jig and start some paradise projects myself! Thanks for all the info and links guys!  ;D

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2012, 07:00:33 PM »
This is a cross of the Quick deploy fob and the doughnut.  I miss judged the finishing length, but it's pretty quick and easy to do.  Much more then putting 100' into a doughnut.

Pull the loop at the very bottom, and it'll just pull out 100' of cord.

Just have 5 more hanks to do.  My brother dropped 600' on me for Christmas.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2013, 01:09:34 AM »
This is a cross of the Quick deploy fob and the doughnut.  I miss judged the finishing length, but it's pretty quick and easy to do.  Much more then putting 100' into a doughnut.

Any link on the instructions for that? It looks like it would store a little more compact than a doughnut also.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2013, 09:49:57 AM »
Any link on the instructions for that? It looks like it would store a little more compact than a doughnut also.
Sorry Mike, I don't know of any right off hand.  But I will look.  I just took the primary parts of both systems and combined them.  I used the chair legs to do the cris cross looping, and then the loop weave from the doughnut.  I don't know about being more compact,..  but if it's looped to your pack, then it's less likely to catch on something since it's not a big loop.

Let me see if I can find something close...

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
I'm way late to this party.  Sorry I missed this post Flippy.  Did you make the slings?  Post some pics if you did.  I did paracord survival gifts last Christmas (photo on page 4 of this thread) so this year I cheated and we bought all the guys Life Straws for their packs. I've been wanting to make something for me to have in my max bag for just in case but haven't found just the right idea yet.  When I do I'll let you know.  Blessings TBM

I completed 4 CQB slings that are only minimally using paracord.  I can post pics of those, but they aren't my ideas.  The credit belongs to MainePrepper of Youtube fame.  His video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbUyIC3yE70

I don't want to hijack this thread, so if you're interested in the other slings, the thread is here:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=39194.msg441565#msg441565

I didn't get the paracord slings done because my box with the buckles and other hardware didn't show up until the day after I left to go home from Afghanistan.  So I guess they'll get "birthday slings"!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
Sorry Mike, I don't know of any right off hand.  But I will look.  I just took the primary parts of both systems and combined them.  I used the chair legs to do the cris cross looping, and then the loop weave from the doughnut.  I don't know about being more compact,..  but if it's looped to your pack, then it's less likely to catch on something since it's not a big loop.

Let me see if I can find something close...
Ok - here is a pretty good write up on how to wrap the coil.  Most of the paracord is wrapped in a crisscross manner over pegs or in my case, chair legs. Then follow this to finish it.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »
Ok - here is a pretty good write up on how to wrap the coil.  Most of the paracord is wrapped in a crisscross manner over pegs or in my case, chair legs. Then follow this to finish it.

excellent! thanks.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2013, 07:53:12 PM »
I completed 4 CQB slings that are only minimally using paracord.  I can post pics of those, but they aren't my ideas.  The credit belongs to MainePrepper of Youtube fame.  His video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbUyIC3yE70

I don't want to hijack this thread, so if you're interested in the other slings, the thread is here:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=39194.msg441565#msg441565

I didn't get the paracord slings done because my box with the buckles and other hardware didn't show up until the day after I left to go home from Afghanistan.  So I guess they'll get "birthday slings"!

Thanks for the links.  I may have to make one of these for the DH and see how it likes it - a Birthday one (too) since his birthday is Valentines day.  Shhh - hopefully he won't read this. 

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »
http://postimg.org/image/67mxm1ael/

My first try at a paracord bracelet, will be doing a watchband with that knot style in the near future (someone else did it a few pages ago).

EDIT: the img tag doesn't seem to be working for me, so I just linked it to a url.