Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Front Porch / Re: Intro Thread
« Last post by Lxndr2189 on Today at 12:50:03 PM »
Just would like to introduce myself to the community I love everything homesteading and the freedom it brings! Would love to connect with people and share ideas
Processing Food For Storage / Re: Lets talk about salt storage
« Last post by Redman on Today at 12:44:28 PM »
All that being said, I have an open box of Washing Soda and an open box of Boraxo in the house. Both went to seemingly unbreakable bricks very quick (faster than a cat can lick it's butt). Next time I make clothes soap I need to get a bucket and lid and use all ingredients completely. The mixed stuff in the garage is good to go always.
« Last post by Redman on Today at 12:25:40 PM »
Well Steve as you may remember here on the Gulf Coast I keep all my stuff inside in the A/C and it still clumps over time. I know the rice trick, don't use it. I don't however leave even table salt open, I have several of these containers for spices. Never had salt clump in them that I recall. Pretty sure the cardboard absorbs a lot of moisture also.

« Last post by Stwood on Today at 12:05:54 PM »
Lol.

Well whats strange is, we have a honey container we keep salt in (open) on the counter in the kitchen and it does fine.
But these cardboard pour containers that I have (7) in my storeroom, suddenly wet their pants.
But, I did have the a/c shut off in that room for a while now, maybe a month.
Yea, I keep my storeroom cooled, which also keeps my shop fairly cool.
Emergency Preparations / Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Last post by Knecht on Today at 12:05:12 PM »
Went to the forest with my wife to look for mushrooms. It's been too dry lately to expect any large mushroom harvest, but we found some after all. Diced some for stew and sliced the nicest ones for dehydrating. Also dehydrated some common blue plums eralier this week. Every day we pick couple handfuls of walnuts, it's a race between us and squirrels who finds them first. They are winning most of the time.
I've just finished an order of two long hand-forged chains today. Good practice in forge-welding, not so good earning, but certainly a good skill to have. Also finished some knife blades today, will make handles over the weekend.
« Last post by David in MN on Today at 11:56:28 AM »
Thats the whole point of my post David. Keeping the moisture out.
I don't water to store water in my salt containers.

You must have more humidity.. I keep salt next to the range in a Le Creuset salt cellar.

https://www.amazon.com/Creuset-Stoneware-10-Ounce-Crock-White/dp/B000P7Q2A0/ref=asc_df_B000P7Q2A0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167135614232&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1090202116012663038&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019570&hvtargid=pla-312931997404&psc=1

It's got no lid and I can leave salt in it months at a time with no issue. I have known restaurants to put rice in the salt shakers to soak up moisture and help the salt to flow. That's an old trick. If you really have moisture issues why not use a glass jar? I can't imagine a closed jar will have that much moisture. I've been to food production plants that leave salt bulk binned for 2 years with virtually no climate control.

Redman: Kirkland Ground Himilayan Pink Salt. Love it.

Haha Stwood, beat me to the punch. I was typing exactly your thouhts.
« Last post by Stwood on Today at 11:56:06 AM »
I don't want to store water in my salt containers.

Only way to edit my posts, is to quote myself.  :facepalm:
« Last post by Stwood on Today at 11:53:56 AM »
I buy the Augason #10 cans. Currently 8.88 at Walmart.
6-1/2# cans, so that's $1.37 ish per pound.
I'm finding that's actually a cheaper way to store than dealing with the 1#10oz? .50 cent containers and have them run water out of them in high moisture conditions.
I just transfered those containers of salt to glass jars, with a bag of rice in them to dry them out.
« Last post by Redman on Today at 10:49:10 AM »
I don't water to store water in my salt containers.

You'd likely have to seal it in bags with a dessicant seems. I have about 70 lbs. of sugar in two 5 gallon buckets w/gamma seal lids. It still clumps, not as quickly as it does sitting on the shelf in the original bag but.......

I got to check out that pink salt at Costco and I've been checking out those salt blocks periodically on Amazon. I want one, not in the budget.

Checked those 5 Lb. jars, $2.70/lb. Found this $1.58/lb. 12 lb. container.

https://www.costco.com/Olde-Thompson-Himalayan-Pink-Salt%2c-192-oz..product.100358395.html
Emergency Preparations / Re: What type of radiator shall I buy?
« Last post by Mr. Bill on Today at 10:35:22 AM »
...efficiency and running costs...

On that, I don't think you'll see much difference.  Any electric heating element is turning nearly 100% of its electrical power into heat.

We've got an oil-filled heater that we sometimes use in the bedroom when there's a north wind.  I like that no part of the unit gets extremely hot -- it would take unusual skill to accidentally start a fire with it.

Although it's a "radiator", I suspect most of the heat doesn't get radiated -- instead, it warms the air.  Which means a nice warm ceiling and a cold floor.  If I were relying on one of these for heat, I'd probably add a quiet fan running on low, to keep the air mixed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10