Author Topic: "Political Discussion" and "Tin Foil Hat Brigade" are now read-only  (Read 337 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Summary:  We're locking the political argument sections of the forum.  The Political News board will remain open (for members who have reached the required minimum postcount), along with the other five news-related boards.

Background:  Political argument has interfered with the primary purpose of The Survival Podcast Forum since day one.  Here are the guidelines that were posted less than 9 months after the forum began operation:

First and foremost, these forums are to be used as an adjunct to The Survival Podcast show that Jack conducts.

These boards are not primarily political debate boards, & the TSP forums are not primarily political forums.  Political discussion is a small part of what these forums are for.  Primarily we are a preparedness site, the forums are a place for new folks to come to glean information pertaining to modern survivalism.  These forums are not a venue for some to push their political agenda. ...

If you're visiting the TSP forums for reasons other than contributing to, learning from, or because of a general interest in modern survivalism then we recommend that you go elsewhere.  If you're here to primarily discuss politics or to push a specific political agenda, then we seriously recommend you seek your argument fix elsewhere. ...

For the past 8½ years, the moderators/admins have tried various forum tweaks and moderation styles to deal with this issue.  Many members became frustrated anyway, and departed.

But any semblance of balance broke down with the start of the 2016 US election campaigns.

Those of you who are heavily into political argument may not recognize that we have three factions on the forum: pro-Trump, anti-Trump, and the large majority of members who already get their RDA of political argument from daily life, and are here only for prepping.

Here's part of a PM I got recently from a member who was about to delete their account:

...I just finally got tired of seeing [some members behave like] trolls.  I keep political talk pretty much out of my life at home and at work and the spiral into a 24-hour site for political bickering here has been disheartening.

I ... went through your instructions for ignoring boards.  I ignored the political news and discussion boards.  I’ll see how that goes and ignore [some members] as a next step before I delete my account. ...

We have already lost quite a few members who felt similarly.  The forum's Ignore Boards feature has become inadequate, as politicization and personal head-butting have spilled over into other sections of the forum.

What we're doing:  The Political Discussion board is now locked for new posts.  We've also locked The Tin Foil Hat Brigade, because it has become a clone of Political Discussion except with less evidence for the claims made.

Both boards will remain readable for the next year by members with the minimum postcount.  Around January 2019 we'll remove both boards from the forum.

We still have six other news-related boards:
  • Political News - This is the place to share political news articles and information that is relevant to prepping.  Every post must contain one or more of the following:
    • A link to a news article.
    • A link to, or the text of, official government information (e.g. proposed or adopted legislation, regulations, executive orders, press releases, etc).
    • A link to original video and/or audio of a newsworthy event.
    • Personal observations of a newsworthy event.
    • A link to a separate topic (elsewhere on the forum) where the issue is being discussed.
    Posts may not contain any of the following:
    • Your personal comments or opinions.
    • Links to editorial or opinion pieces, or links to "news" articles that are partly news and mostly opinion.
    • Links to videos that are heavily edited to support a particular opinion.
    • Links/info about political rumors and theories that are not yet supported by convincing evidence.
    • Stories that are obviously fake, or originate from a satirical or fraudulent source.
    Access to this board is usually granted after you have made a minimum number of posts elsewhere on the forum.
  • Food Legislation & News - Any legislation that may be pending or that we need to know about should go here. Post your links to food issues in the news.
  • Firearms Legislation And News - Discuss current or upcoming laws and regulations. Also share news stories about firearms, such as armed citizens defending themselves.
  • Economic News, the Global Economy and all Things Monetary - Discuss the latest economic news, the Federal Reserve, etc. here.
  • Current Severe Emergency Situations - Severe weather, earthquakes, industrial accidents, active shooters, terrorist attacks, civil disturbances, and other current emergencies.
  • General News - For posting general news topics of interest to preppers, if they don't fit into any of the above specialized categories.

This decision was made after a great deal of moderator discussion.  We hope it will help to bring The Survival Podcast Forum back to its roots: a community of modern survivalists, helping each other to live the lives we want, if times get tough, or even if they don't.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:05:04 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Re: "Political Discussion" and "Tin Foil Hat Brigade" are now read-only
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 02:44:15 PM »
Update:

The Political Discussion board remains archived.  In its place is the new Political Sandbox board.  Please read About the Political Sandbox before participating.

The Tin Foil Hat Brigade has been re-opened.