Author Topic: Race issues: This is NOT a "whites only" forum!  (Read 99179 times)

Offline whatsda511

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Race issues: This is NOT a "whites only" forum!
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »
For what it's worth....

I am a young African American male who stumbled across the Survival Podcast a few months ago.  I would NEVER have learned a lot of the history, knowledge, perspectives, and values Jack talks about without it. My life might change forever because of it. I've already started with basic food storage and want to learn more about permaculture.  I think the world can be a much, much better place because everyone who will listen, can learn.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2015, 07:20:25 PM »
For what it's worth....

I am a young African American male who stumbled across the Survival Podcast a few months ago.  I would NEVER have learned a lot of the history, knowledge, perspectives, and values Jack talks about without it. My life might change forever because of it. I've already started with basic food storage and want to learn more about permaculture.  I think the world can be a much, much better place because everyone who will listen, can learn.

Nice first post - welcome!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2015, 08:08:19 PM »
For what it's worth....

Welcome and well said. A world where we find togetherness in getting our own houses in order rather than worrying about the affairs of others could be amazing.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #183 on: December 08, 2015, 06:38:51 PM »
Welcome whatsda511
Stayed up all night wondering where the sun went,
Then it dawned on me.....

Offline SittingElf

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2016, 05:05:00 AM »
It is indeed unfortunate that these idiots automatically assume that the words "Patriot", "Survivalist", "Prepper", "Conservative", and others are all in lock-step agreement with their hate-filled beliefs.

I see them show up on many forums, and in comment sections of big sites like Breitbart. 

Free Speech is one thing, but hate speech is another.  Damn glad to see this forum does not tolerate the latter!

Cheers

Offline Sonofcepha

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2016, 06:57:07 PM »
Can't stand all the racial uproar now. We all bleed red in the end. I don't care what color you are, if you've got my back... I've got yours!
The power of the human mind is only limited by itself. You never stop learning new things if you actively seek them.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2016, 07:10:26 PM »
I'm fortunate that I work for one of the most diverse employers in a very diverse area.

It's actually good for problem solving because everyone is coming from different backgrounds and can see things from different angles.

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2016, 09:42:52 PM »
Welcome whatsda511
Stayed up all night wondering where the sun went,
Then it dawned on me.....

Offline will slacker

• Prepper
« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2016, 05:07:07 AM »
It still boggles my mind that in 2016 racism is still around. Everything we have been through and that's still part of everyday life for a lot of people.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2016, 08:22:51 AM »
It still boggles my mind that in 2016 racism is still around. Everything we have been through and that's still part of everyday life for a lot of people.

Agree.

I know most of Jay's family still uses the N word (Jay doesn't), and when you call them on it, they say "I'm not racist.  I have black friends."

Where I work, it's very diverse, and it's not really even an issue most of the time.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2016, 08:40:30 AM »

If racism was really as common as the media makes it out to be,they would call it 'NORMAL'
I do not think it is as common as that though have encountered it quite often from the local black community as they are often the first to bring up color in conversation.
I grew older while an air force brat and so often relocated and found few problems as a child,so I can only surmise that RACISM is TAUGHT by parents and elders as so
it will be up to the elders to set the example to effect a cure.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline notmyrealname

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2016, 05:52:48 AM »
When I was growing up, I thought racism was over but that was until I met some very open racists.  It's really gross when you hear someone spouting off the N word or ranting about interracial relationships.  I've only experienced this twice.   It's out there, and very few people talk about it in public.  There is also racism in all directions. 

Unfortunately I don't think racism will die out like I used to think it would.  It's an easy tactic for people to use to blame problems on "the others". 

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2016, 07:52:27 AM »
There is also racism in all directions. 
I've been told multiple times by coworkers that this does not exist.

As far as I'm concerned, we are all members of the human race.  It's not the color of your skin that I care about, it's your character and actions.  The type of person that you are. 

A scumbag is a scumbag no matter what color they are.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2016, 08:12:41 AM »
If racism was really as common as the media makes it out to be,they would call it 'NORMAL'
I do not think it is as common as that though have encountered it quite often from the local black community as they are often the first to bring up color in conversation.
I grew older while an air force brat and so often relocated and found few problems as a child,so I can only surmise that RACISM is TAUGHT by parents and elders as so
it will be up to the elders to set the example to effect a cure.
The media does call it a normal occurrence at times.

Its worth noting it does not need to be common to be a problem (for example, mass shootings are exceedingly uncommon, however many we agree with advocate people being armed or getting medical training with this amongst the reasons).

It is absolutely up to elders.  We have to be sure to model proper behavior.  Politeness does not eliminate racism, it simply hides it.  Those who are prejudiced yet polite, their kids see them when their guard is down.  Even a kid who knows and thinks it wrong likely stands a chance of adopting the behavior or a variant of it later in life.  Sort of like abusive behavior. 

This does not mean you cannot have opinions on social issues, but one must be very precise.  To give an example with sexism, have you ever seen someone who disagrees with the actions of an individual but cannot avoid couching their displeasure in a way invoking their gender?  This piece of paper didnt get processed so they call the individual a "b*tch" or the like.  It mentally associates the individual's gender with their performance.  It is intellectual laziness.

Of course, there needs to be maturity on all sides.  A person has to be able to express legitimate concerns in a constructive way wtihout being accused of crypto-prejudice.  "You say the problem is a neighborhood culture of no snitching, that is just a veiled way of blaming black people."  That is not helpful, because then issues cannot be discussed.  This inevitably though, leads us to the problem that some people DO use factually correct and more precise terminology as substitutes when they really do want to ascribe issues as inherent traits of ethnic groups.

Ultimately, racism is a heuristic technique that allows people to place a simplified model of understanding on the world. They do it for all sorts of reasons.  Common ones include they were taught to, they dont want to take the time and effort to do otherwise, they dont have time to do otherwise, they are lazy, it is in their own self-interest (such as making them feel better about themselves without any effort), maybe just because they are *ssh*l*s.

I personally believe racism has declined because as the general quality of life of the world has allowed it.  Most do not work 18 hour days in the field on the slimmest margin between life and death, they have relatively more education and have been afforded more time to observe the world and finally media, travel and leisure time has given them more time to observe the world and realize it is more complex than some oversimplified models of humanity. They do not have to make a split second choice on the matter.

Unfortunately, this means that if forces, re-regionalize and localize the world, as people live closer to the edge (spending more time staying not dead and have less time to understand the world) and basically as people get into their own bubble (because of self-selecting media, not having media or simply not giving a damn about external information) racism and prejudice in general will grow again.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2016, 10:19:49 AM »
The media does call it a normal occurrence at times.

Its worth noting it does not need to be common to be a problem (for example, mass shootings are exceedingly uncommon, however many we agree with advocate people being armed or getting medical training with this amongst the reasons).

It is absolutely up to elders.  We have to be sure to model proper behavior.  Politeness does not eliminate racism, it simply hides it.  Those who are prejudiced yet polite, their kids see them when their guard is down.  Even a kid who knows and thinks it wrong likely stands a chance of adopting the behavior or a variant of it later in life.  Sort of like abusive behavior. 

This does not mean you cannot have opinions on social issues, but one must be very precise.  To give an example with sexism, have you ever seen someone who disagrees with the actions of an individual but cannot avoid couching their displeasure in a way invoking their gender?  This piece of paper didnt get processed so they call the individual a "b*tch" or the like.  It mentally associates the individual's gender with their performance.  It is intellectual laziness.

Of course, there needs to be maturity on all sides.  A person has to be able to express legitimate concerns in a constructive way wtihout being accused of crypto-prejudice.  "You say the problem is a neighborhood culture of no snitching, that is just a veiled way of blaming black people."  That is not helpful, because then issues cannot be discussed.  This inevitably though, leads us to the problem that some people DO use factually correct and more precise terminology as substitutes when they really do want to ascribe issues as inherent traits of ethnic groups.

Ultimately, racism is a heuristic technique that allows people to place a simplified model of understanding on the world. They do it for all sorts of reasons.  Common ones include they were taught to, they dont want to take the time and effort to do otherwise, they dont have time to do otherwise, they are lazy, it is in their own self-interest (such as making them feel better about themselves without any effort), maybe just because they are *ssh*l*s.

I personally believe racism has declined because as the general quality of life of the world has allowed it.  Most do not work 18 hour days in the field on the slimmest margin between life and death, they have relatively more education and have been afforded more time to observe the world and finally media, travel and leisure time has given them more time to observe the world and realize it is more complex than some oversimplified models of humanity. They do not have to make a split second choice on the matter.

Unfortunately, this means that if forces, re-regionalize and localize the world, as people live closer to the edge (spending more time staying not dead and have less time to understand the world) and basically as people get into their own bubble (because of self-selecting media, not having media or simply not giving a damn about external information) racism and prejudice in general will grow again.

Yep.  All of this.

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #195 on: November 15, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »
This is exactly why I'm returning to this Forum. It seems that 80 percent of the world thinks Survival is a synonym for Bigotry and Racism. On the other hand 80% of the world is Stupid.. Or they would all be Us  :D
Want proof that the worst Disasters all begin with man: Godzilla = 28, Tokyo = 0

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #196 on: November 15, 2016, 11:22:31 AM »
This is exactly why I'm returning to this Forum. It seems that 80 percent of the world thinks Survival is a synonym for Bigotry and Racism. On the other hand 80% of the world is Stupid.. Or they would all be Us  :D

I wonder sometimes as I know so many people who would have 'nothing ' to eat if they didn't pick it up on the way home.
I was never raised that way and keep enough stuff to care for my needs for a month and for many years in my BOL/Pantry.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline yellowjkjeep

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
HUA

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bashing the bush all over WA.
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2017, 06:12:06 PM »
If this was a whites only forum i wouldn't be here, i have zero fucks to waste on that level of stupid.

Police: Are you classified as human?
Korben Dallas: Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Commander Adama: There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
If this was a whites only forum i wouldn't be here, i have zero fucks to waste on that level of stupid.

Amen.

Offline Meadowlily

• Fledgling Prepper
  • From the clouds
    • Meadowlily Farm
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2017, 02:49:08 PM »
There is only one race: Human - We all bleed red!
Action is the foundation to all success
"Good work aint cheap & cheap work aint good" Sailor Jerry
Good things come to those who wait, but the best things come to those that do.

Offline JimNKC

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2017, 11:14:36 PM »
As a newbie here, I'm glad it's not whites only... while my birth parents were both of mainly Swedish extraction, my wife is Bolivian and we mainly speak Spanish at home and with our kids. Their English has grown in leaps and bounds this year in Pre-K, but I insisted on them first learning and speaking Spanish. Speaking two languages, even imperfectly, allows us to communicate with more people... it helps a ton in my job, and also to share the Gospel. :)

I don't usually think anything of it, but most of my friends are Hispanic, mainly from Central America and I am usually the lone guerro (white boy) at many of our fiestas/get togethers. With other good friends from Germany, India and Rwanda... skin color means very little. God made us in all sorts of colors.

Online Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #202 on: August 13, 2017, 05:03:25 PM »
Well said Jim.  :clap:

This place need a thumbs up thingy.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman