Author Topic: Is this normal for Billtong?  (Read 1177 times)

Offline gpewett

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Is this normal for Billtong?
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »
I used eye of round roast and followed Jack's recipe to make Billtong. After letting it cure under a ceiling fan for a week I tried it out and was very disappointed. It tastes like nothing, there is a light after taste of meet but other than that it's like eating really low quality unseasoned jerky and it is very difficult to cut. What am I doing wrong? I used organic coriander powder, fermented apple cider vinegar, fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bb0o1lJqDJsHVkID2

Offline Mintbird

• Survivor
  • Prepping since 2012
Re: Is this normal for Billtong?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:52:49 AM »
I haven't made biltong yet, but if I recall correctly, I believe you're supposed to cut the meat into strips first then after marinating hang the strips to dry. It appears from your photo that you marinated the whole roast.

Offline raginrick

• Prepper
  • Glad I Found TSP
    • allzombienews
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:59:43 AM »
You are correct. You have to cut the biltong into strips to let it dry. Should taste much better. Cut little strips and hang them with a bent paper clip or clothes pins.

Offline YukiSaru

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Learning to Live That Better Life
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 08:40:54 PM »
Hey all, this is my first post on the TSP forum, and I'm going to piggyback on the topic if I might;

Just tried making/eating biltong for the first time using both venison steak and eye-of-round beef. Followed the video Jack has, hung it to dry by a fan in an arid basement location for about 2 weeks (after about 5 days it all had a strong "not-quite-right" taste, so I let it hang longer in hopes of that drying out of the meat), and just had a slice off of one of the smaller pieces of beef... IT TASTES LIKE FISH!

I fear to try anymore, seeing as the initial taste after 5 days wasn't pleasant, and after 2 weeks it seriously has a "I'll take the tunaroll, please" fish flavor. Which, I'm pretty sure BEEF isn't supposed to have...

So, where'd I go wrong? Or AM I wrong, and that's just an underlying flavor of biltong that no one talks about...?

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 12:51:29 PM »
Fresh ground coriander will make a big difference as well. It is very inexpensive at Asian grocery stores.