Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Videos, Movies, TV, and Music / Re: Secrets of the SAS
« Last post by FreeLancer on Today at 03:44:57 PM »
Just watched the first two and it's excellent.

I've watched a few other similar SAS shows over the years (can't remember the names) and so far this one strikes me as the best, probably due to the level of introspection coming through during the interviews.
  YES,as SMURF said,it is a 'force multiplier' as it allows  the tuner a much wider margin of tuning so the tuner will handle a much more severe ratio of the mismatch between the antenna and the tuner/radio. It gives you FOUR TIMES as much mismatch capability than running without and helps keep RF from riding down the coax shield and re radiating in you shack or home to help keep from disturbing other electronics.

You need one for the quenching of interference so you may as well use one that helps the tune ratio also.

Just because it is most often used for Ham radio does not mean it is not a good thing for CB .I was heavy into CB ,even built my first radio in 1972 and enjoy the hobby today.
Every Day Carry (EDC) Gear / Re: Pistol safe for daily use
« Last post by theBINKYhunter on Today at 02:43:23 PM »
OK... probably will end up with that one then. I like the idea of being able to bolt it down to be an additional deterrent.
Medical Needs and First Aid / Re: Prepare by preventing Alzheimer's
« Last post by mountainmoma on Today at 01:10:59 PM »
Keeping away from added sugars and sugary drinks in and of itself will help us no matter which exact diet. I have been on a diet too, but it is a balanced macro's type diet. I have been using my fitness pal to track diet since July. I have very low sugar and what I do get is from a little carrot or other vegetables or milk in my tea. I think the protein recommends I am on are too high for in general, but I think the idea is that protein is harder to digest, so can eat more calories with higher amount of protein, and also that it assures that the weight loss will not be muscle loss. When I hit goal weight I will cut back protein ( right now I am eating 25% of calories as protein which is 84g, which is alot, I think 15% or in the 60something grams would be more than fine, and alot more than I was eating for the past many years). I absolutely eat carbs, but not juice or sugar or fruit. Legumes daily and whole grains, mainly wheat, milk in my tea, less grains than pre-diet, but I am inactive and on a diet, so it makes sense. Fats are mostly from whole foods: dairy products (homemade cheese,etc...), limited nuts or seeds, eggs, extremely limited olive oil ( to cook eggs sometimes, not daily) or butter -- way reduced added fats from previous pre-diet, but increased whole foods fats, like the homemade cheese, so 52g fat a day of mainly milk fats (cheese,butter) and some nuts.
Im getting off topic on my own topic here.
Carl, why is it with the 4 to 1 balun you were using 50 feet of cable on both ends?
I thought the concept of the balun was so you could use like 15 feet on one side and 60 feet on the other side of the dipole.
You know a 4:1 difference.

Does it have something to do with the coax?  OH I HAVE SO MUCH TO LEARN.

To the rest of the pack I would like to point out that poor Carl has not only answered many questions on here for me but also many PMs. So thank you Carl and everyone for your patience.

Kid

The 4:1 current balun allows for a greater range in impedance mismatch between the antenna and radio.

In theory a classic dipole has an impedance of 73ohms. 
With your transceiver at 50ohms, that's near enough to get along.

Baluns are transformers.  They literally go from the unbalanced coaxial feedline into the balanced dipole.

Here's some decent background on the topic I found on eHam
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,87953.0.html
« Last post by Chemsoldier on Today at 12:29:59 PM »
I've been leaning towards the Fort Knox for my bedroom. Can it be bolted down?

Yes there are four holes in the bottom that you can use to bolt it down.
« Last post by theBINKYhunter on Today at 12:21:25 PM »
I've been leaning towards the Fort Knox for my bedroom. Can it be bolted down?
Im getting off topic on my own topic here.
Carl, why is it with the 4 to 1 balun you were using 50 feet of cable on both ends?
I thought the concept of the balun was so you could use like 15 feet on one side and 60 feet on the other side of the dipole.
You know a 4:1 difference.

Does it have something to do with the coax?  OH I HAVE SO MUCH TO LEARN.

To the rest of the pack I would like to point out that poor Carl has not only answered many questions on here for me but also many PMs. So thank you Carl and everyone for your patience.

Kid
Investing and Saving / Article on Bitcoin and preppers
« Last post by Chemsoldier on Today at 11:52:55 AM »
 http://www.ibtimes.com/new-hampshire-libertarian-bitcoin-paradise-especially-preppers-2617392

Article on NH stores that take Bitcoin and growing acceptance of Bitcoin amongst preppers.

IBTimes is not the best regarded source out there, but allegations are mostly about click bait tendancies more than partisan slant.
  You can't drive your car down the highway with a dipole ......

The super antenna allows mobile or stationary use of 2 through 40 meters WITHOUT AN ANTENNA TUNER as the antenna itself can 'tune' and while 2 DB or so below a dipole ,it makes a good portable/stationary HF antenna that can be pretty effective and set up quickly as I don't use the thin titanium whip due to my not operating HF while in motion. I find the 7 foot tall antenna breaks down to a small 'pistol rug' sized case and is effective with minimal accessories such as mounts and counterpoise/ground plane wires.

For the cost though, one is better off in buying an LDG auto tuner and a balun ,and some coax ...as the tuner allows most any wire or metal to act as an antenna while protecting the radio and optimising the output. Wire is easy to find .If you call your LDG AT100 PRO part of your antenna at $184 and you find some wire for FREE ,or nearly so....you have a TUNER,an SWR METER, a WATTMETER ,an ANTENNA SWITCH all as part of this one item and a much more versatile and capable radio station that can take advantage on most any length of wire and some rope,sticks,or water bottles for insulators to make or improvise for your antenna.

JEFF,a Ham student who lives near me  and works for Global Strike Command , came by and we tested an antenna made from just such things as a 4 to 1 balun,water bottle insulators,and 50 feet of speaker wire (donated by another nearby student,AUSTIN) , we separated the pair of wires and made a quick 'dipole' of 50 feet per leg and placed it about 12 feet high at the feed point and tied the ends to a 4 foot tall fence and ,within,minutes ,had an antenna that worked all bands (except 10 meters ) and talked to several other countries with the embarrassingly low ,makeshift antenna...We would not be able to do this without the antenna tuner.

I suggest an automatic antenna matcher ,but several manual tuners do exist for under $100,if you don't mind not having a wattmeter/SWR meter,antenna switch.....see link to the 50 foot DOUBLET antenna...

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=61628.msg733854#msg733854

My review of the Super Antenna:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=58701.msg691328#msg691328

I want to step on my soapbox and add that in seeing all the Hams who want an antenna analyzer,if they would just take advantage of technology and instead just get a good antenna tuner with the SWR meter,Wattmeter,antenna switch and quit playing with antennas and spend more time OPERATING your radio in the safety and security that the antenna tuner provides...SWR is not an indicator of antenna effectiveness only how it matches to the radio...let a tuner work for you so you can spend more time working your radio. Few of the current day ,vertical,way too short.pieces of yard art can come close to what a tuner and some wire can ,and will do without paying HUNDREDS of dollars for undersized hardware....I have done these mistakes before and try to save you from the high cost of EDUCATION that there is no magic to antennas.

Just because I give advice freely does not mean it has no value,I paid dearly for what I have learned.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10