Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Emergency Preparations / Re: Survival Was Harder Than I Thought.
« Last post by RitaRose1945 on Today at 06:54:53 PM »
The importance (or not) of AC also depends on who is there.  If you have people who are elderly or otherwise medically fragile, it can actually be a medical necessity.

Where I live, we don't usually have the humidity of Florida (though our hottest part of the year IS smack dab in the middle of monsoon season that no one seems to understand we even have), the heat can quite literally kill.  And while it does cool off at night, the high can still be in the mid to upper 90s at night.  The walls and pavement and sidewalks and rock soak it up during the day and radiate the heat all night long.
The HAM Radio Board / Re: FT-8 digital mode is legit
« Last post by Alan Georges on Today at 06:32:14 PM »
Synchronization is a non-issue.  Since a PC or other device is required for these modes, you simply need to make sure your computer's clock is sync'd.
Even easier since my ubuntu laptop seems to have this as the default.  ;D  At least, it was spot on when I just checked it against WWV.

But if I need the net to sync my computer... well, you see the problem.  Digging around for a sync-off-of-WWV's-broadcast method.  Not a lot showing up, but will keep digging.  Will eventually get to FT-8, maybe in the slow days after Christmas at this rate.
Firearms Advice For Beginners / Re: Rifle Skills
« Last post by trekker111 on Today at 06:09:59 PM »
OK, that is a darn cool gun. I'm probably looking for something with a Monte Carlo type stock because it's my 'back to the basics I missed' project. I am actually leaning to something like the 10 FCP-SR or even the 11 Scout to start and then if I enjoy it move into the long range models. I kinda want to go slow and develop the skill. I'd love to shoot a .338 but it's baby steps at this point. Remember the vast majority of my shooting lately has been shotguns and the point quick and shoot close is detrimental to rifle skills. I gotta slow down and make good breaks.

I basically get 2 guns per year at cost. So there is room to grow. The employee pricing is awesome but not always available for new products.

I definitely wasn't suggesting a 338. Not a learning gun in any way, shape, or form. Also way to expensive for learning ($3 to $5 per round)
The HAM Radio Board / Ham Radio 360 hiatus
« Last post by Alan Georges on Today at 06:07:25 PM »
From our own SCW's site:
3+ years of creating content and full-on engagement has taken a toll on my balance of life so I’ve decided to step away, with a potential return in January 2018.  A big thanks to all who helped take a ‘joke’ and turn into ‘something’!
Hm, completely understandable.  Thanks for all of the podcasts so far, and may there be many more.  Just... a few months into the future.
« Last post by David in MN on Today at 05:51:54 PM »
I have my eye on the Savage hog hunter.  It's a model 10 with a medium barrel, threaded muzzle and iron sights.  Cheapish stock, but it retails for $500-600 in my area.  Heck of an action and barrel to build up from.
You can practice irons if that's of interest and of course mount any full power optic later.

Yeah, forgot that reco. It's an interesting blend of options and I am loving that barrel. OK, it's in the running.
Too late for now, but put up "no spray" signs and keep that space weedeatered

Cedar
I have been about 40 miles away and on a different tectonic plate from the 6.7 Northridge quake, and it was still the strongest I'd ever felt, even that far away.  And I spent the first 35 years of my life in serious earthquake country.

In case people don't understand how magnitude work, a 7.2 is not about 5% stronger than a 6.7 magnitude, it's about 3 times bigger with about 5 times the energy release.

I can't even imagine how bad the shaking must have been.
This article mentions that the power company had been using Glyphosate in southern Maine so that seems really bad.  It's unclear what they are using around here. It seems they had been using herbicides down the road a ways but this is the first time I noticed it on my property

http://mp.mainelymediallc.com/news/2015-05-22/Community/Voters_to_decide_on_herbicide_use_along_power_line.html#.WcGjkoUpCEc

The rest of my 11 acres it is all downhill from the road so any ground water from where the spraying is flows down onto my property
« Last post by Smurf Hunter on Today at 05:08:09 PM »
OK, that is a darn cool gun. I'm probably looking for something with a Monte Carlo type stock because it's my 'back to the basics I missed' project. I am actually leaning to something like the 10 FCP-SR or even the 11 Scout to start and then if I enjoy it move into the long range models. I kinda want to go slow and develop the skill. I'd love to shoot a .338 but it's baby steps at this point. Remember the vast majority of my shooting lately has been shotguns and the point quick and shoot close is detrimental to rifle skills. I gotta slow down and make good breaks.

I basically get 2 guns per year at cost. So there is room to grow. The employee pricing is awesome but not always available for new products.

I have my eye on the Savage hog hunter.  It's a model 10 with a medium barrel, threaded muzzle and iron sights.  Cheapish stock, but it retails for $500-600 in my area.  Heck of an action and barrel to build up from.
You can practice irons if that's of interest and of course mount any full power optic later.
Current Severe Emergency Situations / Re: Hurricane Maria
« Last post by Cedar on Today at 05:01:06 PM »
I found a good live stream with sound, 3 chasers in Puerto Rico.

https://livestormchasing.com/map

That is one of my fav sites when I have a real computer.

Cedar
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10