Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Money Board / Crypto Hardware Wallets
« Last post by scottwold on Today at 04:01:26 PM »
Looking to get a Ledger Nanon S or Trezor.  Used to store Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin.  Anyone have any experience with either of these?
The HAM Radio Board / Re: Packet Radio Q&A
« Last post by Smurf Hunter on Today at 02:33:07 PM »
I have more experience with #2 so I'll start there.

In that context, you are using a KISS TNC (keep it simple silly).  There's not any brains beyond translating the RX audio into ASCII text and vice versa sending text over air as audio.
For applications like APRS and VHF Packet winlink, KISS is perfect.

In the olden days of packet, a TNC did much more.  They were almost mini-servers in a way. If you are familiar with dial-up modem BBS (bulletin board system) TNCs could actually store basic mail messages locally on the hardware. Think of it as a public bulletin board where people left notes for others. Additionally a full featured hardware TNC understood who it could talk to, and you could configure "routes".  e.g. Station A seeks contact with station D, and the TNC knows to forward A->B->C->D

In the above context, a "node" and "digipeater" attempted to solve the same problem of bridging the distance of out of range stations, but with many stations, digipeaters were inefficient. 3 people repeating everything is a little annoying, but 300 is chaos.

I recently got this AEA PK-232 TNC, and there's a decent explanation in the manual about how this came to be:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/aea/pk232/pk232mbx-operating-manual.pdf

See section 4.3.3.3

I hope others join in with more comments.
Food Preps / Re: Is this normal for Billtong?
« Last post by atherts on Today at 12:51:29 PM »
Fresh ground coriander will make a big difference as well. It is very inexpensive at Asian grocery stores.
Emergency Preparations / Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Last post by Redman on Today at 10:03:17 AM »
Just heavy rain and a little bit cooler for us.
« Last post by Stwood on Today at 09:27:04 AM »
Need to make sure the gen will fire today. Temp is dropping and they are forecasting ice tonight.
The HAM Radio Board / Packet Radio Q&A
« Last post by SCWolverine on Today at 08:03:12 AM »
I (and other local hams) have some Packet Radio Questions. There are some that are more pressing than others and I'll ask them first:

1. Nodes vs. Digipeaters:

I understand the difference between the two.

I do not understand how to set up my TNC's (Kantronics KPC3 and /or TNC-x) to specifically act as either of the two.

My preference (for both units) is to establish them as Nodes to help build-out the local Packet Network.

In my searching, I cannot locate a clear path of direction for the settings needed to activate the above listed TNC's as a "Node".

2. SoundCard Packet

I'm having success with Sound Modem and EZ Term from UZ7HO for simple point to point packet operations (with my Signalink USB).

Again, I have a 'Node' question. I keep "hearing", but can't find, that a SoundCard Packet Modem cannot be used as a 'Node' in the Network. Any ideas if that's right or wrong-or how to make it happen?

I'm open to any and all additional Packet Radio Discussion too. Thanks!
« Last post by Redman on Today at 07:58:10 AM »
I have the last of my stored sweet potatoes in the canner now. 12 pints, didn't think I'd get that many as I used some another way and had to throw out several. Probably could have gotten 14 pints but I ran out of syrup and didn't want to use water. We'll eat the rest over the next few days.
The current gun laws would do just fine if:

1 Departments shared information and cooperated with each other

2 Departments followed up on leads concerning individuals

3 Schools or their representatives would stop pushing DRUGS as a means of controlling kids,and report the kids on drugs to monitor gun purchases

4 If law enforcement was an ACTION rather than a name

5 People became more aware of their surroundings and parents raised their children rather than expecting schools to do the job
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10