Author Topic: Study claims exercise does not help with weight loss  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Study claims exercise does not help with weight loss
« on: April 24, 2015, 08:47:23 AM »
http://mashable.com/2015/04/23/obesity-exercise-uk-study/

While acknowledging the important health effects of exercise, the study says that it did not find exercise assisted in weight loss.

Nothing too earth shattering here.  Exercise is great but it isnt enough to overcome a poor diet when it comes to weight loss.

Weaknesses I have seen with it is 1) duh, thinking people know this.  2) body composition change is often seen by folks as more important than simple weight loss.  If this convinces people that diet is important, great.  But if people are too simple minded to do both diet AND exercise than it is counterproductive since they are also out of shape.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Re: Study claims exercise does not help with weight loss
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 07:11:37 PM »
Diet has always had much more impact on weight (and general health) than exercise, but I still see people doing "chronic cardio" so they can eat whatever they want.  It's crazy.  You need to eat well and move.

endurance

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 07:15:08 PM »
I hate to quote Richard Simmons, but if you exercise and don't diet, you'll be a strong fat person. If you diet and don't exercise, you'll flap in the wind.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:58:41 AM »
These study results directly contrast my personal results.

Lost plenty of weight when I took up running in the mornings.  Close to 60#.  Then I plataued as I started converting fat weight to muscle weight.

Lost more (fat) weight when I modified diet.  Moderate caloric restriction, and management of macronutrient intake for the most part.  Strict caloric cuts when I was cutting weight within a certain timeframe.

Lost even more when I added resistance training and stepped up the frequency and intensity of my workouts.  Boxing routines are an amazing workout people.

It's not really an either/or situation.  It takes more than just diet or just exercise or just supplements to achieve drastic results.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:18:49 AM by PistolWhipped »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
There are many factors, diet is important. I would not say exercise has no effect

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 01:42:39 AM »
I feel it is true that people probably focus too much on exercise and not enough on diet or eating less. If you have time off or are relaxed and not busy, it can be easier to eat less. When you are working or under stress, eating less can be difficult. Eating right is also important. Some types of exercise have negative side effects. Jogging on pavement I feel can be bad for the knees. A certain amount of exercise is good, but too much could also be tough on the body. I feel exercise should be fun and enjoyable, you should not be out to prove anything or strain yourself. I like to go for relaxing walks and reflect or think. I am not working up a sweat or doing power walks, though if I have to climb a hill I may sweat a bit. All the power walks can seem unnatural or rushed like you would be in a big hurry to get it done. 

Offline texmex

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Ministry Podcast
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 03:50:10 PM »
There are many factors, diet is important. I would not say exercise has no effect
Totally agree. It also depends on the individual metabolism. I have lost 15-20lbs on diet alone without exercise and then on top of that began to exercise and lost an additional 20. My body seems ready to lose 10lbs by not eating garbage, but after that I have to eat the right foods or I just plateau. Then after about 20lbs I plateau again if I don't add exercise. I can't tell you exactly why, but I have had these repeated results over the last 6 years.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:36:11 PM »
A lot of people will wind up eating more calories to compensate for feeling hungry more often due to the higher energy expenditure.  This leads to a lack of weight loss, of course.

One thing that exercise can help you do, though, is build up your general cardio-vascular endurance.   Many people I've talked to who have tried loosing weight present one of the big challenges as the fact that they get sick so much more often when following calloric restrictions.  Also, when people diet and do cardio at the same time, it's far far to easy to either drop everything completely as 'meh' or over-do things and make yourself sick, neither one of which helps.

I'm currently working on moving more, and getting my kitchen cleaned up so that I can cook for myself more often, combined with vitamin supplements to help with cravings.  I definitely intend to add diet back in, but I have to sort things out so that I wind up adding diet in a way that I an personally sustain.

Offline osubuckeye4

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Hello.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »
I somewhat agree,

Exercise doesn't help much with weight loss if you're already a generally healthy person that moves about on a daily basis.

However, if you sit behind a desk 10-12 hours a day and a TV 4-5 hours though... light exercise (even just walking) will help kick start your metabolism and help you burn more fat.

I think where the hiccups occur, is how one defines "exercise". If we're talking wind sprints and Olympic style lifting... I agree. It helps with body composition and cardiovascular performance, but, it doesn't do much for weight loss.

If we're talking about a sedentary person deciding to walk/move about for an hour or two a day, it can help a lot.