Author Topic: Looking for PHOTOBUCKET,third party photo host that dosn't cost $100 year  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
  Says it all now that PhotoSucket wants $100 a year o allow third party photo hosting and I refuse to take it. I have found my links to photos on my GOOGLE photos will work...though not automatically. Any other FREE suggestions?
I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
Photobucket just killed themselves.
People are leaving in droves.
With services like Google Drive, Onedrive and Dropbox offering 15 gigs, 5 gigs, and 2 gigs respectively, Photobucket will soon find themselves without users.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
Photobucket just killed themselves.
People are leaving in droves.
With services like Google Drive, Onedrive and Dropbox offering 15 gigs, 5 gigs, and 2 gigs respectively, Photobucket will soon find themselves without users.

I wouldn't even mind paying $2.49 a month for photo hosting ,for the convenience,but NO...they want you to spend major bucks to get that and that makes them number one with a finger raised in my opinion.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
I use flickr. It's not free, but not expensive, and they do have a free tier. This is my preferred solution for anything that I want to be around for the long haul, like my own photographs, images for blog articles and forum posts, etc.

Here are some alternatives.
http://lifehacker.com/5808625/five-best-web-sites-for-image-hosting-and-photo-sharing/
https://imgbb.com/
https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hosting-sites-3486329
Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
I use flickr. It's not free, but not expensive, and they do have a free tier. This is my preferred solution for anything that I want to be around for the long haul, like my own photographs, images for blog articles and forum posts, etc.

Here are some alternatives.
http://lifehacker.com/5808625/five-best-web-sites-for-image-hosting-and-photo-sharing/
https://imgbb.com/
https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hosting-sites-3486329

Thanks,I will look into these. +1

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
I need something also. Photobucket told me they wanted 400 bucks a year.  :o
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
i am tired of seeing those damn photobucket adds... wonder if i should block them at the forum level..

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
The photobucket ads are annoying archer,
And I am am using the free flicker account right now until I have my website back off private, which is usually where I have my photo links.

Cedar

"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
hmm, i wonder how much space it would take to host photos for tsp on our own server.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
hmm, i wonder how much space it would take to host photos for tsp on our own server.

I would recommend that you look into s3 as well. It might be a better/cheaper option. There should be a plugin for it, it's dirt cheap, and highly reliable. I can assist if you want to look into that path as I have extensive experience with it and AWS in general.
-D

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
I would recommend that you look into s3 as well. It might be a better/cheaper option. There should be a plugin for it, it's dirt cheap, and highly reliable. I can assist if you want to look into that path as I have extensive experience with it and AWS in general.
-D

I am looking at the Google photos and paying for extra storage on my Google Drive...I archive everything and the Google drive will be good backup and great for file sharing.. A 100 Gig Google Druive upgrade costs $20 per year and is very secure .

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
I need to get my sig pictures of of photobucket and moved to imgur.

I've been using imgur for years and they are great. Free and a great UI.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
I am looking at the Google photos and paying for extra storage on my Google Drive...I archive everything and the Google drive will be good backup and great for file sharing.. A 100 Gig Google Druive upgrade costs $20 per year and is very secure .

S3 is more for the forum, not individuals... though you could use it for your own stuff if you were slightly masochistic or technically inclined... lol 
S3 pricing - $0.023 per GB per month + $0.005 pr 1k requests (basically a view) + $0.090 per GB data xfer out.

Our s3 bill is only around $50 a month, and we host several TB of data for both websites and applications there with a few hundred thousand users access the web portions. It's a fantastic service, just complicated to set up for end user use.

~Winston Churchill

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
S3 is more for the forum, not individuals... though you could use it for your own stuff if you were slightly masochistic or technically inclined... lol 
S3 pricing - $0.023 per GB per month + $0.005 pr 1k requests (basically a view) + $0.090 per GB data xfer out.

Our s3 bill is only around $50 a month, and we host several TB of data for both websites and applications there with a few hundred thousand users access the web portions. It's a fantastic service, just complicated to set up for end user use.

Cool if the forum could host photos....

Online AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
Cool if the forum could host photos....

Here's another vote for that (if it's feasible cost-wise of course :)).

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
(Takes of moderator shirt)

I'm of the opinion that the forum shouldn't host. Personally I like using a third party service of my choosing and linking there. That way I can keep my pictures where I want and easily share on a variety of forums/sites. I realize I can still do that even if the forum does decide to host, but I think it's uneeded with all of the image hosting options that are out there.

((Puts on moderator shirt) Sorry for blinding everyone))

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran

I'm of the opinion that the forum shouldn't host. Personally I like using a third party service of my choosing and linking there. That way I can keep my pictures where I want and easily share on a variety of forums/sites. I realize I can still do that even if the forum does decide to host, but I think it's uneeded with all of the image hosting options that are out there.

It is you... :jaw-drop:  the cape must itch under your 'normal' shirt    :-X

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
I also prefer to use third party hosting as I often use things across multiple sites.  But as long as the forum doesn't ban external links, I am all for allowing uploading to the forum itself.

Carl, what do you use for email and data storage?  You might consider getting a host website where you control the data storage, email, and photo hosting.  But I don't like corporations like google reading through my emails or cloud storage companies holding the keys to the data encryption.  To me it is worth paying $10 a month to control the keys to the kingdom.  There are a lot of good primary and reseller companies with proven systems.  I currently like domainspricedright: https://www.secureserver.net/hosting/web-hosting_4.aspx?ci=83725&prog_id=domainspricedright.  If one of them gets out of hand, I can move my files to another and simply point the domain name I have registered to it.  This means I am never at risk of losing all my posted images or having a company try to hold my stuff hostage.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
Google Chrome  or just GMAIL allows for 15 Gig of email/file storage and sharing/photo storage and sharing plus for $20 a year you get 100 Gig to use the same way.You don't need to have Chrome to have Gmail...but I think it integrates easier.A machine is all that watches emails to target ocasional small advertisements and I have not found it intrusive after many years also even my local DA's office finds it meets their security needs.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel

Normally, websites will copy the images that are sent to them to maintain accuracy of content and to prevent other issues associated with hotlinking. Meaning that if I have a blog and I want it to always work and look correctly, I will upload the image to that site to ensure it is always there, that it's hosted via a solid provider, and that noone can change it on me. Hotlinking allows things like the issue we're seeing now, where a host has swapped it all out. Now the forum looks a mess, all because someone else changed something. I've used plenty of CRM and blogging systems that will actually cache external links like that just to prevent this issue.
I do think it's worth considering here. I've lost count of how many forums I've visited that save money by forcing hotlinking and then look awful when a user removes their content or is deactivated, or or...

~Winston Churchill