Author Topic: Finally got back to training after a couple years of nothing, I'm wrecked.  (Read 927 times)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Tonight was tough. My cardio is worse than I thought, I lost most of my flexibility, and I'm way out of shape. Felt good to get back on a thai bag though. When class was over my whole body hurt, and my left leg was nearing muscle failure every time I had to clutch on the way home. Odd part is, overall I feel better than I have in a long time.  ;D I missed it more than I thought.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Getting back in the saddle is always tough, but like you said, you feel better overall and find that you missed it.  I'm struggling to get back on my running and biking after a couple months of rain, and man it's hard after that little bit.  Hats off to getting back in there after a couple of years away.  Worth... every.. damned... aspirin... of the grind to get back in there.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
  Just look at all the opportunity you have to improve.... :)
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
I knew I was way out of shape, but this is brutal. I can't even walk correctly. The only parts of me that don't hurt are my forearms and calves. Aspirin doesn't help me a bit, ever. I'm hoping that skipping class tonight and doing some stretching/light exercise over the weekend will help me loosen back up. I'll hit the gym again monday night to abuse my body some more.  ;D Also found out I can throw a pretty good middle or low kick with my arms behind my back, or only one arm(left or right). Pretty interesting drills he had us doing.

Carl, that's exactly how I look at it. My technique/form has fared somewhat better than my physical condition, but still needs work. Gotta put in the hours and reps now. The building coach is using temporarily has bags, so it's way easier. The place he was in when I last went had no bags at all...which is one of the biggest reasons I quit going.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
overall I feel better than I have in a long time

Probably because you feel relaxed after exercising ..

Constant heavy exercise is a lot of work. I think there is evidence that if you work out too much you may actually shorten your life span or cause stress injuries such as joggers knee problems etc, although you may be strong in the meantime up until then.

I tend to think moderate exercise is easier to maintain and is less time consuming. I have had a number of injuries over the last few summers but this summer I have been doing a bit more. This week I either walked for 45 minutes every day or rode my bike for 45 minutes or both. Sometimes doubling up in a day is good. On the weekend I try to hike for at least and hour and a half or a bit over 2 hours.

Surfing has been the best heavier type of workout.

The winter is the most challenging but I try to do some kung fu at a local place and stay as active as I can outdoors.

If my knees or feet are sore I try to take extra vitamins and supplements of all kinds.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  I would think winter surfing would be a challenge...

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
  I would think winter surfing would be a challenge...

I don't surf in the winter anymore but spring and fall tends to be more ideal as far as temperature and wave size. Further south such as North Carolina is warm enough for comfortable winter surfing. I do some snowshoeing, cutting wood in the winter. If I have a long term contract going I would like sometime to go to the tropics for 10 days of surfing. Often we go to my sisters in Idaho for Christmas and I only take 1 vacation per season so I have skied, snowboarded or snowshoed out there. Sking and snowboarding does not compare to surfing for exercise but family, socializing etc takes priority