Author Topic: gardening in 10a  (Read 457 times)

Offline chesco_rich61

• Prepper
  • It is what it is.
gardening in 10a
« on: August 27, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
I will be moving to Florida zone 10a Ft Myers and wanted to know any tips of tricks for gardening what produces well and what won't any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
Re: gardening in 10a
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 03:13:33 PM »
I will be moving to Florida zone 10a Ft Myers and wanted to know any tips of tricks for gardening what produces well and what won't any help would be greatly appreciated

No true experience there, but Jack talks a lot about Texas and there being a spring and fall growing season and the summer being so hot, a lot of things are hard to keep alive.  A lot of 'Retirement' properties are very very strict on having a garden at all and very very strict on HOA rules.  If possible, live outside one of those if you want any freedom or don't want retired neighbors trolling the neighborhood looking for violations.

10a allows a lot of tropical trees and fruits.  Citrus, etc.  Also, bananas and pineapples if you want huge trees. (there are dwarf banana trees though.)

Some things are prohibited to be shipped to Florida so you have to be wary of that when reading catalogues.

Also, Peppers are popular, hot peppers truly.  The more stressed out the plant, the hotter the fruit.  Also, peppers will last for a good three years if they don't see a frost and keep producing in the right weather so don't pull them up in the fall.

Forget the grass you are used to. The stuff they call grass down there is not very pleasant to walk through in your bare feet.

Irrigation is your friend.  If you are allowed to catch rainwater off of your roof, that is good.  Some places, the hotter/drier the worse the regulations, make it illegal to catch rain water and deem all water that falls on all land to be the property of the government.  Check your local and state laws.  Also, check in with your local extension agent, they may know the rules and will also know what is good to grow in 10a.

Also, look for gardening clubs.  A lot of people who are retired form clubs of all types.  However, gardening to a lot of people mean flowers, not vegetables, so look before you leap.

Also, apples and such are likely out since they require a high number if chilling hours (something like 400 hours between 33 and 55 degrees).  However, there are a few adapted to the south but I don't know the variety.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Jerseyboy

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »
I'm going to second what jerseyboy said about growing peppers, they do well in hot climates and are fairly resistant to bugs.  Do you like okra?  If so, that does well in the heat too.  Another thing that works well is cherry tomatoes.  If a bug or a bird pecks one, oh well, no big deal, it's just one of many and the rest are still ok.  But if you're trying to grow any of the larger varieties, something will take a chomp out of it as it ripens, ruining a big chunk of produce.

Look at planting some kind of citrus.  Depending on the area, it can almost turn out to be a "free food tree" that takes next to no maintenance once it gets going.  Check with local nurseries about problems with citrus greening (a type of blight) before going too far with that though.  It's moving into a lot of areas and messing up what was previously a good thing.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 11:56:25 AM »
My granny used to live in Biloxi, MS.  Similar, but different too.  I had many fond memories racing the birds to some ripe figs.  Fresh figs are simply awesome!  Not much quite like a fresh ripe fig...  She always grew tomatoes, peppers, black eyed peas and sweat potato. 
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
- Isaac Asimov

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 06:13:06 PM »
I'm in the desert southwest, so USDA zone 9 (based on how cold it gets) or Sunset zone 11 (based on how hot it gets).

Some things grow really well that surprise me, while others I thought would thrive end up keeling over in June.  For instance, right now I have corn that couldn't handle a week without being watered back in June.  On the other hand, I've got a blackberry plant that I assumed wouldn't last at all, and it may not be old enough to fruit, but it has made it through a really hot August and is a nice healthy looking green.

If you container garden, resign yourself to the fact that you have to water more often.  If you don't, resign yourself to the fact that you'll have to throw up some kind of partial shade in the summer months or just let the garden go at that point.  Since mine are in containers (I rent and the soil here is caliche), I can move them under an otherwise worthless "tree" that volunteered many years ago and then back out into the sun when it starts to get cold.

What grows well for you will also have a lot to do with the soil and micro-climate as well as the general climate.  So if you're growing in a clay soil garden on the south side of a house, it's going to be completely different than if you're growing in sandy soil on the north side, and both of those will be different from container gardening.

Offline chesco_rich61

• Prepper
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 04:57:17 PM »
thanks for your input everyone now if this hurricane doesn't ruin my move I'll let you all know how it turns out