Author Topic: Natural fence/border in city  (Read 867 times)

Offline sandy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Natural fence/border in city
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
Hi All,
I don't post often, but I certainly enjoy reading and appreciate everyone's feedback. 

We will be purchasing approx. 1/3 acre in the middle of Los Angeles.  We would like to have some kind of fence/border between us and our neighbors.  Currently there is a chain link fence, so there is very little privacy.  We would like some privacy, but cannot afford to put in a new fence around the entire perimeter, aside from cost we also want to do something that is in tune with the permaculture philosphies and if possible something that is also pretty :).

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Thank you!

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
Re: Natural fence/border in city
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »
Jack did a show earlier this year on "food hedges" that might give you some ideas.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/plants-for-food-hedges-fedges

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Natural fence/border in city
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
If you're going to keep the chain-link fence, and the neighbors don't mind, you could plant some climbing vines on it.  Something like kiwi or passion fruit would probably do well in your climate, and both will fill in a chain-link fence line faster than you'd think.  Passion fruit vines have unbelievably gorgeous flowers, tasty fruit, grow ridiculously fast (they can be invasive, so watch that), attract bees and other pollinators, and in some varieties, the leaves have medicinal uses.