Author Topic: 40+ apple and fruit trees. What the heck can I do with these?  (Read 29326 times)

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: 40+ apple and fruit trees. What the heck can I do with these?
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2010, 04:43:47 AM »
Interesting post, thanks for the info.

In mother earth news I read that putting paper bags over the apples as they grow will prevent bugs from getting at them.  I've also heard that nylon stockings will do the same.

I've also read that putting a thick coat of vaseline around the trunks will help prevent bugs but I bet that soap and water mix he recommends will help as well.

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2010, 05:59:11 AM »
Ladieau, if you want to be "scientific" about record keeping, give all your trees a number.  Mark the trees with a tag with their ID and make a map.  Then, take a daily walk and make observations about bloom time, fruit set, etc.  Always bring your pruning shears on your walk so you can snip off water sprouts.  Anything growing straight up is a water sprout, and you don't have to wait until the tree is dormant.  When trees are pruned heavily, they will do a lot of water sprouts.

Keeping records will help you and your orchard guy figure out what cultivars these are.  Oh, and pictures are always good.  You don't have to do this, of course.  But the first rule of permaculture is observe and interact.  So just keep hanging out in there. 

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2010, 01:17:14 PM »
Not much to report

Lots of buds. I have started the tedious process of hand thinning them. You can use a chemical thinner of course, but I am doing this organic.

Offline Crispy Critter

• Survivor
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2010, 01:26:27 PM »
 :o

Ab-so-lute-ly Amazing Transformation!

No wonder you (I assume that is you, ladieu, in the pic) are grinning from ear to ear!

+1 for your hard work and budding future (yes, the pun is intended  ::) , I'm bad like that).

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »
Ok so I am new to TSP. I bought some land, 2 acres, a few years ago. On this land I have around 40 apple trees, 2 peach trees, 1 walnut tree, 1 HUGE chestnut tree, and 2 pear trees. 

YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY BABY!

Not much to report

Lots of buds. I have started the tedious process of hand thinning them. You can use a chemical thinner of course, but I am doing this organic.

I remember that first post and how overwhelmed you felt and how blessed I thought you were and look at you now.  Amazing!  +1 for a great transformation and awesome "ant" thinking.  Blessings TBM

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2010, 11:00:52 AM »
I am doing further follow-ups to this thread in the "show us your garden" forum as it is a more appropriate location for showcasing personal projects

-> http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=18131.msg201393

Offline MyBookie

• Survivor
    • The Left is as Bad as the Right
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2010, 12:51:49 AM »
You have done a great job.  This would have been a good place to point you if you hadn't already solved your problem:

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/trees/renovating.htm

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2010, 07:44:12 AM »
Thanks man! I'm eating apple pies, making a cider press, thinking of making some butter... I'm swimming in apples!

The pears are getting really huge too, won't be too long now

Offline MyBookie

• Survivor
    • The Left is as Bad as the Right
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2010, 11:19:42 AM »
I'm so glad you didn't solve this "problem" with a chain saw.  Here is a great PDF about fruit trees (mostly about new ones bought at the nursery)

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/forms/ft32guide.pdf

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2010, 03:21:05 PM »
You could use the fruit to make fuel alcohol.  Perhaps you could make those trees keep your vehicle running.  Maybe even fuel a generator for your home.  Just a thought.

Offline Oakie

• Prepper
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »

Wow, thanks for sharing the info.  I will be planting a few apple trees soon I hope, among many other things.  I have some old pecan trees I'm working with and peach trees I hope will do better now that I've acquired geese to fertilize them.
Looking at a Walnut tree guild I see mulberry and elaeagnus can be used to protect neighboring plants from it's toxins.  You may have enough space for that to be no concern but did you mention food forests?

Thanks also to MyBookie for the links.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »
Hey i have a few mulberry trees. I enjoyed some nice mulberry syrup on my pancakes this spring. Yummy!

I wan to do the food forest thing... however the south facing side of my main orchard is in the neighbors yard.

Really I don't understand practical application of Permaculture either so that is another issue.

-Nick

Offline Oakie

• Prepper
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2010, 09:38:07 AM »
Nick, I don't think you need much room at all to guild an apple tree.
All the companion plants seem to be directly under the tree.  The example I'm looking at in Toby Hemenways "Gaia's Garden" shows a thickly planted ring of grass suppressing daffodils just under the drip line (outer leaves) circling the tree.  Within that circle are plants described as insectary plants (dill, fennel, bee balm) Nutrient accumulators (yarrow, chicory, plantian) mulch plants (comfrey, artichoke) and another inner circle of grass-suppressing bulbs (daffodils, camas, garlic chives).
They each perform a function.  Without the proper grouping you have to do all the work of spraying for disease, watering, fertilizing and perhaps even importing bee hives.
He lists the 3 main plants; walnuts, hackberries, and currants for a walnut guild.  Then building on that with chile peppers, wolfberry, mulberry, tomatos, possibly lagumes, russian olives.  I see that that grouping spreads well outside the dripline but could be cut close on the south side I'm sure.
Jack explained recently how to add .pdf to the end of a search to bring up files and I've found a wealth of info doing so.  One source I've found online is: http://www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org/PDC_ALL.pdf

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2010, 10:43:20 AM »
That gaia's garden seems to be a book worth investing in. Thanks for the thoughtful response.

I'll be looking to pick this book up.   Right now my sour varieties do well, and the pears do well, however the sweeter apples (red skinned) get destroyed by bugs. This is fine for cider, but they aren't very appetizing for fresh eating.

For bees I was planning to bring in mason bees. They can be purchased throughout the winter and the housing requirements are simply a thoughtfully placed untreated 4x4 with some holes in it

They are known as being super pollinators and one colony is said to be sufficient pollination for many acres.  However based on this years yields I wonder if I will even see a benefit... I can't imagine having any more apples!

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2010, 07:39:26 AM »
Hey I finally figured out "what the heck I can do with these"

Make cider and hard cider :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM81m5PxdqM#ws

Offline Oakie

• Prepper
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2010, 03:41:06 PM »
 :)   That is awesome!
Isn't it neat how one thing leads to another...
I have a memory or REAL apple cider my neighbor made when I was 7 or 8 yrs old.    ymmmm  can almost taste it

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »
Searching online for various tree guilds, ideas of what others are doing and ran into this site:

http://theorchardhousepcdesign.pbworks.com/w/page/22118219/Initial-PC-Design

A permaculture design project for an old apple orchard, reminded me of all of Nick's apple trees.  Includes links to their presentation to their client, lots of ideas, images, lists of plants for various purposes etc.   

They did sample guilds around a few trees at a time, added bees, greenhouse, etc. 

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2013, 10:44:09 AM »
Hi,
Read with interest your comments as I have an old pecan orchard in central Texas. Has lots of dead limbs from no one living here for several years. Still trying to figure out how to/if the old irrigation lines work. For the dead limbs, plan to add some to around the dripline of trees and to slow down the runoff of rain water.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
use the rotten apples to make alcohol fuel.