Author Topic: Homemade Granola  (Read 2176 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Homemade Granola
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:03:37 AM »
As I was making another batch of granola, I thought perhaps others might be interested... good way to use some of your food stores...

Homemade Granola

4 1/2 cups oatmeal (I prefer old-fashioned, but quick will work)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 cups coconut
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey

Stir together all the dry ingredients. You can substitute other nuts and seeds according to what you have on hand. I have also sometimes used the very finely grated organic coconut, although I prefer the regular kind for granola. Use your imagination on this stuff... it's all good. Especially good are pine nuts, pecans, walnuts, etc.

Pour the vegetable oil over the dry mixture and stir well. Pour the honey over and stir well. Grease your cookie sheet well with vegetable oil and then pour the mixture onto it (mine are the heavy duty commercial size... if yours are smaller you may prefer to use two small ones). Bake for about 17 minutes at 350 degrees F. Take out and stir... Return to oven and bake for about 8 more minutes... Stir Return to oven and bake for 5-7 more minutes...

You have to watch this stuff so it doesn't burn... Get it as toasted as you like... remove from pan immediately (I usually put it back in the glass bowl I use for mixing to cool). It will stick if you skip this step. Cool well, and then store in an airtight container. You can add any sort of dried fruits immediately or add to taste when eating. It should keep for a couple of weeks, although I've never had it taste bad, even when kept a bit longer than that... but it is best when fresh.

Enjoy

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Homemade Granola
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 12:05:29 PM »
It's been awhile since I made this and couldn't find my paper recipe... so I'm glad I posted it here ;)

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
Thanks

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 01:25:36 PM »
Mmm, I should throw in some sunflower and pumpkin seeds next time I make a batch.