Author Topic: NO-Knead Artisan Bread  (Read 2362 times)

Offline herbdoc

• Prepper
NO-Knead Artisan Bread
« on: October 30, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »
Another great recipe we make all the time.

No Knead Artisan Bread

There are many versions of this recipe floating around.  The concept is so simple and the results are so delicious.  There are endless variations you can play with such as adding fresh rosemary, asiago cheese, chopped Kalamata olives or walnuts.

15 ounces of flour (3 cups) – we like half whole wheat and white
1/4 tsp. Dry active yeast
1 & 1/2 tsp sea salt – you can use most any kind of salt but why would you want to?
1 & 1/2 cups of warm water.

• Whisk flour, salt and yeast mixing thoroughly.
• Add water folding to form a shaggy ball.
• Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 12 to 18 hours.
• Lay a sheet of parchment paper inside a skillet.
• Turn out on to a well-floured surface and fold over twice. Remember this is NO KNEAD bread.
• Form into a ball and place on parchment in skillet seam side down.
• Lightly flour the top of the dough.
• Make a couple of slices into the dough with a serrated knife (optional).
• Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
• Let rise at room temperature until loaf doubles in size (1 to 2 hours)
• Preheat oven to 475 F with a cast iron Dutch oven pot with lid. Get a Dutch oven without legs that will easily fit into your oven. 
• Remove Dutch oven and lid from oven.
• Pick up the dough by lifting the parchment and lower into the pot.  Let excess parchment hang over the pot.
• Cover the Dutch oven and return to oven for 30 minutes.
• For a deeper brown loaf, the lid of the Dutch oven may be removed and bread can be baked for an additional 15 to 30 minutes or until the center of the bread registers 210 degrees using a digital probe thermometer.  This
• Cool on a wire rack for two hours before eating, if you can wait that long.

The dough can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or until you are ready to bake.  Refrigerating will further develop the flavors.

Want to Impress your Friends with the “6-3-3-13 Rule”?
This is the basic bread recipe for 8 loaves of bread
6 cups          water
3 Tablespoons    salt
3 Tablespoons      yeast
13 cups      flour

Ingredients are mixed and set over night, then prepared and baked as above.  Make a big batch and bake one or two loaves at a time or cut the recipe in half or in quarter

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Re: NO-Knead Artisan Bread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »
Remember when this was all the rage?  I had forgotten about it.  Does anyone still make this, or maybe have a sourdough version?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
I do this all the time, I have pinched off pieces of dough from the no knead dough in the fridge the past couple nights, rolled it out flat with the rolling pin, and put it on a hot cast iron pan, then covered with a lid, etc.... makes a nce flat bread, can be used as Naan bread or pocket bread.

I have ripped my kitchen apart, so did not look up a recipe and just did: 2 cups of water, 4 cups of fresh ground w/w wheat flour from my flour mill, 2 t yeast, 2 t salt, mixed enough that it was slightly/lightly kneaded, left on the counter from some indetermined hours, flatened, put in the fridge for going on a few days now

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 09:39:30 PM »
I have also subed sourdough starter instead of yeast and some of the flour, but I do not have an active culture in teh house right now

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:38:48 PM »
My family loves this... but I must admit that I haven't been making it recently. I have a really fantastic bread recipe that I got from nuns at a local monastery that I have been making more than anything... I don't think I've posted it here... (see new recipe thread). I promise you'll like it. :)

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 05:38:35 AM »
I do this all the time, I have pinched off pieces of dough from the no knead dough in the fridge the past couple nights, rolled it out flat with the rolling pin, and put it on a hot cast iron pan, then covered with a lid, etc.... makes a nce flat bread, can be used as Naan bread or pocket bread.

Mmm!  Sounds good!