Author Topic: Practice load that has similar ballistics to my hunting load  (Read 2177 times)

tallfoo

Practice load that has similar ballistics to my hunting load
« on: November 04, 2009, 11:44:02 PM »
Okay, I have a 30-06 load that works good in my rifle.  I get 1" to 1.5" groups at 100 yards.  Now I want to work up a load that I can use for practice that doesn't pack as much punch and recoil.  What can I do to work up a load that has a similar trajectory to my hunting load but uses a lighter bullet?

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Practice load that has similar ballistics to my hunting load
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:32:21 AM »
Bump

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 07:07:16 PM »
There are several load data sites that you can use to load with. The trick is getting all the stuff together that's listed to get the same results.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 08:10:09 PM »
In theory I suppose you could.  But........

Different weight bullets have different ballistic coefficients, even of the same style by the same manufacturer.   A lighter bullet fired at the same velocity as your hunting load might kick less but it wouldn't follow the same trajectory due to this.  Also, it would be more affected by wind drift.
Instead, find comfortable practice load but leave your scope sighted in for the hunting load; you can go by the tightness of your groups even if the poi isn't where the cross hairs are.

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 11:16:41 PM »
Why do you want to do that?  No sarcasm intended, but it might help us answer your question.  I would try to duplicate my hunting round exactly to become proficient with it. 

I picked up a great book on load data that lists all the current factory cartridges and their performance in detail including trajectory every 100 yards as + or - point impact with a 100 yard zero.   I guess once you find out the details of the round you use for hunting you could look for similar trajectories of lower weight bullets and come up with something close.

Are you trying to reduce felt recoil?

tallfoo

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 10:38:24 AM »
I'm trying to get a second load that is ballistically similar to my hunting load except with a lighter bullet.  The benefits of having two loads with similar ballistics would be:

a) not having to adjust scope to change between loads
b) know where the bullet will impact at what distance
c) possibly lighter recoil to allow me to shoot more shots in one range session and ultimately increase proficiency
d) possibility to shoot varmint with lighter bullet
e) possibly to reduce cost of shooting because a lighter bullet will be less expensive than a premium hunting bullet