Author Topic: Wax Bullet Training  (Read 6026 times)

Offline texaggs

• Fledgling Prepper
Wax Bullet Training
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:11:33 AM »
I just got through reading a back issue of Backwoods Home and there was an article in there about training with wax bullets.  Seems like author used a revolver.  Melted wax (kind used for jarring), poured it into a aluminum pan and let it solidify.  Then he pressed the empty brass into it and let it fully cool.  He worked the brass free and loaded a magnum primer into the case, NO POWDER.  And used this for back yard practice.  Article said that Hoppes # 9 and a brush got the wax out of grooves.

I used the search and could not find any info on it.  Anyone try it?  Quiet enough for neighborhood training?  Damage to gun?

Joel

Re: Wax Bullet Training
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 08:54:03 AM »
I used to do this extensively.  A revolver is not necessary, and you do not need magnum primers.  You will need some reloading supplies, though.

I used canning wax, melted in an old shallow pan.  Chamfer some old cases until the necks are sharp.  I found it worked best if you drill out the primer holes.  I ended up painting the cases so they didn't get mixed up with my reloadable cases.  Prime the cases, then just press the sharpened mouths into the solidified wax.  Wax that hasn't been previously melted, IE the original blocks, is too thick and brittle.  Never use powder.  The bullets can be re-used by dropping them back into the pan.  Be careful melting the wax; it will catch fire if neglected.

Be aware that the resulting cartridges have surprising power.  The wax bullets will penetrate cheap veneer, so it's important not to just tape a target to a cabinet door - not that I ever did that or anything, because I was never, ever that dumb.  I'm just saying.  :-[ Therefore it's vitally important to treat them with respect and not use them to chastise the dog.  With that caveat, they're great for holster training indoors or in the yard; they're quite quiet.  The wax doesn't leave significant barrel residue.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »
+1 to drilling out the flash holes for more (and more consistent) velocity

Offline texaggs

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:32:26 AM »
Thank you for the insight.  I am planning on using 45ACP in a 629 revolver.  How big a hole in the primer pocket are we talking?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
Double it or thereabouts; is all i have done

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 10:37:04 AM »
Here's what I've seen... I dont know about cleanup, wax might work better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Px6Vz8tt8#normal

Angry.mitro

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:55:30 AM »
hmm never thought of this but it is a good idea for lowly appt dwellers like myself

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 11:44:52 PM »
Have used wax & plastic bullets in training, lots of fun. Wax makes a bit of a mess though and never SAW anyone use them in autoloaders, only revolvers but always assumed that was because they lacked the recoil to cycle the weapon. Also never experienced any damage or malfunctions and probably shot a thousand loads or better of the wax rounds. With the plastic rounds, they would sometimes dislodge themselves from the cartridge case if they got a good jarring (weapon dropped or the like).

AC

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 08:48:21 PM »
There used to be a maker of sort of hard rubber bullets that looked like big oversized pellet gun "diabolo" shaped pellets, for handgun calibers, powered by magnum primers and I remember the part about drilling out the primer hole too. I hope they still make those because they're cool.

The thing with them is, you can shoot a bunch of 'em then clean, lube, and use again. May be less hassle than wax, overall.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »
I've shot thousands of wax bullets and the Speer plastic practice bullets.

Most of this was out of the holster to first shot training in may garage when I worked for the Skagit County Sheriff's office.

I ran a wire across the top of the garage about three feet from the back and suspended two cloths pins on strings from it.

The profile targets were also weighted on the bottom with cloths pins and were easy to change locations.

I hung a bath towel in a similar fashion about a foot behind the target.  The wax bullets would be caught by the towel and dropped into a box.

I would move the target slightly from one side to the other to keep from wearing a hole in the towel.

I drilled out the primer flash holes to about 1/8" on the brass I was using.

Caveat:  NEVER RELOAD A CASE THAT HAS THE FLASH HOLE ENLARGED!!

To make sure that I would never reload them with powder, I filed a grove in the rim.

Post Script:I've shot 44 Magnum wax bullets through half rotted 1/4" plywood.  Don't underestimate their power.

Back in 1965 I took a Blue Grouse out of a tree with one when out deer hunting.  Range was abot 10 feet.  The bird was killed instantly.

Wax or plastic bullets are good very close in quiet meat getters.

Steve

Joel

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »
Have used wax & plastic bullets in training, lots of fun. Wax makes a bit of a mess though and never SAW anyone use them in autoloaders, only revolvers but always assumed that was because they lacked the recoil to cycle the weapon.

They don't have power enough to cycle the action in a semi.  But if a semi's what you need to practice with, then just load the magazine and work the slide between draws.

SilverWolf

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 11:42:07 AM »
I used to do this with a 3030 contender pistol and practice indoors.  Instead of melting the wax, I would just heat the neck of a de-primed case slightly with a lighter and press it into one of the blocks of paraffin.  Then prime the case like nomal.  Wish I would have known about drilling out the primer hole then...might have even been more fun:)  They definitely have some energy in them as evidenced by the holes I put in the sheet rock a couple of times.

I was thinking about it recently and wondering if that counts as discharging a firearm, which is illegal in my neighborhood.  There do not seem to be any statutory exceptions regarding practice ammo or the like, but I have not researched the case law.

Best,
Silver Wolf