Author Topic: Any homeschooling moms out there?  (Read 11316 times)

Offline livingmydream

• Prepper
Any homeschooling moms out there?
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:27:45 PM »
Hello! Just seeing if there were any other homeschooling moms out there? And how you are able to manage homeschooling, gardening, cooking from scratch, preserving and storing your own food? Trying to be able to learn how to fit in all that I do on a daily basis and add more learning and more things to my plate. It sure can get overwhelming at times!

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Any homeschooling moms out there?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »
I am here.  and I do not know how I do it all.  I don't think I do.  I will ponder it and get back to you later (when I am not homeschooling, housecleaning, making dinner or nursing the baby  :P

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:49:42 PM »
I am not a home schooling mom, but I am married to one.

"It all" is never done. All you can do will be more than enough. Of course, I pitch in and do all I can. Even before I retired, I would come home from work, start a load of laundry, clean the dishes and tend the garden. Now of course, "the days are just packed."

Home schooling is more than book learning. Gardening, canning, cooking are all lessons my boys participate in whether it is their mother or me doing it. They are also big enough to help. And they do, though there is the occasional grumbling.

Much of home schooling is also independent study. Check into the Robinson Curriculum. http://www.robinsoncurriculum.com/

Regardless of how much you get done, there is no way for you to avoid doing a better job than the government schools do. Keep up the good work. When it all seems too much, stop, take a deep breath and sit down for a spell. Perfection is the enemy of good.

PinkCoyote

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 11:14:16 AM »
Hi!

We also homeschool but we don't do everything on your list. I am prepared. I do have a stocked pantry but I choose not to make every meal from scratch.  For me, the question is can I survive during an emergency? Do I know how to make a meal from scratch if I need to? Yes! Sure, I could make noodles from flour tonight, but I  have to ask myself if that is the best use of my time.   

My children are old enough to help with many of the tasks of gardening and I am teaching them survival skills as well.  However, if they were still very young and I was trying to homeschool, cook every meal from scratch and do the rest of things on your list all by myself, I'd be one worn out woman!  I am looking forward to doing more gardening and maybe canning but it will have to be babysteps and moderation for me ;)

-PinkCoyote

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:24:41 AM »
Another homeschooling family here... just take it a bit at a time and don't get overwhelmed... no one can do it all at once! Just the change in mindset and setting goals on things you want to do will help a great deal.

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 03:01:22 PM »
I'm new to the forum as of 30 seconds ago, and this is my first post! I'm also a homeschooling mom, and I do all of what you mention above.

Basically, I involve my little ones in as much as I possibly can. I figure that even if they cannot yet participate, they are learning all about running a home, communication and family skills by watching. When I need to do something that the little ones really can't help with, then I'm fortunate enough to have teenagers and grandparents here that help me with them. Not everyone has the same kind of arrangement that I do. If  not, I recommend babywearing, and doing as much as you can during nap time.

As far as home cooked meals from scratch, utilize your slow cooker/crock pot as much as you can and it will really save you some time. I love to get up early before anyone else, and get things going for supper, start a load of laundry (I'm a big fan of Flylady's method of cleaning) and do some yoga or us my Wii. When the little ones get up, we get dressed, pick up and have breakfast, and then we homeschool various subjects or work together to get dinner ready, what have you. We also take a trip outside together in the morning to water plants and pull weeds. Another trip outside to feed goats and collect chicken eggs, feed bunnies, etc. The kids love participating, and they are learning real skills.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
Wow, Vashti! You sound like you really have it together. I am also a flylady fan... have slipped away a bit, but still use a lot of her methods.

Welcome, and please stop by the intro thread if you get a chance...

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 02:05:38 PM »
Flylady rocks!

Offline kimber

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »
Another homeschooling mom here. I find it impossible to get "everything" done. My kids are older now (17,15 and 11 - but they have always been homeschooled) so while they can and do help more the school work has gotten more intense as well.

I just do the best I can and try to enjoy this time with my kids.

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
Oh my...I definitely don't have it all together! I do try, and I'm a slave to schedules lol!! We don't get it all done, but flylady makes me feel good even on the days that I do a poor job. Even a bad cleaning job still blesses your home, right!!??

Offline Shells

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 08:33:18 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with flylady - I'll have to check that out.

Right now my mom does the schooling of my younger two (God bless her) while I work full time with my husband.  We started a small company (very small, just the two of us) and my oldest son is in a terrific on-line school.  I still have to help him schedule his time and study for tests, but it's a tremendous blessing that he's learning so much and all I have to do is supervise, especially now that he's getting older and needs more in-depth learning.

I'm very happy to meet all of you and while we've always lived a country life and kept our kids close to us we've just been introduced to the prepper lifestyle.  It makes perfect sense and falls in line with all that we live and believe but it's hard to know where to fit it all in. 

The past two weeks have been really incredible though.  After giving up my schedules (because they're never completed), God has been gracious enough to allow me the time to work on stocking the pantry, cleaning out cabinets, and building a chicken coop.  We inherited 3 chickens from my cousin today.  If I had planned it all out it never would have happened so beautifully.  I'm praying I get to quit work and school the kids myself next year.

Thank you for your transparency as we all work hard to fit more into our lives than we ever thought possible.

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 04:11:55 PM »
Shells, I'm so glad to hear about your chickens! We have about 35 of them right now and we love them. They are an endless source of amusement and entertainment, in addition to the eggs and meat!

I do sincerely hope that you get your dream of being able to quit work and spend more time with your son and home. My husband and I quit our jobs about 6 years ago, and we'll never work for anyone else again for the rest of our lives. Now, he's the only one working and I'm really blessed to enjoy a homemaking lifestyle with our five children. Being able to be together all the time as a family, in our mid-30's is such a blessing! I wish it upon everyone I meet.

Offline jlsellers

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 02:06:12 PM »
I homeschool too, although my first daughter is only 2 and our second child is due in August. So not doing formal lessons yet. But I still feel the time crunch. Definitely a fan of flylady here--I try to do a load of dishes and a load of laundry every day when I can manage. The method I am looking into, Charlotte Mason, reccommends having young kids spend as much time as possible exploring the outside world, and even though I am in freezing cold utah right now in a basement apartment, we do make it a priority to go on walks as much as is possible. I think having your kids watch and help you with your chores is a valuable education for them and is a habit I am trying to get better at, since it is always faster to just do it myself. I have found that as far as cooking goes, frozen fish and vegetables and a roll make a quick yummy healthy dinner with little prep time, and I am also trying to get in the habit of using the crock pot more. I'd love to hear more about how you all handle your time. :)

Offline anne oakley

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
I just started homeschooling my girls this year.I have a 13, 8 and 5 year old. Some days are better then others of course. My 8 yr old is very strong willed so if anyone has anyone has any suggestions that would help me get her to focus better. PLEASE HELP.... 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 04:32:57 PM »
I just started homeschooling my girls this year.I have a 13, 8 and 5 year old. Some days are better then others of course. My 8 yr old is very strong willed so if anyone has anyone has any suggestions that would help me get her to focus better. PLEASE HELP.... 

Don't lose heart with your strong-willed child... the adjustment period from traditional school to homeschooling varies from one kid to the next a great deal... This being the first year, I would say you should be less concerned about the straight up academic worries and more about getting your own family routine down and discovering the best ways for your kids to learn. You may find that some things just don't work as well with your child (or with one of your children) as they do for others. She may have some ideas herself about how to make it work better with less strife. Once you get those things ironed out, it will get easier.

Friends who have transitioned say it takes about one full school year to really get through the adjustment. Hang in there!

I have one particularly strong-willed child of my own. He makes it much more challenging than the other one... and I have never even had them in a traditional school setting. It seems to be his nature to give me some grief! Builds character, right (for me, I mean)?

Offline anne oakley

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 06:22:42 PM »
Thanks, we will definitely be hanging in through all this. There's no way they are going back to prison, i mean public school. My 13 year old got her nose broke last year by a BOY at school during recess and the school told me they weren't responsible. So that pretty much made my decision. We have had nothing but grief since they started. Thanks again.  :)

Offline Mom2Four

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »
Another homeschooling mom here.  2 sons in college and 2 sons at home.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »
Welcome, Mom2Four! Glad to have another homeschooling mom here. It sounds like you could certainly offer some advice for those of us who haven't yet gotten our kids raised...

If you haven't already, stop by the intro thread...

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »
I homeschooled when my kids were at home and I think it's almost inevitable that you're gooing to have one that is a bit stubborn. Try getting the hardhead involved in how to make it work, what would be easier, better for them and they might surprise you. My son did. The nice part is they have grown into great adults. Granted they think their Mother is a bit out there and I'm sure they're probably right. Being a pagan and a prepper and someone who still hasn't totally grown up.

Offline Prep-Lady

• Prepper
  • A Prep away from Freedom
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 09:12:33 PM »
I am new to prepping and this forum but I have homeschooled my 14 year old since she was 3 years old. I have never liked the school system and how the children just get lost in the crowd. My issue as a new prepper with my daughter is how to get her into the new lifestyle of prepping and making our own stuff. I have also been switching our family over to a more organic lifestyle which has been equally difficult. Killing the soda habit has been hard! Once I woke up and unplugged from the matrix I wanted the rest of my family to disconnect. I realize some people like being lead down the rabbit hole but how can I help my stubborn child give-up some of the distractions and learn some of the homesteading skills necessary for self-sufficiency?

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 12:24:11 AM »
Well, 14 is a difficult age, they are beginning to get to that point where they think they know it all and parents spent their lives living in a vacuum and know nothing. All teens go through this, some to a lesser extent than others thankfully. You might get her to watch some of the television shows with you and discuss them. There was a fairly good one on earlier this week called something like "Life After the Oil Runs Out". Have discussions on what she'd do for food and entertainment if there were no power for a week or so. I had a bit of trouble with my daughter being totally disinterested till an ice storm left us without power for 11 days. I wouldn't recommend that as a fun way to learn though.

Offline Prep-Lady

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 03:12:10 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I wish it was that simple. We had to live through Ike and all she could keep  saying was how bored she was. We live a simple life in a 2 bedroom 45' RV so we packed up and moved for Ike but my parents were without power for weeks! All I can hear her say day in and day out is that she wants to move to California and become a movie star. Now, I do not want to be the one to crush her dreams but she is a shy introvert so I do not really see that happening but I will never  tell her that! I am trying to get her to spend more time learning new things with me but all she wants to do is play video games. I wish they were never introduced to her by my family. I do agree with you it is going to take something really major hitting us for her to understand what we are doing. While we are planning for our bol I talk to her about what is happening but she tunes me out. I live on the history and science channels. They have really been talking about disaster lately. The whole family watched the Colony together. She is of the mindset like the rest of the family is; It will never happen to me! Strange though we have lived through several major hurricanes. I welcome any and all suggestions and a good dose of time.
Thanks all

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
I wish I had some experience that would help you, but I haven't been through the teen years yet. My oldest boy is 11. I will say this, though. My kids love Wii, computer and nintendo DS games as much as the next kid... we find them to be very addicting. In fact, we think it makes them into little monsters if they get too much game time in... we have a family rule related to it, because of that fact. We have limited their game time to about 2 hours every Saturday (none during the week at all unless it is a special occasion). It was very tough at first (all the whining about being bored, etc.), but whenever they were bored, I was always able to come up with chores that could solve their boredom. Amazingly enough, they eventually got busy and found creative things to do, or played with some of their building kits (erector set, k'nex, rok'n'bok, etc.), or played board games, or went outside to ride bikes or skate...

We think they are much more pleasant human beings when they don't play electronic games very much. They are much more engaged with us and each other when they don't have that diversion available to them.

Offline Prep-Lady

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 05:13:01 PM »
I am new to prepping and homesteading. I have so much to learn and I would like her to learn along with me. I told her yesterday that was going to learn the basics of sewing because I feel it is useful to know how to make clothes or a least repair them. She just looked at me. I smiled at her because I know there are somethings she just may like. She does not play games during the school week either. She has so much to do in school there is no time. I am working on getting rid of the everything is disposable attitude slowly but surely.  We are going to learn to make soda pop since I will not allow store bought soda I found a few recipes for something more organic and good for you! I decided to incorporate prepping and self-sufficiency into her education. Since I homeschool I will make it part of the curriculum. Not being prepared is not an option and standing with her hands held out will not work for me. I have to admit there is so much to learn here and I sometimes feel overwhelmed by it all. It is my mission to teach her to take care of herself. Thanks for all the insight and just sharing it helps when you do not feel alone.

Offline Vashti

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 01:03:04 AM »
I have two teenagers that go to public school, and two (almost 3) little ones that I homeschool. I can tell you that one of the most effective ways I've found to engage my teens in prepping is to ask them hypothetical questions. For instance, we'll take a look at the empty shelves in grocery stores on the East coast from the snow storms this winter, and I'll ask them how they would feel if our grocery store looked like that when we went shopping. We talk about how easy it is to get caught up in the lifestyle of purchasing your daily meal at the store on the way home, and how that could put you at risk for being without food in an emergency. They come up with some great answers on their own, and don't have to listen to a boring conversation or lecture from us about something they're not interested in. We just casually bring up these questions while watching the news online (we don't have cable or any local channels, just watch Netflix from time to time).

Also, we involve them whether they like it or not. We buy wheat in bulk and they get to help bring in the big bags of wheat, fill the mylar buckets and help in the crazy fast oxygen and sealing process. I do most of the garden work, but my teen son gets to help with turning the compost, rototilling, etc. Teen daughter gets to watch babies a lot, help with most of the domestic duties too. When I want to introduce her to something like sewing, we go and purchase really cool patterns that are her style and something she'd actually wear. She makes them herself or with a little help from me or my mom, and is really pleased when she's complimented on the garment by friends at school. We also go to the Renaissance Festival every year, and both teens plan and create their costumes months in advance. Great sewing/crafting skill building. Son has welded his own swords and pikes, and created staves of wood too.

As far as time management, my greatest asset is to get up early before the rest of the family. I get up around 5 - 5:30 AM (when I'm not pregnant and exhausted) and use that early morning time to do a little bit of yoga or a small daily ritual/blessing for my home. I start laundry, clean the bathroom and shower, and begin breakfast. Sometimes there's enough time for me to start dinner too if I'm crockpotting that day. I might play some relaxing music during this time and it's really my way of feeding my spirit before I need to feed the spirits of all these special people in my life. When the all start getting up, I'm refreshed and full of joy and ready to share all of that exuberance with them. I have plenty of energy to tackle anything they can dish out! I do go to bed pretty early usually though, no later than say 9:30 or 10:00 PM if I can get away with it. There are a lot of wonderful time savers that we mom's can employ in our household management skill set. Creating meal lists for the week saves a lot of time and stress because you don't have to worry about trying to figure out what you're having for dinner when there's finger paints all over the walls, table and kids! Keeping a regular To Do list is extremely helpful, and being able to see yourself cross things off during the day feels soooo good! I also use Flylady's recommendations for using different days of the week for different purposes.

Long post, but I hope you find it a little bit helpful. I haven't been on much in the past week because we're getting close to having our 5th babe and I'm having contractions nearly all day now, I'm so tired and I have gestational diabetes and learning to take insulin for the first time! Babe is due to be delivered via cesarean on the 7th of April, and after I'm home and a bit recovered I'll be on more. Right now, we're just doing what we can to stay on top of Jack's posts and make sure there will be plenty of casseroles in the freezer for everyone for while I'm at the hospital and stuck in bed afterward for a week or so! Glad to meet each of you!

Offline pchambers

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 07:53:16 AM »
Am going to do a "unit study" on Gardening with my three boys.  We are going to make a gardening notebook heavily influenced on our own garden: volume of the wine barrel we are growing potatoes in, area of different beds, yield calculations, observation, bug, weed, animal classifications and whether they are beneficial or pests, basic botany, hybridization, seed saving, etc.  I also want to include some other areas of study - historical significance, famous gardeners, etc.  Has anyone else done anything similar?

Offline Aelah

• Prepper
    • Terra Del Sol Farm & Vineyard
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 09:51:02 PM »
Semi-homeschooling in our household. I'm a full-time teacher/activities director, but because of my daughter's academic needs (she already attends a private Christian school), I regularly "home school" in the afternoons and evenings. Summer is guaranteed home-school time, focusing on each child's strengths and challenges. My children are 13, 13, and 17, which can be a challenge, but we engage them much as Vashti mentioned, asking though-provoking questions, gearing chores/responsibilities to their personal interests and age, and sometimes just pulling parental rank. My 17 year old actually ENJOYS going to school and presenting intelligent, alternate perspectives in his classes, of course, doing the work is another story  ;). As for getting things done, my husband is ALWAYS reminding me that my "To Do" list will never end and to take time to relax, but we work together as a family. Each person has their own responsibilities each day posted on the "fridge", including mom and dad. Our kids rarely complain about their list as they know the policy of rewards, compliments, and consequences, even when they were little.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 01:51:47 PM »
Am going to do a "unit study" on Gardening with my three boys.  We are going to make a gardening notebook heavily influenced on our own garden: volume of the wine barrel we are growing potatoes in, area of different beds, yield calculations, observation, bug, weed, animal classifications and whether they are beneficial or pests, basic botany, hybridization, seed saving, etc.  I also want to include some other areas of study - historical significance, famous gardeners, etc.  Has anyone else done anything similar?

That is a great idea! I'll bet your kids will love this. I tend to focus more on a traditional structured curriculum with my kids' schoolwork, although they explore their own particular interests on their own aside from their regular schoolwork... we haven't done anything as in-depth as you are doing, although they are very involved in the gardening, seed-saving, seed-starting, dehydrating, storing, etc. projects around the house. They are also very interested in wild foods and herbs and insects and wildlife...

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »
New here, and I am a homeschooling mom of two. This year, I just schooled my 1st grader while my youngest attended preschool, but next year (well, starting in the summer, really, we will year-round school) I will be schooling a Kindergartner and a 2nd grader.

We use Math Mammoth (which I HIGHLY recommend for lower elementary math at least), and other than that, mostly reading, journals, and conversation, loosely based on the "First Step" curriculum. We also do piano and Hebrew (we're Jewish). I suppose with the exception of math you could say I am an "unschooler", but I hate that using that term because it is for some families it is a mutated term for chaos and neglect. My goal is to educate my kids to be independent and creative critical thinkers.

If I'm honest the main reason I don't use a formal curriculum is because most available out there are Christian, and we're, well, Jews. Nothing but sincere respect for my Christian friends, but it's just not what we want for our family. The secular curricula we've found more often than not replicate public school at home, which kind of defeats the purpose. First Step/Connect the Thoughts is an exception to that rule, but even that I must, at times, modify - but fundamentally it is a good curriculum that can be easily modified to be presented with the values and perspective you want to give your kids.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:28:18 PM by Dagny »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 07:50:46 PM »
Welcome, Dagny... glad to have you here... I think you are correct about most of the curricula. There are quite a few moms who design their own curricula based on the classical method... if you have checked that out, you might find it to be a good match for you. There are many programs out there that tend to be very specifically Christian classical method plans, but there are a couple of books that would be a good match for anyone to use as a framework, substituting things particular to your own faith. The two books that spring to mind are Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum, by Laura Berquist (I think she's Catholic) and The Well-Trained Mind, by Susan Wise Bauer and Jesse Wise. I think I would recommend the latter for a non-Christian, as it has less Christian-specific material in it.

Since you are early on in the homeschooling process, you have so many choices ahead! I have taken an easier course with my boys and purchase an entire curriculum (already put together with lesson plans) from an accredited home school, but think the classical method really lends itself to more flexibility and offers a lot in terms of training in critical thinking.

If you haven't already... stop by the intro thread... this is a friendly place.

LvsChant.