Author Topic: Stuck Primer  (Read 6585 times)

Offline Biff

• Survivor
Stuck Primer
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:25:21 PM »
I was priming a bunch of 9mm cases yesterday (using a RCBS hand primer) and I made a boo-boo.

One of the primers is "stuck" in between the shell holder and the bottom of the case.  Is there any way I can safely remove the primer?  (And yes, I inspected each and every case before I prime them, and I verified there wasn't any tumbling media stuck in the primer hole/pocket.)

It took me a bit but I was able to remove the shell holder from the priming tool and slap in a new one in to finish out the session.

I can't push the primer up any further (don't want it to go "bang" in my hand) and I think my only option is to carefully push the primer out the bottom.  Worse comes to worse is that I go out and spend another $7 for another shell holder.

Thanks in advance!

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: Stuck Primer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:32:43 PM »
I've deprimed cases with live primers before;  shouldn't be an issue (wear saftey glasses).

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »
Is it stuck in the shell holder itself? Or halfway into the shell case? Is it straight or crooked as it sits relative to the case? Is it possible to turn the case a bit and maybe roll the primer loose?
Wear safetyglasses, gloves and hearing protection if you have to get a little bit aggressive with it.
RipT

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »
I have not had the opertunity to use it, but I believe there is a liquid that can be put into the bottom of the case that will "inactivate" the primer.  Making it safe to run through you de-caping die.  I would NEVER run a live primer through the die.  One small precaution to possibly save a limb....

Worst case... through the case out... soak it in water... One case isn't worth the injury.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 01:57:34 PM »
oil will kill a primer as well.
RipT

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 04:07:39 PM »
I wouldn't assume oil "will" kill a primer for sure. I have seen tests that others have done where only a small % were deactivated even after a week in solvents and oils of all types.

A primer by itself isn't going to make you "lose a limb".  It might make your ears ring and can definitely injure your eye but as long as it is a single, isolated primer you aren't going to have much else to worry about.  Hit one with a hammer in your driveway - not nearly as powerful as the roll of caps you hammerred when you were a kid.

A pin applying pressure from the inside will not cause the anvil the ignite the primer. If you push it gently enough to avoid damaging the anvil you can use them again even.

Offline Biff

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 06:12:08 PM »
The primer's stuck about halfway in the case, with the other half sticking out of the bottom, in between the shell holder and the case.  I can't wiggle the case out of the shell holder.

So, it looks like to wear protection and to gently use a decapping die to slowly press it out. 

<Crossing my fingers on this one...>

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:26:01 PM »
If you go easy, you should be alright. I have pressed many live ones out on my Dillon, using gentle pressure and crossed fingers. Good luck.
RipT

Offline JFCisme

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »
Live primers can deactivated with a little oil or WD-40.  Soak it overnight and then gently push it out. 

Primers that are not contained could have a fragmentation effect from the anvil and/or the explosive compound. 

Loud bangs in the house will draw unwanted attention from other members of the household.

JFCisme

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »
I've pushed out several live primers as well. Is it right?? I dunno, but I've done it. Just wear eye protection, gloves.

I've never had one go off.

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »
I've also de-primed live primers (eye,ear, and gloves) with no problems.  I reuse them in range ammo and have never had one not work.  It may not be right, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.  Of course, I would never teach someone to do this.

Offline uspsa4553

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 10:56:03 AM »
It's your call but is the risk of it going bang worth $7.00?  Myself I would probably just get a new one.

Offline sigboy40

• Fledgling Prepper
    • The Sigboy Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »
The books all say that you should be using safety glasses anyways.

Personally, I have deprimed a few live primers and not had an issue.  My thought is this, the primer is in a case, which is attached to a shell holder.  Which way is the primer going to go if it does go off?  The only obvious answer is straight down out of the press.  Which shouldn't hurt anything at all.

Offline BlueSmoke

• Prepper
    • Pardner Protector
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:27:38 AM »

Soak it in water overnight.  The priming compound will absorb the water and make it safer to handle. Wear safety glasses and gently push it out.

Regards,

BlueSmoke

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 04:27:11 PM »
What is the priming compound used these days?

If it's a metallic salt, then water or oil will dissolve and desensitize it, depending on the solubility rules of that particular salt. Liquid dish soap + a little oil generally works for both, since it's ampiphillic (polar molecules with long hydrocarbon tails). After a good soaking, I'd spritz out the primer cup with WD-40 if possible. The only problem I see is the size of the flash hole in the case restricting the amount of goo you can get in/out of the primer...

It's been a while, though - did you get it out?