Author Topic: eXRS radios  (Read 2463 times)

Browncoat

eXRS radios
« on: January 03, 2010, 06:50:59 PM »
Anyone know anything about eXRS radios?  Just discovered them and they seem pretty darn nifty.  Just wanted to know if it was all marketing hype or not.

blar

Re: eXRS radios
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
From what I learned when taking one apart is that the are really just the same chips as what used to go in 900Mhz DSS cordless phones. This is not necessarily a bad thing as the privacy level is fairly solid and for the average eves dropper they wont hear a thing. For secure comms I prefer the Motorola DTR series Radios (Fully Encrypted and Mil-810 spec) But they are a lote more $$$.  Just some thoughts but they work ok... the range in the 900Mhz band is good but still the output power is not very high, the Moto DTR's are 1W output if I remember and will go a few miles in real world settings.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »
There's a small amount of info in this old thread:
TriSquare eXRS FHSS ISM HT's

Browncoat

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 10:07:55 PM »
Thanks, Mr. Bill.  Apparently, my search-fu is weak.

Offline rangergear

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 05:40:18 AM »
When I first found TriSquare I was a big believer in it. I even picked up the line in my store. We used them in man events that we put on in both urban and woodland environments. They seemed to work fairly well and I loved the way you could call someone specifically or talk to the group. It eve3n has call waiting. The problem I found was that it was easy to get out of sync with other radios and it seemed to have big problems when the batteries got low. They also required a lot of time to set them up and get running. You have to program them like you would if you bought a unlocked cell phone and had to set it up. It could have been me but I found them a little difficult to set up and trouble shoot when they went down.

So I switched to MURS band on old Motorola radios that I bought from Ebay. Each radio was under $100 and they get great range and I never have traffic on them.  The Motorola‚Äôs are also very easy to set up. Hope this was helpful.