Author Topic: Who knows about your Preps?  (Read 26519 times)

Caleb

Who knows about your Preps?
« on: November 28, 2008, 12:35:02 PM »
I watched a youtube video today that made me wonder… who knows about my preps? Who should know, who shouldn’t? and how does that all fit with talking to others about the need to get prepped?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Who knows about your Preps?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 01:07:48 PM »
You guys know about it, that's about it.

I talk to people about preparedness & being ready for when disasters occur, but I don't go into specifics about my own preps or what steps I've taken. 

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 01:27:38 PM »
My close family and those on the forum here know. I might mention it every so often, but never go into detail about myself or any efforts in this area that I have undertaken. I might mention it to others in that I might say something about preparation and how it might be a good idea.

Offline Red Dog

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 01:32:36 PM »
My wife knows about and helps with all of them.

My parents are aware of some of them, They know my "pantry" is full and overflowing into the basement, and my father is aware of the extent of my gun collection.

I've had a conversation with my Brother telling him he's welcome to bring his family to my place in an emergency.

That's it.  A lot of our preps are visible to some one who knows what to look for, the couple of cords of wood, the garden, my 350 gallon propane tank, etc. but my house is not visible from the road so only some one who has driven down the driveway could see them.

A lot of this is paranoia on my part (Doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya!), but a lot of it is laziness on my part.  It's a lot easier to go through life without everyone "knowing you're crazy."  It's very rare any more for me to try and convert a grasshopper through conversation.  I've been doing this for almost 20 years now and have found that most people don't want to consider the possible bad things.  Ignoring risk is so much easier than avoiding it or preparing for the consequences.  I've found that most people can look right at preps and never see them.  The few who do are the ones that I might have a prepper conversation with.  Most of the people who notice a prep or two have allready started to think like an ant.  When I do have these conversations I find it's allways better to leave specific reasons out of the discussion, it's rare that people first thinking about it will be motivated for the same reasons you are, and I feel it's better to let them voice their concerns first.  Even then I am not really willing to talk about specifics, that's the paranoia I mentioned earlier ;)

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 01:36:50 PM »
Only my immediate family and my like minded friends and associates know.
I see no reason for outsiders to know my business. It's could come back to bite me in the ass later.
That may be paranoid but better safe than sorry.

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 01:48:51 PM »
Immediate family members and thats about it.  No nieghbors, extended family co workers no one else.  That way I dont have to put up with "gee I will just come to your house!"

And of course you guys, but I figure you wont tell!

Nothing to see here,  >: (please move along..... ;D

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 04:53:02 PM »
Besides you, only my son - the grasshopper.
I have made suggestions to others, told them about this site and BePrepared.com, etc., but haven't gone into specifics as to what I have. (which is not nearly enough to suit me.)

It's kind of hard to get some people to listen when their head(s) is (are) in the sand! (La la land syndrome?)

Offline Braden

• Prepper
  • Moved out to the country for the lifestyle we want
    • CopperSkink - Your Personalized Preparedness Manual
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 06:51:43 PM »
Only me and the Mrs, If I told my friends they would think I was nuts (perhaps  I am :D)

Offline aslink

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »
Just my wife. I don't really talk about it much with others. I may talk about the need for being prepared and if no one asks I don't talk about my preps, no one needs to know. I find most people aren't that interested and the subject seems to bore them almost. It's nice to know communities like these are out there so like minded people can talk and share. But it seems the rest don't care, I guess to them the government will provide. lol

SouthernLiving

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 09:08:47 AM »
My wife, my brother and his family, and my parents.  They are all with the program.

My MIL, she thinks we are nuts.  Luckily she lives 1100 miles away.

I know a few locals that are prepping as well.  They know I am of a similar mindset but I still don't share details with them, and they don't share them with me.  There seems to be a unspoken mutual agreement that we will keep the specifics to ourselves and just speak about general concerns and observations.

jeremya

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 01:54:26 PM »
Preps basically you guys and my wife.

A few close friends know the exact number of guns I own. Co-workers know I am in to guns, but from what I can tell here in Texas that's not that unusual.

I need to keep my mouth shut more even with friends... but I am naturally a pretty open person.

-- Jeremy

Offline MamaGator

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »
My son, his wife, my brother.  My son and DIL are close by and we would work together if things got bad.   My brother is a few hundred miles away, but we talk about the political situation and other topics.  That's it.  I sure don't want to be the 'go-to' person in my neighborhood. 

I have a sister a few states away that I worry about.  I've tried to get her to stock up during sales just to save money, but she won't even do that.    :(

tash

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 10:57:07 AM »
My son, his wife, my brother.  My son and DIL are close by and we would work together if things got bad.   My brother is a few hundred miles away, but we talk about the political situation and other topics.  That's it.  I sure don't want to be the 'go-to' person in my neighborhood. 

I have a sister a few states away that I worry about.  I've tried to get her to stock up during sales just to save money, but she won't even do that.    :(

Hey Mom! :)

Between my wife and my mom I think we have just about everything covered. We have open discussions about what need to do, who should do I, ideas on planning, contingencies, etc...

I have a friend or two that know what I have and why I do it. Both are pretty much on board. One is aware of the need to prep but openly admits that he's too lazy. He already knows NOT to coming knocking on my door if it gets that bad. The other one has been working hi way out of a cash crunch and has barely been making it by. Soon enough he's start to put things away and I'll be there to help guide him in the right direction.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 05:10:02 PM »
My wife and my younger brother. Middle brother lives too far away.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 05:17:38 PM »

Between my wife and my mom I think we have just about everything covered. We have open discussions about what need to do, who should do I, ideas on planning, contingencies, etc...

I have a friend or two that know what I have and why I do it. Both are pretty much on board. One is aware of the need to prep but openly admits that he's too lazy. He already knows NOT to coming knocking on my door if it gets that bad. The other one has been working hi way out of a cash crunch and has barely been making it by. Soon enough he's start to put things away and I'll be there to help guide him in the right direction.
Quoted for awesomeness...because you're both here & +1 to you both.

Offline mrs gator

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 05:46:54 PM »

Hey to my family!

We are all in on it. My mother-in-law(BCE) is amazing with her deals and I must(MUST!) learn to be more like her so we can really start stocking up.

I don't talk to my parents about it. If something happened, I want enough to help them also but I don't think they would understand.

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 06:20:17 PM »
no one. i can't trust my family to keep it to themselves so i don't tell them. like, the old saying lose lips sinks ships.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »
My parents know (and are assisting) and one of my good friends. I crack jokes about packing my 'Survival Kit' to other friends and acquaintances and while they laugh they still completely agree and all of them to some degree are beginning their own prepping. Most of them are simply trying to get loose of the 'system' while others are planning gardens. Only my parents and my one friend know the seriousness or extent to which I am preparing.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 11:59:31 PM »
My wife is involved with me and the kids are too young to care, or even know what the hell I'm talking about.  I do have two coworkers who are ino it themselves.  One lady who is aware of us just say she is coming to our homes.

I told her that if it was ever that bad that I wouldn't be as friendly as I am at work. 

After a couple of weeks she started talking to me again.  She told me I creeped her out when I said that.

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 07:53:16 AM »
Other than my wife and kid, no one know what I have. My moms and dads know Im a prepper. I have had a few house guests that have seen my pantry, guests sleep in the basement. A few people have asked me about my BOB's and they are told its for camping.

My dad once told me that if the SHTF he was comming to my house. I told him if he can make it over the razor wire, past the claymores and sentry guns, he was more then welcome.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 08:45:57 AM »
My wife is involved with me and the kids are too young to care, or even know what the hell I'm talking about.  I do have two coworkers who are ino it themselves.  One lady who is aware of us just say she is coming to our homes.

I told her that if it was ever that bad that I wouldn't be as friendly as I am at work. 

After a couple of weeks she started talking to me again.  She told me I creeped her out when I said that.

Perhaps you can direct her to a few sites so that she can "open her eyes" and also suggest that she get started on her own preps. It's the "neighborly" thing to do. 
What she does with the information would by up to her - she's a big girl, isn't she.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 02:21:56 PM »
Oh believe me, I've tried.  I told her that I just buy a few extra items when I go grocery shopping is all you have to do.  But she is totally aloof.  I don't think she really thinks any thing "bad" is coming to prepare for.

Then again, she hasn't brought it up in a while.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 05:37:34 PM »
I think we all know people like that - who wear blinders.  (I wonder if she even watches the news.)

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 05:47:03 PM »
I think we all know people like that - who wear blinders.  (I wonder if she even watches the news.)

Sad part is, she does and chooses not to.  She's not a take care of me lefty either.  One of her best friend is a co worker of mine that is prepping with her husband.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 05:56:57 PM »
In other words: "If I pretend it's not there, it will go away and not hurt me"?

Offline MamaGator

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »

Quoted for awesomeness...because you're both here & +1 to you both.

Thanks - I know I'm blessed.  There's enough to worry about in this world without adding family to the list.  Plus I love bouncing ideas around with Mr & Mrs Tash. 

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 10:27:36 PM »
In other words: "If I pretend it's not there, it will go away and not hurt me"?

True example of head in the sand.

Offline phil_in_cs

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 07:43:08 AM »
You should take the number of people who you think know you prep, and multiply by 10 or so. Any one that's visited the house of a serious prepper will have seen evidence; a years worth of food for a family takes considerable storage room. Anyone who looks into our walk pantry will see dozens of boxes of cornbread mix, cases of tomato sauce, boxes of dried milk, etc. They may not mention it to you, but as survivalism is currently in the news again it would be in people's minds.

I am not Mormon, but anyone that is will be assumed to have the food preps even if they don't.

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 07:13:58 PM »
My sister, my husband, and my kids know.  I worried that my younger children might tell everyone they knew, but I have stuff hidden all over the house and if something happened to me, I would want them to know where all the stuff is. My Dad is going to miss easy access to alcohol when the shtf.  I've tried to talk to him, but I might as well talk to my dog, at least she acts like she cares and understands.  I am in a line of work that puts me in people's homes 10 or 12 times per week.  Before I became a prepper, I would walk into some homes and think that these people are just "disorganized."  Now I look at them with a different set of eyes.  Last week, I told a lady "it looks like you are prepared for anything" and she said, "well, you're either an ant or a grasshopper, have you heard the story of the ant and the grasshopper?"  I showed her my appointment book with the sticker on it, and she was amazed that someone had thought of that.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 08:25:33 PM »
The only person I've told is the farmer friend of mine who owns my bug out pad.  He will let my family stay at his farm if SHTF.  I have food at his farm and told him he can use it if he needs to.  He also knows I have some guns and ammo but he hasn't seen the guns or ammo.  He has no idea I listen to the podcast or am on this forum.  No one does. 

I haven't told my wife, my parents, my friends, or anyone else.  Certainly not my lame ass grasshopper neighbors.  Only my bug out farmer knows because he's the only guy who needs to know since I'm using his place.

My main reason for keeping things on the down low is that people are scared of the word "survivalist" (even my hardcore conservative friends).  They will think I'm crazy.  And I need to have credibility with my wife, kids, and closest friends because I might warn them to do something as S starts to HTF.  If they have a preconceived notion that I'm crazy, they won't listen and might not make it.  I need to ease my family and closest friends into the idea of surviving.  To do this, I need to be thought of from the beginning as being "normal"--and then I unveil things piece by piece "Do you hear all thos sirens and the rioting?  Oh look.  I seem to have an AR-15.  Where did that come from?  I bet you will agree it is coming in handy now.  Here are some other little things I thought to store up...." 

To be clear: this unveiling after SHTF only applies to my friends and immediate family.  Strangers and acquaintances will be hungry, scared, and crazy--and jealous that I have prepared for my family.  I don't need that.