Author Topic: Which Pack?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline Crusher13

• Survivor
Which Pack?
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:57:24 AM »
I am looking for some feedback on a new pack. I am deciding between a Maxpedition Condor II, Falcon II, or a Snugpak Rocket Pack. The pack will be used mainly for daily use back and forth to work and for traveling. I am engineer by trade and spend a fair amount of time traveling and doing field work. I have become a light packer and for an overnight business trip I like to take only one bag for clothes/toiletries, laptop, and misc items. Does anyone have any experience with these three packs for that use. I know the Rocket Pack is much larger with both rockets attached but similar in size with them removed and could be used for extended trips as well.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: Which Pack?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
Sadly enough, I have all three (I'm a gear freak, I can't help it... I see tactical bags and I just gotta buy them. . .it's a sickness) including knock-offs from Voo-Doo for the Condor and Falcon.

I do like the Snugpack for the same reason you posted, it's a larger and can be increased in size.  For me this makes it a better BOB.  But, if you buy the either of the Maxpedition packs, it's not difficult adding side modules on.

You can't go wrong with any of the choices.  Maxpeditions are a little more. . .versatile.  More internal pockets, dividers, etc.

But there's a lot to be said about simplicity, too.

So. . .yeah. . .they're all good.  Sorry I can't be much more help.

The Professor

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 04:44:12 PM »
Wow The Professor and I thought I was bad! Sadly, I suffer the same affliction. The only thing that has kept me from going completely nuts is my "gear budgeting".

I have the Maxpedition Vulture-II with a CamelBak Storm Hydration System and really like it. I looked at the other packs, but felt I wanted something larger yet not quit as large as an Alice pack. Still want an Alice pack though - for no apparent reason. For my every day bag I went with a Maxpedition Last Resort Tactical attacheĀ“ - LOVE IT. Although it took me a couple days to figure out where the hidden gun pocket was LOL.

As a side note I was reading one of the threads a while back and someone made a really good case for using bags and gear that does not look tactical in bug out situations - not drawing attention to yourself.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:46:53 PM by Gray Ghost »

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 07:29:30 PM »
Yeah, it's sad. . .I'll buy gear of all sorts "just because."  The only real thing that keeps me reined in is my wife.  Case in point. . .LA Police Gear had a sale going on to get rid of their Tactical Map Case.  It's a really well-made knock-off of the Blackhawk Battle Bag.  I got one and liked it so much that I bought the last 10 they had in stock, kept 5 (One for both my trucks, one for the Wife's Truck and two upstairs next to the bed) and gave the rest to friends.  I use these as a combination Active Shooter-type bag and Get Home Bag (which I refer to as a Hostile Environment Resource Kit). Now I have a bunch of empty MOLLE-type shoulder bags that I bought before this one, I even replaced my Maxpedition Jumbo S-type  for them.

Now. . I'm just waiting for another one to come along. (somebody stop me before I buy again!!).

As to the backpacks not looking tactical. . .well, I generally agree with the premise not to buy a camo pack.  But, in all honesty, you can go down to your local fabric store (or even WalMart) and buy a couple yards of a neutral-colored durable cloth, sew a drawstring around all four corners and wrap this around your pack.  I do this when I hunt and have a reversible snow camo/blaze orange cover for my Hunting pack.  I can remain concealed if it's snowy, leave it uncovered if I'm in a non-snowy area or wrap it in bright orange if I get lost.  It only weighs a couple of ounces.

Get whatever pack works for you and worry about the appearance later.  A guy in khaki pants, olive shirt and hiking boots carrying a camo pack won't draw all that much attention.  Cover the pack in a medium grey cloth, and no one will think twice.

Just some thoughts, Hope they help.

The Professor

As to the

Offline footpad

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »
hey crusher,

if your interested, send me a PM i have a new/used one of these...below... im looking to let go of. its green camo and in great condition. lots of storage and pockets to organize. i have pics of the insides.

http://camelbak.com/government-military/hydration-packs/bfm.aspx

Offline Rand McNally

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:50:24 AM »
Camelbak makes great packs for both the military and civilian market, and there produce range covers enough sizes that you should be able to find something that works for you. They hold up well and come with the water badder. Most the models now have the hydration pocket separate from the the rest of the bag, it makes it much easier to refill when you have a full load. Just my thoughts.