Author Topic: My first Squib  (Read 2003 times)

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
My first Squib
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:43:01 PM »
Thought maybe some new reloaders might want to learn from my mistake, stupidity, or lack of experience.  :(

I have been reloading for about 2 years strictly .45 colt for my six gun. However, that's the only weapon I have ever reloaded.

I recently picked up a .45 colt lever action with a 16" barrel. I decided to field test my new long gun. First, I tested my reload with my six gun about 30 yards. Penetration was only about half way through a thick catalog.

In hindsight, the 3 inches of penetration and not going clean through the catalog was a red flag the load was too light.

I already knew my load data and understood the load was close to starting suggested data from a manual.

I fired more rounds from the same load through my six gun, no problems. And was led to believe falsely the load was fine to try on the 16" barrel.

Picked up my lever action, and the first bullet fired became stuck in the barrel.

Researched some solutions like hammer and wood dowel, etc., in removing bullet; however, decided to drop off at a local smith to remove it for $50 bucks. This is a costly mistake as I will find out soon if the barrel is damaged or not.

Offline Gadget

• Senior Survivalist
    • Your Best Defense
Re: My first Squib
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »
Not long ago, a fellow came through my CWP class with a .38 S&W that he borrowed from a friend. The same friend gave him a gag of reloads to shoot that day. After about 20 rounds, he fired and I heard a strange pop. I was able to keep him from firing another round and found that the round was a squib and the bullet had gotten stuck just inside the barrel. I knocked it out with a cleaning rod and we continued. A few rounds later, he had another squib with the same result. We cleared it and went on. A few rounds after that, he had another squib round and the bullet stuck halfway out of the muzzle. I put a stop to him shooting the reloads and told him to thank his friend for almost getting him hurt. We had to put the pistol in a vise and use a dowel to hammer the bullet back through the barrel.

Moral of the story, be VERY careful shooting someone else's reloads and pay attention to sound a recoil when shooting.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:19:12 AM »
Gunslinger,
Go to your local farm supply, ie. Tractor Supply, Orschelns, etc or maybe even Home Depot, and buy a  brass rod just under the size of your bore. I dont remember what size mine is, but it also fits .357s.
I threaded the end of mine and added an old shotgun cleaning rod handle, but a wood ball on the end would work too.
Use this to safely and gently push the bullet back out. It also works for slugging barrels.
Mine has enough weight that it usually just takes me dropping it in the barrel a few times to dislodge stuck bullets.
Lot cheaper than 50.00 and a trip to the 'smith.

In our cowboy shoots, a lot of folks download their ammo so much that they have squibs. I have had one myself, but it wasnt due to downloaded ammo.
What is the load you are using??
RipT

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »
Much obliged for the info RIPTombstone. Brass rod would sure work better than the wood dowel I had. That weight probably would do the trick.

With my lever action, the housing assembly prevents me from pushing the bullet from behind. After a few attempts from the front it didn't move so I decided not to put too much force fearing the bullet expanding, or wood from the dowel splintering inside.

The brass rod will be my next hunt at the depot. Thanks again.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »
Probably a good choice to stop if all you had was a wood dowel. I know a guy that stuck a broken off dowel thru his hand, when it broke doing pretty much the same thing you were.
You can probably just epoxy a round ball on the end of it, and I may end up going to that, as my handle is starting to crack from a few times we had to whack a bullet out of the muzzle end of a lever gun.
In the store, look over where the threaded rod, steel plate, and iron strap is.
Good luck!
RipT