Author Topic: Powder Reviews  (Read 9803 times)

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
Powder Reviews
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »
Okay, I'm just getting into this reloading thing myself... but I've learned something after only 100rds: All powders were not created equally!  I thought it would be nice if we could all talk about what powder we use and how we like it, what we use it for, etc... and those who follow behind us can gain the knowledge. (I'm sure there are other forums out there were it is already discussed... I just don't know where)

So here's my review on:

SR-7625
Use: 45ACP
Price: It was the cheapest powder I could find.  About $19/lb I believe, local gun shop
Performance: Eh, I don't have much to compare it to and any variances are more likely due to me still learning.
Cleanliness:  Horrible... this stuff was worse than the Wolf ammo (Russian) with the steel cases.  Maybe a reflection of price?

~CRCJ

Offline longrifle

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Powder Reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:25:19 PM »
I used Unique for my .45 Long Colt rounds. Pretty clean, Load it down for target shooting to a hot load of 9.5 grs to shot out of a '92 Winchester repro. Overall, I like its versatility, use from target shooting to hunting.

longrifle

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 05:17:06 PM »
I like to use Universal for my .45 and .40, it's clean and flows nicely through my powder charger.  I use Varget for my .308, .243, and .223.  I was looking for powders that could be used in a broad spectrum of cartridges and asked the guys at Hodgdon what they recommended.   I'm happy with both.

Offline vgun

• Prepper
  • Born to be riled
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 10:48:33 PM »
Titegroup for 9MM
Bullseye for 45 ACP and 38/357

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 05:33:58 AM »
Titegroup for 9MM
Bullseye for 45 ACP and 38/357

I guess I was hoping for more than a "This is what I use" page... can you tell us why you use that?  Is is clean/dirty, expensive, cheap... etc?

Offline pac1911

• Senior Survivalist
    • Safety Solutions Academy
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »
Titegroup or VV 320 in .40 loaded long.clean buring, and soft shooting with a 180 grain hollow point.

Blue dot for .40 shtf self defense stockpile.  with a 135 gr hp the 1250fps immitates the .357 mag terminal ballistics well.  dirtier and flashier than I would like but we cant haveit all.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 09:51:56 PM »
I like Varget for my hunting rounds in .270, .243, 30-30, 7.62x54R, and 30-06. I like the fact I can buy one powder, adjust the powder measure, and go to town loading without worrying about having the wrong powder. Its clean shooting, fairly fast shooting (fps), and the recoil is nicer on the shoulder than factory rounds (at least to me). It has also proven to be accurate in my rifles. I have to use a RCBS powder measure with Varget, as the extruded grains make my Dillon bind up and shear powder.

I like TrailBoss for my 45 Colts, and 45 Schofields. It fills the case up more than halfway so a double charge will overflow the case. Velocity is low, meaning good for practice and our competition. Accuracy is also pretty good. I have tried it in 38s and 357s, but dont like it in these as much. Forgot why now its been so long. It meters well from my DIllon, but tends to leak a few flakes once in awhile.

I like Clays for my 38 specials and .357s. It is a good powder for these. I tried it in the 45 Colts, but it seemed to suffer from position sensitivity. Accuracy is very good, and it is a nice practice round as well.

Others I have tried, but I dont use much are Universal Clays, which I do use in 45 Auto with success, and 3100, which I hated.
RipT

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »
Blue Dot for 38/357
4227 for 44mag
748 or Varget for 308

Offline Rockhound

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
I use Unique in my 45 ACP rounds.  I have tried HP-38/W231 and it was a little too dirty for me.  I find the Unique burns cleaner.

I tried Unque in my 9mm (5.2 grains with a 124 grain copper plated bullet), but it filled the case so much there was not much headspace for seating the bullet.  Made me nervous, so I went back to HP-38/W231.  I might try Bullseye next for 9mm.

I also load 44 Special for my Ruger Super Blackhawk.  I have tried HP-38/W231 (very dirty) and Trailboss.  I am still experimenting with Trailboss.  I am going to try Unique but haven't made it back to the range yet.

Offline BlueSmoke

• Prepper
    • Pardner Protector
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 08:16:35 PM »
I use Unique with most revolver rounds with cast bullets.

Ramshot True Blue with 9mm loads.

Ramshot Zip for 45 ACP loads.

Accurate Arms No. 9 for 44 mag high pressure hunting loads.....240gr Jacketed and 300 hard cast.
The No. 9 seems to have a nice pressure curve for the 44 mag cartridge.

AA4350 for most modern center fire rifle cartridges......270 win, 30-06 etc.....

Remember..... powders have a certain pressure range they are designed to operate at for good efficiency and clean burning qualities.

For example you should not use a "slow" burning powder to make up some low velocity cast bullet loads.  If you do you will get inefficient combustion, lots of unburned powder left over, and large velocity variations.

Regards,

BlueSmoke

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »
I like HP-38 /WIN 231 for pistol because I could generally find one or the other since there the same thing.  It also works in the 3 rounds I reload; 9mm, .45, 44mag.  I guess I didn't notice that it was really any dirtier than remington factory loads. I think that the published number are a little light.  I have gone as high as 6.0 grns under a 230 fmj in .45.  I don't have a chrono but the cases and primers looked just fine.  Of course these loads were fired out of HKs with a fully supported chamber.  At 6.0grns I am .3 over the max load in my old manual and .7grn over in the new manual.  I don't know why the new manual is so much lower.

I like H-322 for my .308 and .223 because it will load both and it meters AWSOME!  I do not get complete burn though in my M&P ar-15 m4 clone though. 

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 09:26:57 AM »
I use Unique for just about everything that is a pistol.  380, 9mm MAK, 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 44 MAG, 45 COLT.  It is a pretty clean powder, meters well and is "middle of the road" on most load data sheets.

My brother has used Universal. I hear it meters well, is a little dirty but not too bad, and gives some good performance numbers.

I use BL(C)2 for 223 and one of my favorites 7mm TCU.  For those of you who do not know what it is...  you take a 223 case, neck it out to 7mm.  When the bullet is seated, the charge is compressed (I use 28 g BL(C)2).  So far I have only seen Thompson make barrels for it in the Contender 1 and 2 and Encore platforms.  I have an older contender, the 7mm barrel is 10" long, that much powder in a 10" barrel... the thing belches fire ~ 6 feet out the front end.  It is one of the loudest things I have ever seen.

for the big guns; 22-250, 243, 30-30, 30-06, 300 WIN MAG I am currently using H414.  It meters extremely well, is a nice balance for all around general use.

I have use IMR 4350 in the 300 and 30-06.  The performance was better, but metering it is an.... %$*&#. 

I plan on trying some of the Ramshot powders here pretty soon.  I have my eye on the TAC for 30-30 and possibly 22-250.  The Big Game for 30-06 and 300 (maybe) if I have extra $, I will look into their Magnum for the 300.