Author Topic: dutch oven?  (Read 4979 times)

Offline ksrasg

• Prepper
dutch oven?
« on: February 09, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »
I am looking for a good dutch oven.  The one I saw at walmart looked real thin so I was looking for suggestions.
k

Offline theadob

• Survivor
Re: dutch oven?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 05:27:30 PM »
I use Lodge products.  You can usually find their products just about any where including walmart.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:24:36 PM »
There are 2 kinds of dutch ovens - one with a rounded top and no legs, and one with a relatively flat top with a lip and with 3 legs. The round top basically sits in the coals, the flat top/lip lets you put coals on top for baking.

Whichever you are looking for, you cannot go wrong with Lodge.

Offline sawtac

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bert the Turtle
    • Sawtooth Tactical
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »
Are you planning on a dutch oven for the kitchen (in the oven or on the range) or campfire cooking.  If you plan on using charcoal then you may want the one with legs and the flat top.  The legs allow for a layer of coal under it and the flat top allows for covering the lid with coals.

This isn't mandatory.  I've used a flat bottom over coals (I use a grill rack and bricks) and just pile the coal on top.  You'll just want to be very careful when you take the lid off so you don't dump any coal or ash into the food.  ;)

I like lodge but even they aren't all made in the USA anymore.  The Cabelas dutch ovens look pretty decent.  I'd stay away from aluminum and stay with cast iron.  Gte something made in the USA if you can find it.

Offline Tackleberry

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Teotwawki tribe

Offline ksrasg

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 07:44:36 PM »
thanks for the info

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 07:54:09 PM »
The question needs to be more specific. For indoor use on the stove top or oven a dutch oven with flat bottom and roundy top is the choice. For outdoor use, as mentioned previously, the same D.O. can be used on a grill, but the preferred is one with little legs and a lidded top. The size is also of great importance. One might think they need to get the largest they can find and afford, but you need to consider what you will use it for. If you want to put a chicken in it you will need at least a 4 quart.If you want to use it for a rack of ribs then shape is another consideration, for which you will need a rectangular D.O. These are a little bit more difficult to find on the market.

The great thing about the outdoor, or legged D.O.'s is that you can stack them. We (two people) use the 1 quart size when camping and stack them with say potatoes in one and meat in the other. Sometimes you can find a D.O. at a garage sale for cheap because the lid is missing. I have one of those that I use on the grill and put it under the meat with either wood or water for smoking or steam. Other times I fill it up with coals and potatoes. Each charcoal briquet has so many btu's and you can quite accurately determine temp by the number or coals you use.

The Lodge brand is excellent and is pre-seasoned, but I prefer to buy unseasoned and do it myself. Unseasoned brands however are generally poorer quality and the castings don't always have a great lid to pot fit. You want a good fit there for the pressure effect. Beware of D.O.'s from China as they use lead and scrap metal in the casting.
I do the original seasoning with lard and thereafter with beeswax. First time seasoning turn the oven upside down so the excess drips into the fire as to prevent a buildup of gooey residue. Before using as it is heating up I use spray oil. Never use soap, only hot water and a rag, or salt if you need abrasive. If it loses its' slick, heat it up and swab it with beeswax and wipe it clean.

I have a couple of D.O.'s that have been in the family for close to 100 years and use them regularly. For great baby back ribs, throw them in the D.O. for an hour before you put them on the grill. As Jack mentioned in a recent show (#367) a D.O. is perfect for a solar oven. For this a stove-top D.O. works great. In fact I think you could almost cook in a D.O. by just sitting it the sun! I know I can't hardly pick up the lid it gets so hot if left in the sun.

For stove-top D.O.'s Gander Mountain sells one that has a lid that also can be used as a frying pan. I think that is a Lodge brand. A D.O., due to it's heavy lid, can almost replace a pressure cooker and is more practical for such things as beans, rice, etc. due to the fact that the lid can be easily removed to check on the food and to add to it without the complexity of a pressure cooker. And it is also said that the iron of the D.O. contributes to the flavor.

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »
If this is your first D.O , check out your local second hand stores. Save yourself several dollars to figure out if you really like it. If you plan on using this for outdoor cooking, there is lots of trial and error in figuring out the coal to heat ratio for simmering, baking etc. (mostly error on my part, but I've got it now). Try to stick with a Lodge product.

Offline tbharris09

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 01:36:51 PM »
If you are just starting out my vote is for the flat bottom lodge.  Thats what I purchased a year or 2 ago and have had great luck with it.  Most of my cooking is done on a stove top though and not out doors.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 02:35:04 PM »
I found one of the bigger DO's at a yard sale, with the legs and the lip on top, for $50.00.  I love cooking with cast iron, and plan on handing all my pots on to the next generation of Greywolf's ;D

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 06:14:15 PM »
+1 on Lodge/ I prefer the flat top, but just an old geezers .02 ;)