Author Topic: Morse Code Tips...  (Read 12535 times)

Offline JS_280

• Prepper
Morse Code Tips...
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:14:10 PM »
I'm stuck guys...

I was able to go from not knowing morse code to around 12-14 WPM over a period of a few weeks.  The problem is that I've been stuck there for several weeks now.  Instead of recognizing "patterns" I'm counting dits and dahs which is definitely a huge hindrance.  When I listen to CW transmissions, I hear the dits and dahs and then (for lack of a term) have to sort through the A-Z, 0-9 "index" in my head to match the number of dits and dahs to a letter or number.

Anyone else deal with this and have any tips on how to listen for the pattern and not count?  And if so, consider this a request for a future article in the TSPHRC newsletter... ;)

By the way...thanks again Truik for all of the time you've dedicated to putting the TSPHRC and newsletter together!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:18:56 PM by JS_280 »

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: Morse Code Tips...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:37:37 PM »
Don't know if it will help, but this is the jumping off page I used.  Its got some nice pointers to terminology (Like the Farnsworth method) that may make your internet searches for other systems more productive.

I know its not much but hopefully you find what your looking for.

I used to be a 110 WPM touch typer, (Out of practice and lucky if I can hit 90 now) There are points at different levels that are kind of like obstacles. (40 WPM for typing, then again around 65 or 70, and then again around 90 to 100).  each one requires a tiny bit of alteration in the way you think about the typing to move past them.  I'm sure Morse is the same way,  its finding those little obstacles and picking up the needed info to get past it.

Offline KC8SON

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 02:03:48 PM »
Don't know if this will help or not, but there is a morse code podcast at: http://www.morseresource.com/podcasts.php.   The same message is recorded in various speeds.

Offline JS_280

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »
Don't know if this will help or not, but there is a morse code podcast at: http://www.morseresource.com/podcasts.php.   The same message is recorded in various speeds.

Wow...thanks for that.  I can add them to my podcasts and listen to them on the way home from work.  Since it's a simple quote, I can translate it (again...I'm guessing that I should be "thinking in morse" not translating) at the office and be able to listen for the letters on the drive home.

Offline dmart

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »
I like this link.  I have problems getting my speed past 13 WPM also.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:48:49 AM »
The best thing you can do is to get on the air and actually use the code under real world conditions.  There are a lot of means of keying a radio, but I strongly suggest you learn with a straight key to begin with.  In the legendary SHTF situation, you may not have anything better to key with than a couple of bare wires.  check out the SKCC, http://www.skccgroup.com

Membership is free and they do a lot of on air elmering.

Coyote

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 04:00:34 AM »
Up until a few weeks ago, I hadn't even listened to code since I took my 5 WPM test back in the early 90s.  Figured it was time so I'm starting over.  I'm using a mix of the G4FON training sw (Koch method) (http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=21323), Chuck Adam's K7QO training course for my mp3 player, W1AW code transmissions and listening to actual QSOs (not ready to dive in yet).  Finding that the training sw really helps as I can push the character speed to 20 or more WPM which forces me to listen to the pattern rather than counting dits & dahs.  Thinking the biggest gains will come once I get proficient enough to actually get on the air.

Offline JS_280

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:13:59 PM »
I've been using "Learn CW Online" at www.lcwo.net which lets you track your progress.  It's free and easy to use which is nice.

KB3OMJ

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 02:03:13 AM »
I think just abt everybody starts out counting dits and dahs - it's just the way it is.  Now a disclaimer from me...I'm no expert that's for sure, but my Elmer told me quite awhile ago to "listen for words not characters".  Now in my opinion this makes a lot of sense.  Take for example:  when you hear 'cq' when listening to your rig, you've heard it so many times you know what the characters 'c' and 'q' are automatically.  You don't think, hmmm c and q, you hear it and know what it is.  Let me share this with you.  Another long time ham told me abt a book called The Art and Skill of Radio Telegraphy.  You can google it and even find an online version of it you can read.  But because I am a book nut, I bought it.  Agn, in my opinion, the best dang book on Morse Code ever printed.  I have read it cover to cover three times.  I am not trying to sell you the book, I have no financial interest in the book, I just believe in the book.  If you wish, check it out.

Rich..

Offline Tiderian

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 06:44:34 PM »
Sweet fancy Moses! That 30 WPM doesn't even sound like different letters... sounds like modems talking or something!   :o :)

Offline rhaig

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »
I'm just getting started in CW.  Everyone I spoke with told me to start learning at the speed I want to be able to copy code.  So I'm using software to learn with koch method at around 20wpm.

I agree with what people have said about listening for words.  This is nigh on impossible at slower speeds.  At field day, the guy working the CW station had a speaker and I could certainly hear "CQ" as opposed to hearing a C and a Q. 

The other tip I like is that when listening to the code, if you're not copying words, don't think in terms of dot's and dash's, but in dits and dahs. 
dahditdahdit dahdahditdah as opposed to dashdotdashdot dashdashdotdash.

it's easier to sing the dahs and dits to yourself than dashs and dots

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 06:08:49 PM »
  Try learning the code at a speed where you can't copy the individual Dits and Dahs in each letter. The Fransworth method. I couldn't copy code in my head till I hit 30 wpm. That's when I copied whole words and not letters. It didn't last long, but for 6 short weeks I was up there.  73

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 06:20:55 PM »
I still have not achieved the level that I strive for, mostly to lack of free time.

1) Be patient.  Time with the stone will  hone the blade.  Keep at it and one day it will "click".
2) In the same mannor that you recognize CQ without counting dots/dits,  you will start to HEAR letters AND words.  See number 1.

Every person is different.  Some might master over night, some might just get a handle in a decade.  Be happy with whatever progress you make, and strive for improvment and you will always be challanged and improving.

The reward is not the destination, in morse code, like life... its the travel that is the reward!

TOG

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 11:57:18 PM »
Do it at least 10 minutes each day. I have taken two weeks off due to being super busy and I can tell my CW has gone downhill.

Cedar

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 08:15:11 AM »
this i ahve found recently...They may help.
Remember, Morse is Music!

http://www.zzickle.com/misc/morsecode.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code_mnemonics

Offline DoctorWho0077

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 03:31:39 AM »
Remember, Morse code like any other learning must be assimilated into long term memory, we have no real control over that function except to keep repeating lessons that become part of long term memory, just like driving a car, after a long time you drive without thinking every little driving related move.

It is true that learnng Morse code as music is a better method, Morse code is a language like any other language, you listen for words, not letters.

Offline K7JLJ

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 06:31:48 AM »
https://k7jlj.wordpress.com/2017/01/10/learning-to-talk-cw/

My two cents worth as someone still learning the basics.  Most important lesson for me was to start copying at 30CPM Farnsworth.  I found myself counting even at 20WPM.