Author Topic: DOC K'S MEDICINE LIST  (Read 112451 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: DOC K'S MEDICINE LIST
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »
Hmm, I"ll PDF it (if Doc does not mind) and make the PDF available for people. Chime in if you want it.

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »
Hmm, I"ll PDF it (if Doc does not mind) and make the PDF available for people. Chime in if you want it.

Great idea!  Go for it.  Can I get a copy?   ;D

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2010, 05:26:06 PM »
I'd love a copy, too... thanks Archer!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »
PDF is at: http://aedra.com/~tsp/tsp-hosted/DOC_KS_MEDICINE_LIST.pdf
It's just the first 20 (wheh! 20 pages!! Good job Doc K!) w/o the comments.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2010, 06:12:24 PM »
Most solid dosage forms will be o.k. Where you will run into trouble is with the injectables- for ex. penicillin in vet stuff is o.k. for human use (but a different concentration so you will have to know the dosage you need and extrapolate from there), but some of the antiinflamatory drugs use an oil base that could be harmful to humans. I guess if it is all you can get then it is better than nothing in a SHTF scenario but you really need human meds to be completely safe. Just an old geezers .02 ;)

Thanks so much, Phargolf; I was hoping you would offer an opinion!  I saw a post on another thread that linked to sources for fish antibiotics in capsule form, and I wondered about those products. 

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
PDF is at: http://aedra.com/~tsp/tsp-hosted/DOC_KS_MEDICINE_LIST.pdf
It's just the first 20 (wheh! 20 pages!! Good job Doc K!) w/o the comments.

Thanks, Archer.  I had cut and pasted the original post, but this is much better. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »
Thanks, Archer.  I had cut and pasted the original post, but this is much better. 
No problem..

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2010, 09:02:15 PM »
Once more, Doc, thanks for a very through answer.  Please allow me to rephrase:  is there any oral, easily stored diabetes med worth considering for TEOTWAWKI preps?

Forget the karma points… I’ll take the beer!  

Good question.  Insulin does not store well long term.  
Unfortunately, Metformin (Glucophage) does have the potential to cause a deadly lactic acidosis.  I left this one off the list on purpose, because without a lab to watch for kidney function this medicine would potentially be very unsafe.  But if the alternative is death from diabetic ketoacidosis, then I may risk it.  Metformin also has the unfortunate side effect of causing severe GI upset, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea in some people when they first start taking it.  When I prescribe this medicine, I always start at a low dose and work up to the treatment dose needed.

If you had a lab (or no other options) here is the dosing:
Metformin (Glucophage) - Immediate Release Form
Start with 500 mg by mouth daily for a week;
Then increase to 500 mg by mouth twice daily for a week;
Then increase to 500 mg by mouth in the a.m. and 1,000 mg by mouth in the p.m.
You can work your way up to 850-1,000 mg by mouth twice a day (I wouldn’t go any higher without a laboratory available).

Metformin (Glucophage) – Extended Release (ER) Form
Start with 500 mg ER by mouth one time daily for a week;
Increase by 500 mg ER daily every week to an final dose of 1,000-2,000 mg total ER daily.

Check out this link to another thread where homemade insulin is talked about quite a bit.

Hope this helps,
Doc K

here's a couple more to consider. Assuming you need something reasonably priced(therefore generic available), you can also use glyburide, glipizide or chlorpropamide(the old diabinese but it isn't available much anymore).Hope this helps

Offline Oregun89

• Prepper
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2010, 01:02:23 AM »
A great list Doc, something i'll keep on hand, thanks to Archer.

Offline Koontzy

• Prepper
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2010, 01:53:12 PM »
thanks for the info...I was just asking a few people about this same subject the other day...

thanks!

Offline SaltyHobbit

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2010, 08:16:07 PM »
Been a minute since I've checked out this thread thanks a ton for the info

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2010, 12:19:50 AM »
Here is the most reliable source I could find about the efficacy of elderberry as an antiviral. The abstract indicates it works by increasing inflammatory cytokine production to stimulate the immune system, and has the potential to reduce flu symptoms by 3-4 days. Another unreliable source that I found stated that the cytokine increase produced by elderberry has not been linked to cytokine storm, which is one of the ways swine flu kills you.

Does anyone know how to download the entire study from pubmed.gov? All I can ever get are abstracts from this site.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11399518

Abstract
Sambucus nigra L. products - Sambucol - are based on a standardized black elderberry extract. They are natural remedies with antiviral properties, especially against different strains of influenza virus. Sambucol was shown to be effective in vitro against 10 strains of influenza virus. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study, Sambucol reduced the duration of flu symptoms to 3-4 days. Convalescent phase serum showed a higher antibody level to influenza virus in the Sambucol group, than in the control group. The present study aimed to assess the effect of Sambucol products on the healthy immune system - namely, its effect on cytokine production. The production of inflammatory cytokines was tested using blood - derived monocytes from 12 healthy human donors. Adherent monocytes were separated from PBL and incubated with different Sambucol preparations i.e., Sambucol Elderberry Extract, Sambucol Black Elderberry Syrup, Sambucol Immune System and Sambucol for Kids. Production of inflammatory cytokines (IL-1 beta, TNF-alpha, IL-6, IL-8) was significantly increased, mostly by the Sambucol Black Elderberry Extract (2-45 fold), as compared to LPS, a known monocyte activator (3.6-10.7 fold). The most striking increase was noted in TNF-alpha production (44.9 fold). We conclude from this study that, in addition to its antiviral properties, Sambucol Elderberry Extract and its formulations activate the healthy immune system by increasing inflammatory cytokine production. Sambucol might therefore be beneficial to the immune system activation and in the inflammatory process in healthy individuals or in patients with various diseases. Sambucol could also have an immunoprotective or immunostimulatory effect when administered to cancer or AIDS patients, in conjunction with chemotherapeutic or other treatments. In view of the increasing popularity of botanical supplements, such studies and investigations in vitro, in vivo and in clinical trials need to be developed.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2010, 10:52:02 AM »
Many thanks for this extremely valuable resource, Doc K (and thanks Archer for consolidating it all).

Doc K - would you see value in having IV solutions of various stripes among ones supplies? (with giving sets, obviously).  Whether used to fight shock or administer intravenous medications, they seem valuable today, presumably they would be in a SHTF situation as well (whether short term or long).

Dinner and adult beverages on me should you find yourself in Southern California, Doc K!
-N

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2010, 11:04:56 AM »
Doc K is a little busy right now.  I doubt he'll be able to reply to you.  I know he will if he can.

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2010, 01:36:41 PM »
Doc K is a little busy right now.  I doubt he'll be able to reply to you.  I know he will if he can.

I'll be in and out for the next month or so.  'Tis the life of a military family. :)

Does anyone know how to download the entire study from pubmed.gov? All I can ever get are abstracts from this site.

You have to have an account that has permissions to the journal that is referenced.  This journal, European Cytokine Network, is not a mainstream journal, so most accounts will not have access to it.  You could try visiting your closest university or medical school library and talking to the reference librarian.  Sometimes they will get you copies for no charge, sometimes not.

Doc K - would you see value in having IV solutions of various stripes among ones supplies? (with giving sets, obviously).  Whether used to fight shock or administer intravenous medications, they seem valuable today, presumably they would be in a SHTF situation as well (whether short term or long).

If you know how to administer IV's, then I would definitely keep the supplies on hand.  But be warned, once you start obtaining medical supplies, you won't know where to stop - Am I stocking for one big bleed?  For multiple bleeds?  For severe dehydration?  For temporary measure or for many years of use?  Will I attempt minor surgery if things become that desperate?  What supplies do I need for that?  ...and on and on it goes... Next thing you know, you have a bunch of rubbermaid bins full of medical supplies "just in case" and maybe or maybe not the skills to use them.  This is why I pray things don't ever collapse to a level that I ever need to use my supplies.

For those of you who do not have the knowledge or ability to place an IV, here is a link for some more ideas about rehydration.  Note, if there is a trauma, and you are attempting to give fluids for fast resuscitation and not for slow rehydration, IV fluids are really the only way to go.

Hope this helps,
Doc K

Offline crice118

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2010, 08:15:32 AM »
question - some of my relatives/friends are on methodone (various reasons - they just are) what medications OTC to be used for DT's and other problems if people can't get their methodone (or maintenance meds (mom's been on darvocets for over 25 years or other addictions to ease - I know not much but any could help)  cause of a shtf
hopefully something would be better than nothing to help the suffering

Offline BatonRouge Bill

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2010, 08:56:31 AM »
Great Posts Doc K and thanks Archer for the PDF!
So does elderberry wine have those same antiviral properties....to be used for medicinal purposes of course ;)
Also I wonder if cooking would effect the antiviral properties
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:59:32 AM by BatonRouge Bill »

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2010, 09:53:24 AM »
Thanks Doc and Archer.  I have added this to "Nates Survival Library" folder that I keep on all my external HD's, pc's and flash drives.  Great resource!  Thanks again!

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
I printed the list out and laminated each sheet.

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2010, 09:57:52 PM »
question - some of my relatives/friends are on methodone (various reasons - they just are) what medications OTC to be used for DT's and other problems if people can't get their methodone (or maintenance meds (mom's been on darvocets for over 25 years or other addictions to ease - I know not much but any could help)  cause of a shtf
hopefully something would be better than nothing to help the suffering

There are lots of online resources on how to wean people off of methadone. It would be the same process as for weaning people off of methadone after heroin addiction treatment. I imagine that would be the best way to use your dwindling supply, rather than taking the full dose up until the end.

On the ambulance we give benzodiazepine sedatives for people in DT's. But you wouldn't have that either. That's where my knowledge of the subject ends. I suspect you could just keep them calm and hope they survive the event.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2011, 09:24:24 PM »
Great list Doc K. Again you impress me with your knowledge of drugs, no offense intended but most physicians(or pharmacists) do not have your extensive knowledge of drugs. I looked over your list twice and couldn't think of a thing you left out (except maybe some lidocaine or septocaine inj. for dental work, but again i am not a dentist).

Doc, another question...  Any advice about adding some epinephrine to lidocaine to help control bleeding?  I didn't realize how often the two are used together.  My doctor showed me how much I bled with just lidocaine (not sure how this came up, but it turned into a science experiment on me!), and then did the lidocaine and epi and while it still bled it was much less.  This was for some non-elective surgery that I was awake for.  It was neat to see how the epi caused pretty immediate vasoconstriction.

Offline conservative01

• Survivor
  • Remember, you create your own anxiety.
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
@ reefmarker
Here is and old saying about where not to use lido w/ epi. Never use it on "fingers, toes, nose, earlobes or your hose ;)" the blood vessel constriction it causes could turn into a major problem worse than the laceration that needs sutures.  :)

Offline rjselzler

• Prepper
  • Specialization is for insects.
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2011, 05:21:45 PM »
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned (I did a search for "Silvasorb" forum-wide and got no hits). I know that this stuff is amazing in the context of long term care wound-care. It is expensive, but man does it work. Just a thought.

Offline Leonidas

• Prepper
  • I am who I am.
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2011, 07:09:48 PM »
Hey Doc K, Thanks for this list a BIG +1

I Didn't see Paracetamol 500mg on your list (Its the first thing most of us Brits reach for when we have a headache etc..)
Just wondered, why its not there?
Is it because its pretty useless compared to others?

Much Respect Leo

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »
Thanks this a great resource. An area that I am etremely unprepared. Thankfully we have a couple of nurses in the family.

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2011, 04:08:56 AM »
Hey Doc K, Thanks for this list a BIG +1

I Didn't see Paracetamol 500mg on your list (Its the first thing most of us Brits reach for when we have a headache etc..)
Just wondered, why its not there?
Is it because its pretty useless compared to others?

Much Respect Leo

Good question. 
Paracetamol is the same as Acetaminophen (a.k.a. Tylenol) in the U.S.  And it is very useful.
Same drug, different name.  The Colonies always have to be different! :)

Doc K

Offline Leonidas

• Prepper
  • I am who I am.
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2011, 03:27:14 PM »
Thanks for the Reply Doc K.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;   

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2011, 09:12:26 AM »
This is also very good information for U.S. travelers to the U.K. Thanks, Doc.

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2011, 10:18:34 AM »
FYI,
I know jack has interviewed her in the past but in case you need it here is the you tube site for the patriot nurse. She is, obviously, not a doc, but lots of good info as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePatriotNurse