Author Topic: Nylon Shelter halves like the canvas one we used in the Marines  (Read 3865 times)

Offline wlfhwk1

• Prepper
I'm am looking to buy a set or two of the nylon shelter halves. I have found them online for a good price per set, but I wanted to know if any of the supporting vendors of TSP sell these so I could give them my business. I searched the forum and look through the site of vendors I thought might carry them but no luck. I know someone out there knows the answer off the top of his or her head. Thanks for the help.

Offline Joe

• Survivor
    • Survival Cycling
Re: Nylon Shelter halves like the canvas one we used in the Marines
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:54:06 PM »
I have a friend that used rainflys for this after some old tents wore out.  He just took the old rainfly and made a shelter.  Its super light and works great. 

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 01:51:58 AM »
For our Ultralight Kits, we use Silnylon tarps.   They're not as good as a tent in really rainy or snowy weather, but they work quite well.

The Professor

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 06:48:03 PM »
They're not as good as a tent in really rainy or snowy weather

At times they can be better in those conditions!  It's about site selection and exploitation.

Muddyboots

Offline 03USMCRAR_WA

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 11:01:20 PM »
Don't get me wrong devil i got more than a few fond memories of boot camp but the shelter half wasn't one of them. I'm a very big proponent of a good bivy bag over just about anything else unless in the mountains or in a jungle environment such as the south Pacific where a a hammock is just flat awesome. My biggest problem with a shelter half is the fact that one has to sleep on the ground. That kind of exposure with limited over head clearance in a survival situation is not the most ideal.