Author Topic: NYC's Priciest Hair Extensions  (Read 6876 times)

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
NYC's Priciest Hair Extensions
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:14:33 AM »
There goes the prepper budget!

MYFOXNY.COM - How much would you pay to have the hair you've always wanted? For some the answer is: Whatever it takes.

Brandi Irwin, 28, a foot model and photographer, spends tens of thousands on her hair. Indeed, she may just have the most expensive hair in New York City.

She gets her more than $46,000 locks from stylist Kristina Barricelli and her team at Gemini 14 salon in Manhattan.

Brandi's custom hairdo involves 250,000 strands of hair extensions imported from India and colored in Italy.

The extensions are put in strand-by-strand and the process takes nine hours."

"You work hard, you play hard," Brandi says. "My hair is my biggest accessory."

She says she "can't put a price" on how it makes her feel.

Barricelli says the treatment lasts a few months, which is why the cost adds up.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: NYC's Priciest Hair Extensions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:18:02 AM »
is there a picture of this?  I mean, really...... there should be a picture of 46k hair.....

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »
Oh the preps I could add with $46,000. What in the world possesses people to spend that kind of money on fake hair and every few months at that. How incredibly, insanely stupid and all because it makes her 'feel good'. So does a candle light bubble bath and it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:35:07 PM »

Offline grandma

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
She's a foot model, for goodness sake!  Why does she even .... oh, never mind; I just don't get it, but it is her $$, I guess.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »
Watching the vacuous hosts interview that useless woman and her pointless stylist made me want to vomit.

Jack was wrong, it's okay to feel contempt for the grasshoppers.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 05:46:07 AM »
How pitiful that she has such low self esteem that she needs that to make her feel good and be noticed.

Do you think she is one of the nitwits Jack was talking about the other day that use thier kitchens as their closets?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 10:25:50 AM »
She's so damn VAIN.  That's ridiculous.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 07:21:47 AM »
I don't really see what is so contemptuous about her. So she spends 46K on her hair big deal, if she has the money and wants to blow it then so be it. Good NYC foot models earn 3K a day so 46K in perspective is really not that much at all for something she clearly finds important. Certainly less than what others spend on their hair in these United States. The woman is a creature that lives in a competitive environment which sustains nay demands such extravagance simply to be seen and remembered. Far be it that I impose my personal aesthetic on another, clamoring self-righteousness as if that grants any license to be hateful.  One can't hate the gazelle for acquiring its coloration as it resides in the Serengeti. The problem lies in the society that encourages and sustains the financial caste system where teachers and nurses don't even make a tenth of that per diem. The fuel and resources wasted to sustain untenable luxuries, now there's a serious problem. That woman is 28, 47 in model years, she's working on her own brand of survival as she sees it. How conveniently the mass media fished up this little pretend blonde thing to misdirect our disdain from where it needs to be, the social structure that created this disparity in income and luxury, and handily gave women (and girls!) with less than stellar locks yet another unattainable ideal to further dent their battle-torn self esteem as now it's not just having genetically bad hair but also being too poor to do what this woman has done. The mores are what is broken here.

Remember folks we're ants in a grasshopper world. Stay on target!

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:13:18 AM »
People don't look at things in terms of what else they can do.  Typically the question they ask is "Do I want this?"  As in, I want a big house, I want a big car, I deserve a vacation to Tahiti because I work 70 hours a week.

How many people ask "What priority is this and have I done everything above it on the list?"  Or, "What is the long-term impact of this decision."

Nobody knows her situation, maybe she has $10 M in the bank and can afford it.

What we do know is that $46,000 invested even at 5% (you choose the investment) would be about $300,000 at retirement age 65.  At 8%, it would be pushing $900k.  That is the cost of ONE decision.  Add that up with all of the other decisions over the decades.

The average Joe is broke at retirement because of a lifetime of these decisions.  Granted they do it $4,700 a time for a new snowmobile or motorcycle, but they do it year after year after year.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 11:31:47 AM »
...That woman is 28, 47 in model years...

:D :D :D

Good rant, ebonearth!

I just watched that silly video.  Sheesh, it's just a 4-minute ad for the salon and the company that provides the product.  I love the bit at the end about how you can get a hair extension that's almost as good as the $46k version for just a few thousand dollars -- wow, what an amazing discount!

I thought the vanity of the customer was part of the sales pitch.  If she had said "This is a worthwhile investment that pays back in my modeling career," that wouldn't resonate with the average TV viewer.  So instead she was coached to say vacuous things about how good it makes her feel about herself, and "you work hard, you play hard."  That went along with the discussion of how women aren't skimping on hairstyling even during the economic crunch (I'd like to see the statistics that prove that!).  Look, ladies: everyone is doing it, and you can't put a price on happiness, and you can get it at a huge discount!  Buy now!!!  (Because otherwise your hair will grow on its own and you won't need to!)

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »
Considering that I have switched to Baking Soda and Vinegar to wash my hair, I guess I don't factor into those stats.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 12:53:29 PM »
Considering that I have switched to Baking Soda and Vinegar to wash my hair, I guess I don't factor into those stats.
Welcome to the no-poo revolution! I slipped a little due to having to constantly use public showers (I felt bad 'stinking up' the locker room, but I now rediscovered aspirin!) but after this bottle I am back on the wagon. Damn the torpedoes!

By the way, if you want to see grasshopper views on survival: Girl's Survival
Before someone starts hating on them, they do have a self-defense section which is more than most sites of that caliber.

Offline DustBunny

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 03:06:07 PM »
 I guess if she wants to waste her money she can. I am sad for her though, she is getting ripped off for her fake hair, it does not look all that good.

I gave up real shampoo awhile ago too. I use Dr Bronner's soap for everything.

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 03:25:15 AM »
It's her money to do with as she sees fit.  And she is a foot model.  Maybe she's doing other types of modeling as well and needs her hair to look the part, the way a plumber needs his/her equipment to do his/her job.

That said, there's got to be a cheaper alternative that would give similar quality.  At the price she's paying she should have been able to afford a top notch hair transplant or something more permanent than extensions.

Offline lavendereagle

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »
OK all here's something that I know about I live in the catskills and work in NYC 3 days a week. I work with these people and let me tell you she felt like she had to do this. I know I know you all think this is a waste but let me tell you I have bought new clothes since working down there and my friends can't believe I did this but let me tell you it's powerful. They will gossip about you and make you feel very small and unworthy. I have now regain my sanity and back on track with who I am (thank you husband).

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »
That is why I get my hair cut for $10.00 every two weeks.  For free when I can talk the wife into it.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 09:43:41 AM »
That is why I get my hair cut for $10.00 every two weeks.  For free when I can talk the wife into it.
$260 annual + tips

The thing no one here has mentioned is the genius hair dresser - break it down, she charges this dolt $10k per session (*4 sessions a year) and works 9 hours per session. That is $1100 per hour to do extensions.

Admittedly, they probably have to pay the zilch over in India at least $1.25 USD for the hair, then ship it over, add in cost of the glue strips to hang it with, rent on a ritzy NYC location - still sounds like a pretty good profit margin.

Question - my haircut at the barber costs $10, I tip $2 - what do you tip someone who does $10k worth of work on your hair?

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »
Your first born son......lol