Author Topic: Winchester Brass, blowback, and crimping.  (Read 3648 times)

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
Winchester Brass, blowback, and crimping.
« on: April 14, 2010, 05:19:22 PM »
I have a few questions that I would really curious to tackle.

1. Winchester Brass

I have had problems the other day specifically on Winchester brand .45 Colt Brass in seating the primer. My Remington, and Starline have no such issues at all. I use an RCBS universal primer, and use Wolf primers.

2. Blowback.

Is it normal for particles to blow out from the side of a single action revolver (.45 Colt)? Recently went to the range to include my wife in shooting my six guns and stood beside the wife about 2 feet away and felt particles sting my cheek. Coincidentally, I have noticed fairly new brass showing more frequency of staining dark black
(use Unique powder).

Is this blowback normal from the cylinder? Always shot alone at the range so never noticed it until now (use RCBS dies except Lee for taper crimp).

3. Crimping.

I have always taper crimped my .45 Colt brass believing it suited my needs for plinking and reducing wear of my brass. However, I am wondering by not using the standard factory crimp die if I am sacrificing accuracy and possibly this blowback issue.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Winchester Brass, blowback, and crimping.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 05:30:45 PM »
#1 I have no idea - I assume the primer pocket is otherwise clean, no issues there.... I do not clean primer pockets, have never had an issue, but I use CCI primers and Lee primer.

#2 I know on my Redhawk (44mag DA) that I will typically have some unburnt powder. I recently loaded some blue dot, bc that was what I had on had and in this load it was a fairly low volume of powder. When I use 4227, it takes up a lot more of the case volume and seems to have less unburnt powder issues. My recommendation is to stand further away.

#3 I use a factory crimp die on my 44mag, as I have had issues with bullets unseating if too lightly crimped. I am not saying this is necessary, or that you cannot use a normal crimp, but most heavy handgun loads will need a fairly heavy crimp - whatever method you use.

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 12:03:51 AM »
Much obliged Joe.

I may try normal crimps with the factory die and see if there's a difference.

I suspect my Winchester Brass is too blame for the primer issue. It was just too consistent that the Winchester brass would stick in the shell holder, and the primers would require more effort than normal in seating compared to the other brass. I do clean the primer pocket. Thanks again.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:16:01 PM »
1. I have noticed some issues when priming my 45s, but I havent paid much attention to who made it. I think maybe the Winchester has a shallower pocket than the others? I use Winchester primers with no problems, but havent had a chance to try Wolf yet.

2. Yes, pretty much normal. Shoot it at night and watch the fire come out from the cylinder gap. That, and there is a reason you dont hold it by the cylinder... There might be some things to help that issue, like recutting the forcing cone, but it wont eliminate it.

3. I use the Lee factory crimp die on my 45 Colts. Works great.

PS, Are you shooting CAS?
RipT

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:04:56 AM »
Some additional info for? #2
That is normal. I would however have anyone stand to the rear. If there is a cylinder failure it would go to the sides with DEADLY FORCE.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 06:00:09 AM »
#2 - I had a Navy Arms Schofield replica that I had to have the forcing cone chamfered. My hand holding the pistol was getting blowback on it. Didn't cost much and virtually eliminated the problem.