Author Topic: Question for the lady preppers out there...  (Read 9072 times)

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
Question for the lady preppers out there...
« on: May 11, 2010, 10:23:39 PM »
Any lady preppers out there have any suggestions for a woman's Bug Out Bag that they've found useful for themselves as opposed to the standard load-out of a BOB?

I'm looking into making my wife a BOB for the standard 72-hour duration. I'd like to keep it to a minimum of a backpack recognizing that my BOB is already a large ALICE ruck and, in the event of a walk-out, I will be shouldering most of it. Regardless I still want to get something together for her as well as my own. Bear in mind when I ask her what she'd want she tells me I'm crazy, but then when I go thru and do inventory I always hear, "Well where's mine?"...go figure...

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Question for the lady preppers out there...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 11:52:23 PM »
Well definitely include advil, or whatever her aches and pains medication is.  She will thank you for that big time.

And I also include "feminine necessities" JUST IN CASE, including pain pills.

I find that when I'm stressed out to the max, I feel pain more prevalently than I do when I'm comfy and at home.  A headache at home rarely warrants pills.  If I'm stuck in traffic, I'd do just about anything for Advil.

Anything that will make her more comfy is a good idea.  A compressed pillow (I got mine at REI for $30, and wouldn't sleep without it when I'm on the trail - it's SO COMFY), a "woobie" (soft wool military blanket - $20 from any surplus store), etc..

Oh, for both of you - get these:  http://www.go-towels.com or make your own and keep them with you.  We got some on our last trip, and they are AMAZING when you're hot and dirty.  They make you feel soooooo much better.

Her own deep plate (can be used as a bowl) is a good idea.  Especially if you make it for her.  She'll adore it.

Offline Trillias

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:50:57 AM »
Hairbrush and ties, assuming she has long hair. I can't think of anything more frustrating than being unable to get your hair OUT OF THE WAY.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:16:49 AM »
Chocolate. Makes things better for everyone.

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:51:34 AM »
If she has favorite socks, an extra pair or two of those.  My back and head can ache and I can survive but my feet need to be pampered.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »
Chocolate. Makes things better for everyone.

You've got women figured out Bartsdad - you're wife is one lucky lady!

MightyRunt

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 02:59:25 PM »
TP, hand sanitizer, moist towlettes, lip balm, a folding sun hat and sunscreen, small flashlight, some power bars or protein bars, a rain poncho and some travel size powder packets of her favorite beverage, like inst coffee or tea bags or crystal light.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 06:37:25 AM »
This is just a collection of creature comforts not anything essential for living.
  • Dental floss (other oral care toiletries as well)
  • Sweetly scented cornstarch - It's good for everything from stinky toes to dry shampoo. Make some using her favorite scent or use Tea Tree Oil, Thyme EO and Peppermint EO.
  • A charged external battery for her phone and/or MP3 player.
  • If she's a big reader like so many of us are, a copy of her favorite book or something new -- along with a tiny lightweight booklight!
  • Instant coffee packs or tea bags and if needed some packs of non-refrigerated half-and-half.
  • Bag balm, Biofreeze, Lidocaine gel, Krazy Glue & adhesive tape (ie. Transpore) for callouses, rough spots, aches and small cuts/abrasions. Most come in handy single use packs so they take up little room.
  • Gloves - something with a little leather to them but still breathable as well as latex/silicone gloves.
  • Some tailor-made gorp fashioned by her beloved husband perhaps?
  • If she is so inclined - Prayer Beads.

Offline villager

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »
Visene
Readers, if needed

Offline mskoyote

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 11:31:31 PM »
I'm looking into making my wife a BOB for the standard 72-hour duration. I'd like to keep it to a minimum of a backpack recognizing that my BOB is already a large ALICE ruck and, in the event of a walk-out, I will be shouldering most of it.
Perhaps this is totally obvious... but don't assume you'll be there. That doesn't have to be a morbid interpretation - maybe you'll be in the next town shopping or something, and unable to get home. In any case, don't emphasize comfort at the expense of practicality, though of course some things are both, and comfort is helpful psychologically. Make sure she has what she needs to survive first - don't plan to carry things she needs for survival, while she's carrying comfort items. The other way around is a better idea.

Beyond that (and not including things others have already said)...

I like sunscreen sticks (several brands are available). These are compact and solid, so no accidental spills. This can also take the place of lotion and lip balm, at least temporarily.

If she typically wears unpractical shoes and/or clothing, store a more practical change of shoes and clothing with (not necessarily in) the bag.

Include instructions for anything she may need to know - recommendations on where to go, how to use unfamiliar supplies, multiple uses for objects, etc. Even if you've gone over it before, don't assume it will be remembered in a stressful situation.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 04:12:33 PM »

Include instructions for anything she may need to know - recommendations on where to go, how to use unfamiliar supplies, multiple uses for objects, etc. Even if you've gone over it before, don't assume it will be remembered in a stressful situation.

+1 for a great answer!  Sometimes my dh thinks I remember everything he's taught me - not - especially if I'm stressed and having a panic brain freeze. Blessings TBM

Offline Dagny

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 05:08:19 PM »
This seems bizarre to some people, but if it is a woman who menstruates, I would seriously consider getting a menstrual cup, such as this one:

http://www.divacup.com/

It is a reusable cup that is worn internally, and is easily cleaned with plain water. It has the advantages of tampons without the need to have to worry about having bulky supplies, and is reusable without having to worry about laundering. Needless to say, it is very compact. IMO it is ideal for emergency situations when you may not have access to "feminine products" or a way to properly dispose of and/or launder said products that are used.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:11:31 PM by Dagny »

Offline elcoyote

• Gypsy Prepper Squad
  • Survivor
    • Crap! I'm An Adult!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
I agree with this. I use a diva cup all the time (b/c I hate spending money on supplies every month)

The only thing I would add is that it takes a few cycles to ge comfortable with it, and get the "procedure" down. So I would suggest using it for a few cycles to get used to it. The last thing you want is to be in a bad situation and have to be learning how to use it. Besides, you might find you like it, and stop using disposable supplies. But you still might want to keep a few re-usable cloth pads on hand too. If for no other reason than they can be used for so many things!

-ki-

Offline mskoyote

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 11:54:14 PM »
It is a reusable cup that is worn internally, and is easily cleaned with plain water. It has the advantages of tampons without the need to have to worry about having bulky supplies, and is reusable without having to worry about laundering. Needless to say, it is very compact. IMO it is ideal for emergency situations when you may not have access to "feminine products" or a way to properly dispose of and/or launder said products that are used.
The practicality may depend on the likely availability of clean water in an immediate disaster situation. I've always thought disposable products would be more practical for a short-term disaster... but I've spent most of my life in relatively desert climates, where access to water is likely to be the biggest issue in the event of a disaster.

Size is why I recommend OB tampons (though, like the cup, they take some adjustment and don't work well for everyone, so it's best to try them beforehand) - they don't have an applicator, and a single pack shouldn't take up considerably more room than a reusable cup. I definitely wouldn't want to carry a bulky box of full-sized applicator tampons!

Offline Lara

• TSP Med Control
  • Prepper
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 09:26:19 PM »
I'd like to start with questions before I give you my two cents.

How tall is your wife, and approximately how much does she weigh?  Also, what % of your weight is your BOB?

Thanks-
Lara

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 06:09:20 AM »
I'd put in a couple of bandanas, some feminine cleansing cloths and some chocolate "COW TAILS"...cowtails are wrapped in a metalic package and hard enough not to melt too easy. The bandanas will help with covering the hair as well as they can be used to cover the mouth or as a cleaning cloth. A couple of orange stick and an emery board would be nice too. extra socks was a good idea, I found these light, small lap blankets that don't take up much space, but sure help when it's cold or when sitting by the fire at night.

Just make sure that it's not too heavy for her.

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 01:11:10 PM »
Wife is 5'10" at about 140 (I think -  not about to open that can a worms by asking). As for my BOB percentage I guess it would be around 20%.

Offline LupaWolf

• Fledgling Prepper
    • TwoWolvesOutdoor
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »
did we cover flashlight w/ xtra batteries, compass, SAK, lighter, rain poncho?  If she is with such a thoughtful individual then she is not stupid... make sure she has necessities that appeal to her.  My brother outfitted his bride with pink gear... she loves pink, so to her it was thoughtful.
Thoughtfulness to her preferences goes a long way.

Offline MediumFrenchFry

• Prepper
  • Not without a fight.
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 12:12:05 PM »
I like to think of eyedrops and Zertecs. I get some allergies in the summer and it can get annoying very quick lol

Offline A mazed

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 08:36:04 PM »
be sure to include what is needed for blisters on the feet, bug repellant and a sm container of amonia for bites, and a small paperback by her fav writer to escape with.

Offline Mrs VTaero

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 09:21:33 PM »
You guys are amazing. I brainstormed some ideas before I read past the first post, but pretty much everything is covered!

So obviously some things are more important than others, and to some people and not others, so maybe make a list of what's posted here and ask her to look over it. Maybe prioritize it, or scratch things she doesn't want. It could also get her in the mindset to add some things!

P.S. I LOVE the instructions idea. Fantastic.

Offline Lara

• TSP Med Control
  • Prepper
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
I agree with earlier posts on many points:
  • something to use for menstruation, whether you choose tampons or any of the other products mentioned above
  • NSAIDs--it's a lot easier to focus when we're not dealing with cramps
  • boots that she likes, that she has broken in, and that fit her foot.  Many women have smaller heels than men, and bug-out gear needs to fit properly.

Some extra things to think about:
  • Be cognizant of her weight and downsize the weight of her bag accordingly to stay in the 20-30% of body weight range.
  • Don't put things in there that require a LOT of upper body strength to operate.
  • Size the bag for her torso.  Since she's 5'10" like I am, I can say from experience that many of the "women's backpacks" i.e. Lowe Alpine Sirocco, etc don't fit me.  I am much better off with a men's pack so that the hip belt fits on my hips, and not my abdomen.

I know what I'm about to say isn't a great way to win a popularity contest, but hey, that's not why I'm here.   :P  I'm a hard-ass (can I say that on a forum?), and I'm a firm believer in "if you didn't take your chance to participate in the packing of this bag, keep yer mouth shut."  Good luck with the delivery of that, and the aftermath.   :-X  I also believe in survival of the fittest, but that's probably not a topic for this thread...

Offline Wimary

• Prepper
    • The Wisconsin Times
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »
A mosquito net for her head, lightweight and could be a real comfort item in a really "buggy" forest.