Author Topic: Help in Transplanting Wild Plum Bushes  (Read 6747 times)

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
Help in Transplanting Wild Plum Bushes
« on: December 19, 2008, 10:32:17 AM »
I have decided to try and transplant some wild plum bushed. These bushes are fairly common in this area- that's one of the reasons I want to transplant some into my yard- I KNOW they will grow here and thrive. Typically you find them near a source of water however intermittent it might be.

How would I go about digging up some wild bushes and planting them without killing them? When would be the best time etc.....

SouthernLiving

Re: Help in Transplanting Wild Plum Bushes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:31:54 AM »
I've never worked with plum bushes, but they should be similar to berry bushes as far as transplanting goes.

Now is a good time while they are still dormant.  The nice thing about transpanting bushes is that you can split off several separate plantings from one large bush.  Just make sure you have plenty of root to go with a modestly sized portion of the plant above grade.  Don't worry about getting a huge bush on the top of the ground as soon as you plant it; a single trunk about 1/2" in diameter will be easier for the roots to maintain as it is getting established in a new home.  The root system can be split with a hatchet.

If there are young shoots coming up near the base of the parent bush you can sever the connecting roots and only transplant that single shoot.  Much easier than digging and moving a mature plant.

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »
Thank you.  I will see what I can dig up this weekend!

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »
Thank you.  I will see what I can dig up this weekend!
How did this go? I'd love to see if you had any success with it. I find transplanting fruit trees to be such a challenge!

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 12:54:59 PM »
STILL have not done this. I am going to make a try at it tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:49:15 AM »
Well, I slipped out to my chosen extraction site last night with a "sharpshooter". I was able to find some young bushes- they were maybe 6" tall. MAN talk about roots! Now I know why these plants do so well in our dry country.

I am hopeful that I didn't mess them up too badly...I managed to transplant 3 plants. I should know in a week or two how they are doing, if they turn brown....well it didn't work, no harm no foul.

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:53:48 AM »
if they do turn brown, don't give up hope just yet. one thing you could do to check would be to scratch the bark with your fingernail near the base, if you see green, there is still hope. they will certainly be in shock, but I would wait until next spring to give up on them.  they might pop out and surprise you.  and don't forget to give them LOTS of water all summer long....maybe a little root stimulator too.

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 11:41:44 AM »
I am pushing water to everything right now and it's working. I have 5 new trees I'm watering- two have nice leaves on them- they came bare. The others are supple- they look kinda Charlie Brownish but seem to be ok, just slow. The grape vines I planted are doing GREAT! All 5 of them have buds or leaves, lots of water and sunshine.

Going to do the same with the transplants and see if it works. Place I planted them is somewhat shaded but I don't think that will be a problem as the place where I got them from has several very large elm trees immediately over them, shading them most of the time. I think the place I put them actually replicates their living conditions fairly well. Again, just have to let it play out and see how it goes......If it works I plan to plant a huge section of my property with these- I have a place along a fence row that really needs something like this....and they're free which is hard to beat.