Author Topic: Gamo Whisper & RWJ Dania  (Read 5033 times)

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
Gamo Whisper & RWJ Dania
« on: December 20, 2008, 09:12:44 AM »
A while back, I had picked up a RWJ Dania in .22 cal. I live in town, and don't like public gun ranges. I grew up in the country and all.

I am working on my 5th tin of 250 pellets. I am a fair shot, but not as good as I want to be. Probably need professional help to get off this plateau.

My dad just moved to a place where he has neighbors. So he picked up a Gamo Whisper in .177 caliber. Between the two of us, I think we shot 100 rounds through it now.

My .22 caliber Dania is much quieter then his Whisper. To be fair, I have shot mine enough it doesn't diesel anymore - Spring piston air guns make a buzz sound from the spring. If you put some of those high velocity pellets, his GAMO goes super sonic. Very loud crack sound. Much like a .22 rimfire.

We where doing penetration tests on plywood, pine 2x4s, oak, etc. He was pointed hunting pellets, I was using flat headed wadcutters. He would blow right through the plywood, mine almost made it through. His heavier pellets would go into the pine almost half in inch, and his high velocity ones about a quarter of in inch. Mine went in about a  quarter of an inch. My .22 wadcutters mushroomed up much more then his pointed pellets did. Neither would do much into the oak. Infact, we had a ricochet back at us on the oak. Quite scary.

My heavier, slower .22 pellets hit much harder then his lighter, faster .177 pellets would. His, the board stood up would move, and it made a soft sound like sticking a screwdriver into a board. Mine, the block would jump all over the place, and sounded like you threw the board down onto a concrete floor. It just had that distinctive 'you hit the wood hard' ring to it.

I picked up some new pellets for him for Christmas. A 4 assortment set. Now we will be able to compare wadcutters to wadcutters. I will remember to bring my pointed pellets too.

If I had to pick between the two, I think i would pick my .22 cal. It just seems to pack more of a whollop then the lighter .177. I like his scope much better. I just can't get mine set right for me.

It will be interesting to see this summer when his has been shot enough that we can truly compare them. We will go out into the yard, and try shooting at 30 to 50 yards.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
Re: Gamo Whisper & RWJ Dania
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 07:33:32 PM »
The next time you do your comparison please take and post pictures for us. 

I have a cheap .177 spring-air that works well enough, but is only advertised at 650fps.  I don't use it for anything other than teaching my oldest to shoot.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 01:33:53 AM »
Did you mean RWS Diana air guns?

I can't find anything RWJ Dania related.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »
LOL, yeah, RWS Dania...
RWJ was the dorm room I lived in all through collage. Old habbits die hard.