Author Topic: Taking the Grand-Monsters Camping, need advice  (Read 6064 times)

Offline Johnny MAX!

• Prepper
  • Johnny MAX & the Queen
    • Self-Sufficient Homestead
Taking the Grand-Monsters Camping, need advice
« on: May 19, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »
Ok, I am taking the Grand-Monsters Camping this weekend, not roughing it too much, they are 4 & 5 years old. I will help them make a walking stick, or staff and make a nice rope handle. Any other suggestion for two little boys? We will be fishing of course. Teaching them to make fire is off limits... they will burn down their house!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Taking the Grand-Monsters Camping, need advice
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:39:40 PM »
Try to look at the world through their eyes.  Even if you are in a campground, take them for a hike and they will suddenly be in the middle of the wilderness.

If you take a hike, they will have all kind of questions about the things they find.  When they ask, don't really answer, ask them what they think it is.  Let them discover the world.  Kids in the woods, you really don't have to keep them entertained.

Offline Onug

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 07:41:44 PM »
Glow sticks are always a hit in our family.  We have a bean bag toss game for a game around the campsite and a kite handy if the wind picks up.  Chairs just their size are a great way to have them hold still and eat their dinner.  Geocaching is also a great way to kill time and burn energy.  We RV "camp", so there is always a tote of trucks and sand toys for playing with.

If you really want to go all out, you can do a treasure hunt.  When we went RV camping last summer with our friends, we brought "pirate" treasure and even found a couple of lunch-box type of treasure chests.  Then I walked a route throughout the park (without the kids) and programmed it into my GPS.  I stashed the "treasure" at the end of the trail and then made up a story for the kids about hidden pirate treasure in the park.  They walked along the path I'd programmed and found the treasure.  Great times.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:42:20 PM »
Maybe how to clean the fish or how to cook on a flat, heated rock.  

Ask them to describe things to you and let them work some things out for themselves.

But in an emergency, remember:  silence is golden, duct tape is silver.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »
Smores

Goatdog62

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
Leg shackles and a sock gag. ;D

As mentioned by Onug, Geocaching always makes my kids have a great day. I also like taking them down a trail and showing them various tradecraft...celestial/survival navigation tricks, natural tinder, shelter, game trails/runs, finding and purifying water, etc.

At 4 and 5 their attention spans will cap out at 20 minutes or so, but I learned that stuff at that age and it stuck. They will love it.

Offline jaegersapper

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 08:11:51 PM »
Try banana boats. 
My sons scout troop loves them.

Peel one section of the banana but don't pull the peel all the way off, scoop about a third of the
banana out, fill the space with m&ms or reeses pieces or marshmallows.  replace the peel.  wrap the
whole thing up with foil and set it next to the hot coals of a fire.  You will just have to guess on the time.

Benadryl smoothies help also. ;)

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
mmm I love banana boats, almost as much as pudgey pies or pie-irons, there seems to be a lot of names for them these days.

Another idea are ghost stories at night, always a good time, just make sure they are age appropriate, my brother wasn't always the kindest at making sure I wouldn't be having nightmares that night.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 09:51:37 PM »
cast animal tracks with plaster

take some measured plaster of pairs in small zip top bags and a way to measure water. Mix plaster right in the bag and cut  small piece of the coroner and use it like a icing bag and apply to track.

identify 10 plants.  Number one is Poison Ivy (or oak and sumac if in your area)

Offline wolfracer

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 01:43:29 PM »
cast animal tracks with plaster

take some measured plaster of pairs in small zip top bags and a way to measure water. Mix plaster right in the bag and cut  small piece of the coroner and use it like a icing bag and apply to track.

identify 10 plants.  Number one is Poison Ivy (or oak and sumac if in your area)

Awesome idea here, thanks!

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 02:26:15 PM »
I'd get a book on local edible and medicinal plants in the area (must be in color!) take a walk and see if you can identify some. The kids will love learning with you. If you are absolutely positive they are edible then try some. And if you see some plants you really like you can take them home. If you don't want to buy a book then check out the library.

Offline Johnny MAX!

• Prepper
  • Johnny MAX & the Queen
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »
Great ideas! As far as geocashing I have not geocashed in about 7 years. I wonder if my login name is still registered on the site. I set out cashes with my daughters when they were young and fought spiders, and swamps to get to some. My youngest graduates from High School next weekend. Gotta try the banana boat and the other educational adventures too.

Offline Johnny MAX!

• Prepper
  • Johnny MAX & the Queen
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 08:30:16 PM »
My Geocashe login name is gone...  :-\
I just need to make a new one and start taking the Grand-Monsters Geocashing!  :)
I used to take my lunch, my wife would meet me at a park and go geocashing.
I would return to the office sometime, with my hair blown, stickers on my socks and muddy. Those were the days!
And that was with the older GPS that would not get you very close and I paid over $300 with no features. Bought it for my sailboat.

Hey, when did they start charging? :-\

Offline Argus

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 08:51:29 PM »
The boys in my son's cub scout troop always enjoy nature bingo on campouts and hikes.  Something like this:  http://chattanooganaturecenter.org/pdf/cnc-edu-bingo3.pdf

Geocaching is definitely a lot of fun too.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 08:52:19 PM »
Let them run and play in the water. My grandkids love sitting in the shallows and making mud walls to trap the shad that come up around the shore. I can sit in the shade with a glass of iced tea and rest up from earlier walks, climbs, adventures.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 09:28:42 PM »
Bugs. You just can't go wrong with bugs.

Spend a little while grubbing around for grasshoppers, beetles, and earthworms, while explaining how edible some of them are.

Show them what lives where, and how & why, and they will be fascinated for hours.

Especially if you eat one.

That's also a good time to start them on the philosophy of "just looking" in the process--automatically doing no harm to Nature that can be avoided.

Mosquitoes excepted, of course.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 06:44:50 AM »
bird identification book.

Offline Johnny MAX!

• Prepper
  • Johnny MAX & the Queen
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »
Thanks all, great ideas!
Just got back from camping.
Here is what we did.

1) First we took a machete and went hunting for the perfect sapling for each person. Then we cut them for each person, just over shoulder height. Next we removed the bark and made handles with heavy green doped twine. They looked so cool, we were all happy. You could not getthem out of their hands, but their mom would not let them sleep with them  :-\

2) We took a dip net and caught minnows and I had brought them each an empty 2 liter bottle. Filled them 3/4 full and put the lid on tight. They kept them alive the whole time by gently (Well, most of the time) aerating the water by aerating it. They let them go free right before we left. The each had a bluegill fingerling in with the mosquito fish.

3) We did go swimming at a pond they had there that had a sand bank and bottom.

4)  We went fishing and pan fried up more bluegill than we could eat. Just had some leftovers we brought back home.

5) I had my BB gun and we talked about gun safety and they got to shoot at floating leaves on the pond. But, not too much.

6) We also brought my live catch trap. Camp site are always plagued by raccoons. We set the trap and the next morning the whole can of cat food had been eaten and the trap was sprung and empty. It had to be a raccoon that was either too long and the door did not lock, or he was able to unlock the door ad get it open.

It was a great time! ;D
JMax
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 05:56:29 PM by Johnny MAX! »

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »
Sounds like a great time.   It is likely that i these are the times that they will hold most dear in  their memories when they are older.